Themes support is in da house

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

betaluva

Re: Themes support is in da house

Post by betaluva »

ok, i installed it and i tried to use the Windows7 RTM msstyle made by Vishal Gupta,this is the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jze-IQ2pScI

ps.. i used vmware workstation 7.0

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i wanted to show Lomghorn Plex woyuld look on ReactOS so i gave it a try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9UVH71yV1g

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

I see there is a discussion on ros-dev if reactos should have a default theme or not i think the community should decide/ choose a default theme

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

cruonit wrote:I see there is a discussion on ros-dev if reactos should have a default theme or not i think the community should decide/ choose a default theme
this is right a fre decision for a free os

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Well, by process of elimination of what we can legally distribute, the choices boil down to one or two. So how much of a "choice" is there?

zed260

Post by zed260 »

Z98 wrote:Well, by process of elimination of what we can legally distribute, the choices boil down to one or two. So how much of a "choice" is there?
well strictly speaking depending how windows 8 comes out and fares if it takes off then we may need to get a metro like reactos

i think the main goal should be to make a switch from the latest windows version to reactos as easy as possible so in that sense windows 8 completely redefines the user interface as much as windows 95

windows 8 feels about as different as linux does to the average user

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

zed260 wrote:windows 8 completely redefines the user interface
The only thing Windows 8 redefines is what users get shoved down their throats. Personally I wish there were still the same kind of user interface research that went on back in the 95 days. These days it is just whatever marketing thinks is cool. :cry:

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

ReactOS can look modern without being a windows 8 clone, people can always add a winsdows 8 style theme,as for Metro, just as many people dislike it as there are people who like it.

zed260

Post by zed260 »

betaluva wrote:ReactOS can look modern without being a windows 8 clone, people can always add a winsdows 8 style theme,as for Metro, just as many people dislike it as there are people who like it.
http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/09/WinRT

winrt which is complete replacement for win32 may be biggest problem for reactos and one problem with disableing metro some apps will need winrt/metro to run im sure

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

WinRT is not a "complete replacement" for win32. It's basically an effort to unify access to functionality across .NET and the native APIs. It therefore is more an extension/evolution of win32. And considering the version of Windows ReactOS targets is Server 2003, the whole point about metro apps is moot.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

@zed260, i was talking about the Windows 8 Metro desktop/gui, not Metro apps.
Last edited by betaluva on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As long as the freely available themes base on the msstyle files from MS, which is the case, we cant distribute ANY theme.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

So what about "compiling" an msstyles on our own? The msstyle file structure is already known, cause without this knowledge there would be no theme support at all, so what's the problem?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The problem is that noone did so up to now
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

If only I could program in C++...

Actually... I could give it a try if only someone would show me some code to base on.