Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by milon »

Webunny wrote:I really think it is underestimated how much influence such a thing can have. When I was visiting the Ros site, prior to becoming a forum member, I ALWAYS checked if there was some news, feeling disappointed if there wasn't again any. I've seen other posts expressing the same thing. In fact, I think A LOT of the more casual people visiting come back in the (idle) hope to read some news or check on the progress. And they do that on the news section of the homepage (no, devs, they don't do that with looking at the changes made in the source code of the latest build/trunk ;-) ).
This exactly describes me before I joined the forum. (It actually wasn't until this year that I even noticed the RSS update thing in the lower right corner.) I would pop in once a month or so and see if any progress had been made. It was quite frustrating to not see anything different - I really want ROS to succeed and it just felt so stagnant.

Alahndro
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Alahndro »

I also have just thought that it can be somewhat disappointing for newcomers that we didn't have a newsletter in three (!) month. Compared to the steady development and commits, that does not
represent Ros's lifesigns very well...

So i also suggest to post the minutes as newsletter, they give a monthly report on the current topics and advancements.

fred02
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by fred02 »

Alahndro wrote:I also have just thought that it can be somewhat disappointing for newcomers that we didn't have a newsletter in three (!) month. Compared to the steady development and commits, that does not
represent Ros's lifesigns very well...
Newsletters are are rare (and thus valuable ;) ) and far between, because only one person so far can write them: Z98.
I wonder if the new PR team has something in mind to enhance the situation?

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by vicmarcal »

fred02 wrote:
Alahndro wrote:I also have just thought that it can be somewhat disappointing for newcomers that we didn't have a newsletter in three (!) month. Compared to the steady development and commits, that does not
represent Ros's lifesigns very well...
Newsletters are are rare (and thus valuable ;) ) and far between, because only one person so far can write them: Z98.
I wonder if the new PR team has something in mind to enhance the situation?
There are snippets of info in Twitter and Facebook too ;)
Just follow Twitter and you will find some "fast-info".
Also, we are waiting for the new website...current one is full of bottlenecks.

fred02
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by fred02 »

vicmarcal wrote: There are snippets of info in Twitter and Facebook too ;)
Just follow Twitter and you will find some "fast-info".
Also, we are waiting for the new website...current one is full of bottlenecks.
Good to know, thank you for the update vicmarcal.
I was thinking more about a second person to help Z98 "translating" developers commit comments to layman's understandable sentences, for the rest of us. :)

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Z98 »

I don't use commit messages, I speak with the devs themselves.

User avatar
Pesho
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Pesho »

Perhaps the latest meeting minutes can be displayed on the front page? I like the current funding progress bar and SVN commit messages, they're a step in the right direction. Is there any estimate on the new website?

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Webunny »

Pesho wrote:Perhaps the latest meeting minutes can be displayed on the front page? I like the current funding progress bar and SVN commit messages, they're a step in the right direction. Is there any estimate on the new website?
Z98's newsletters are a fine read, and no doubt there has been put a lot of work in it, so I think he deserves some well earned credit for it. It probably isn't the easiest thing to do either, when having to ask the devs directly. So it can be forgiven that it sometimes takes a while for a new newsletter to arrive.

That said, the issue that I, Milos and others have raised, remains. And I don't think we have to wait for the new website, since none actually knows when that ever be finished. So: what about putting the meeting minutes on the homepage under the newssection? Many have suggested that, and I'll second it as well: it's a good idea.

If it's the same as with patches: "If you want it, just do it yourself" just say so, I'll do it myself then (provided I know where to apply to be able to do that :P ).

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Z98 »

This month's meeting will be added. The person who prepares the minutes does not necessarily have edit access to the CMS so there's a delay.

fred02
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by fred02 »

Z98 wrote:I don't use commit messages, I speak with the devs themselves.
It was just an "image". Sorry for having took too much liberties with that.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:This month's meeting will be added. The person who prepares the minutes does not necessarily have edit access to the CMS so there's a delay.
Excellent, excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing it at the homepage.


I bet many visitors will look at it.

That said, if you mean "May" with "this month", maybe one could already start with April, since it would still take two weeks for something else...

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Webunny »

So...any news on the minutes? Does it always happen at the very end of the month?

Bblaauw
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 am

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Bblaauw »

Meetings are usually end of the month (last Thursday of a month), with the minutes being made available anywhere between 1 day and 2 weeks, depending on the poor soul that volunteers for writing everything down and creating a decent story out of it.

Guess folks already noted there's a new newsletter out, which was quite interesting.

Thummed
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Thummed »

Sounds nice.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Discussion: ReactOS Meeting Minutes

Post by Webunny »

Bblaauw wrote:Meetings are usually end of the month (last Thursday of a month), with the minutes being made available anywhere between 1 day and 2 weeks, depending on the poor soul that volunteers for writing everything down and creating a decent story out of it.

Guess folks already noted there's a new newsletter out, which was quite interesting.
Ok, so, within 1-2 weeks now, we could expect seeing it at the homepage?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DotBot [Crawler], Google [Bot] and 1 guest