Themes support is in da house

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Smiley
Developer

Re: Themes support is in da house

Post by Smiley »

cruonit wrote:http://code.google.com/p/heidisql/sourc ... svn61&r=61
the original uxtheme header file with descriptions

just write your own implementation of the functions and compile it to a dll

i think this could be a clean & open source header from the minGW project that could be used:
http://www.google.com/codesearch#t4cUIr ... &q=uxtheme
do you realise that we already have headers and support for READING an msstyle file but what is missing is creating one?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

[color=#ff9900]Smiley[/color] wrote: do you realise that we already have headers and support for READING an msstyle file but what is missing is creating one?
I think cruonit did it from the best motives…
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

My suggestion: lot of people, in the past, have showed some ideas about possible layouts by posting several screenshots in these forums.
Perhaps it would be nice if they could complete the job on these themes (if not done yet) and then they could post their efforts on bugzilla: in that manner, ReactOS will have the chance to get some original graphics by installing them from RosApps (or from another repository if the development team will like this idea).
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Cario, we already have a visual style, but some of it's parts are (if I understand correctly) copyrighted by Microsoft and we'll have to remake them.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Smiley wrote:
cruonit wrote:http://code.google.com/p/heidisql/sourc ... svn61&r=61
the original uxtheme header file with descriptions

just write your own implementation of the functions and compile it to a dll

i think this could be a clean & open source header from the minGW project that could be used:
http://www.google.com/codesearch#t4cUIr ... &q=uxtheme
do you realise that we already have headers and support for READING an msstyle file but what is missing is creating one?
yes i do(the implementation that is calling the functions), betaluva asked:
there must be a way to create a msstyle from scratch?
and i told him how :)
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

cruonit wrote: yes i do(the implementation that is calling the functions), betaluva asked:
there must be a way to create a msstyle from scratch?
and i told him how :)
I still don't understand what you mean but I must apologize for my previous reply that was too rude
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Pisarz wrote:Cario, we already have a visual style, but some of it's parts are (if I understand correctly) copyrighted by Microsoft and we'll have to remake them.
I do not understand the logical relation between some free themes developed by users and Microsoft's copyrighted stuff (if it exists).
ReactOS mimics Windows Classic layout but, in theory, with theming you can create what you want...
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

From what i remember, every third party visual is copyrighted microsoft binary with replaced resources
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The msstyle files are MS copyrighted files which were edited to contain other graphics and stuff, but the skeleton is a original MS dll file. Thats the crux here.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Some time has passed since last post here, so maybe something actually has changed. We already know, that we could rewrite a msstyle file, so it wouldn't be copyrighted anymore, yes? It's a dll with no code at all, so reconstructing it wouldn't be a challenge. And if I understand correctly, all we need is someone to take care of it, right?

I've extracted all the resources from msstyles file and removed all reference to Microsoft or Luna in the .rc file and checked configuration files (theme.ini etc.) for such references (but haven't found anything like that). So now there is nothing Microsoft-related here (iirc, .rc files are generated by Resource Hacker, not extracted).

Ok, so if we aren't using hacked msstyle, it is now possible for Lautus to become a default ReactOS visual style?

Anyway, check this out guys.

Sources:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4527369/ros.ele ... legant.zip

Build instructions:
Run RosBE, go to the directory where you've extracted ros.elegant.zip and

Code: Select all

windres lautus.rc lautus.o
gcc -o lautus.msstyles lautus.o -s -shared -Wl,--subsystem,windows
Compiled file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4527369/ros.ele ... s.msstyles

Btw. ".bin" files are actually an .ini files, I don't know why they are in binary format...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

would be glad to see an activated visual style in the next release, that would make some attention to reactos because the normal users recognize more things that you can see, than that you don't see.
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

As AmineKhaldi suggested, I've remade it using sample files from WINE and cleaned up the source files, as well as renamed all those bitmaps, so it would be easier to edit it in the future. I've replaced the files on the Dropbox with newer versions, so URLs to files haven't changed.

I think that we should reconsider the possibility of integrating Lautus with ROS, as it should be possible right now.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If its a full source built file, sure ^^

We wont accept any remnants of a MS dll being hacked with and resource editor. Not just for legality, more for being able to add it to our build system
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Bitmaps, .rc file, some configuration files and makefile - I think you could easily add it to build system (though I haven't tried that, cause I have no idea how to). And the files without extensions are text files, I've forgot about extensions while copying them from StyleBuilder's source files. But works anyway. Have fun integrating ;)