ReactOS on other platforms - why?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pisarz

ReactOS on other platforms - why?

Post by Pisarz »

I know, that there is PowerPC port on the way, as well as ARM port (and it's possible to have ports for another platforms too), but what's the point of porting it? There is no software for Windows, that's compiled for PPC. I don't know what about ARM. Yes, there is Windows CE on such devices, as well as Windows 8 coming to ARM devices soon, but would ReactOS be able to run applications, that were made for Windows CE?

I have no idea about how Windows CE works. Porting some libraries maybe will make those programs work on ROS, but... What's about PowerPC? Without recompiling software for it, I see no use for it on this platform (and after that, it would be just yet another OS for PPC, because you won't be able to run non-precompiled apps anyway).

Murmur

Re: ReactOS on other platforms - why?

Post by Murmur »

In my opinion there is no reason why not to have it. I am sure its not being focused on but having these different ports means we can get attention of a company or group that wants to focus on that platform or feel like MS abandoned their platform.

rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

Futureproofing.

fred02

Post by fred02 »

rembrandt wrote:Futureproofing.
also debugging and keeping the code portable, as another architecture may expose things not seen on x86. Microsoft used this approach too by developing 64bit version of w2k on Alpha. It never came to be, but code was reused for Itanium port.
Pisarz wrote:I know, that there is PowerPC port on the way, as well as ARM port (and it's possible to have ports for another platforms too), but what's the point of porting it? There is no software for Windows, that's compiled for PPC.
NT 4.0 existed for PowerPC, and 2000 almost made it on Alpha (now where to get the hardware is another thing altogether :roll: ).
Last edited by fred02 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Maybe NT 4 was released for PPC, but there aren't much apps, that were compiled for it.

fred02

Post by fred02 »

Pisarz wrote:Maybe NT 4 was released for PPC, but there aren't much apps, that were compiled for it.
Well there were Word 6.0 and Excel 5.0 at least. Add an Internet browser and you get a perfect office machine. :lol:
And what's more: no viruses :!: :mrgreen:

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Hm. This is an idea... Port ROS to PPC, then compile Firefox and some office software (OpenOffice, AbiWord or something), and you get quite great and safe office PC :D

(but porting ROS to these chineese smartbooks would be more logical decision anyway)

fred02

Post by fred02 »

My guess is that the PPC port will allow to put all these G3-G4 and earlier Macs to some use. :D
Pisarz wrote:(but porting ROS to these chineese smartbooks would be more logical decision anyway)
Are you referring to the Longson CPU based ones?

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Without proper USB support, you can't boot ROS on G3 and G4 Macs (but Ubuntu works quite fine). I had one, but I can't use it anymore because it doesn't have any OS (first my CD drive died, then partition with Ubuntu failed).

I'm refering to those XBurst or Anyka, and there are VIA WM8505 (or something) based chineese "netbooks". I saw a lot of them on DealExtreme and Allegro (which is Polish equivalent of eBay).

jcalvarez

Post by jcalvarez »

Porting an OS to different architectures is a very useful exercise, even if you end up not using the port. It makes you to go through most of the code again, re-designing crappy code and implementing things properly, in a portable way.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

ReactOS would actually make a very usable OS for an ARM based tablet, PDA, or embedded type device. On those types of devices you usually don't have to worry about being able to run any random third party application like desktop OSes do.

Also, Microsoft is supposedly porting Windows to ARM, which may mean that an ARM based ReactOS can take advantage of ARM based Windows binaries and Microsoft's development tools.

Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Pisarz wrote:but what's the point of porting it?
This is the spirit of free, opensource software.
Everyone can improve ReactOS, by adding features, drivers and even different hardware platforms.

The123king

Post by The123king »

SomeGuy wrote: Also, Microsoft is supposedly porting Windows to ARM, which may mean that an ARM based ReactOS can take advantage of ARM based Windows binaries and Microsoft's development tools.
Although the classic Aero interface running on ARM has been spotted in some developer screenshots, i expect the ARM version will ship with just a simple Metro interface and possibly Windows 7 Phone app compatability

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I also consent with jcalvarez' idea - porting is, if nothing else, a very good quality assurance exercise, and for the developers involved I believe useful, too, I mean for real-life-jobs where such experience might be of value.

b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

If you look at sir_richard's commits, and the ARM team (reactos portable systems group I think, before that), jcalvarez makes a lot more sense. The x86 implementation made a lot of assumptions that the portable Windows NT should not have made. Those should be (mostly) fixed now, and the code should be reasonable generic.

Short verion: Microsoft started it, and they're still working on it. Wo a Windows clone should... do the same, I guess?