anyone think a release cycle like firefox might work

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zed260

anyone think a release cycle like firefox might work

Post by zed260 »

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/18/life-a ... hats-next/

maybe instead of the release being every 6 weeks make it every 8 and instead of jumping whole version number jump by smaller increments like .0.1 per release
Haos
Test Team

Re: anyone think a release cycle like firefox might work

Post by Haos »

This doesnt solve any problems, only creates new one. To release, certain work has to be done. If you shorten release cycle, this means more releases per year, but also more time spent on releasing instead of other stuff like ROS development. Unfortunately, every one of us has a finite, certain amount of time one can spend working on ROS.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..
First I'd like to understand how they can be developing differente versions (aka: Firefox 4v,5v,6v) at the same time. It really doesnt have sense to me.
What happens with features/code developed during/for 4v?arent they going to go into 5v?or into 6v, as they are following "other ways"?So it can end that I get used to a 4v feature that doesnt appear in 5v or in 6v?

To carry 3 concurrent developments a lot of devs are needed, so currently it is impossible to be done in ReactOS.
And well..I am not so sure that having 8 versions of Firefox in a year will be something "cool". I am thinking in the AddOns. There are problems with AddONs when changing from 3 to 4 I dont want to imagine with 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 to 11...just during this year.
zed260

Post by zed260 »

well the way i understand it is

Firefox nightly which is version 7.0 right now can get new fetures etc landed but later on that version is transfered to aurora and is renamed 7.0a2 then at this point if there is any code that causes major issues that cant be stabilied/fixed (also at this stage when version 7.0a2 is released a new nightly builds will be called 8.0a1) its disabled/backed out after 6 weeks in this stage it will go on to beta stage 7.0b which is more release canadate and pretty much only fixes that are major bugs are fixed

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/upload ... -cycle.png if you look at there picture and concentrate on the blue part thats all one version it gets bumped to next branch each time
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Well I understand how to release 3 different versions but I don't see it applicable yet for ReactOS for that kind of thing to happen the OS needs to be stable.
jcalvarez

Post by jcalvarez »

Don't think so. Fast releases work when you have a solid foundation, and changes are mostly to the application layer, related to user experience. AFAIK some core ReactOS components are currently being redesigned, so it is too early for that.

Regards,

Jose
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I'm not sure this fast release cycle is even going to work for Firefox. Especially since people rely on it as an "application platform". Systems developed to work with Firefox have to be extensively tested, verified, and certified to work against a specific version, with the expectation that any updates will not break compatibility. And this includes software, documentation, and training. Even adding some new UI feature (or removing as seems to be the trend) can throw things way off. And it will be impossible for a developer to just say "use exactly x.y" version because any specific major version will now no longer be supported for any significant length of time.

Fortunately ReactOS won't have to worry about making third party developers happy until around the far off release of 1.0.

Of course anyone who really wants the latest and greatest can always download a SVN build. :D
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

In my opinion, ReactOS does not need to do newer releases more frequently.
For that purpose, trunk builds are enough.
What ReactOS really needs are developers.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I agree with the discussion here. We need more developers.

I have an idea how they are developing different versions. They probably have a map ahead of time that they are using and writing fairly independently to conform to the map. And they do break compatibility along the way, since plugins often won't work between versions. They want me to update to 4, but I am keeping 3 because I want an IE6 look and feel. Version 4 won't allow me to use the plugin I use to achieve the IE6 L&F. Nobody has improved upon the IE5/6 interface as far as I am concerned. I reluctantly accept the Chrome default interface. Chrome is quite a fine-tuned browser and very responsive. I imagine they started somewhere with some FF code and then heavily modified it. It helps once you have a foundation built. We could fine tune ours, eventually, but we need a good and stable base for now.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Uh, Chrome is a completely different codebase for the UI and uses a completely different rendering backend.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

PurpleGurl wrote:I agree with the discussion here. We need more developers.

I have an idea how they are developing different versions. They probably have a map ahead of time that they are using and writing fairly independently to conform to the map. And they do break compatibility along the way, since plugins often won't work between versions. They want me to update to 4, but I am keeping 3 because I want an IE6 look and feel. Version 4 won't allow me to use the plugin I use to achieve the IE6 L&F. Nobody has improved upon the IE5/6 interface as far as I am concerned. I reluctantly accept the Chrome default interface. Chrome is quite a fine-tuned browser and very responsive. I imagine they started somewhere with some FF code and then heavily modified it. It helps once you have a foundation built. We could fine tune ours, eventually, but we need a good and stable base for now.
*in a totally unrelated to ROS talk*
Why would anyone want to use IE interface, it was the worse. If you have a hard time getting used to chrome's interface turn on the home button from Wrench -> options -> always show home and show the bookmark bar Wrench -> tools -> always show the bookmark bar
Chrome is the fastest but FF uses wayyy less resources (Roughly 2~3 times less resources and a lot more if you open multiple tabs...I actually had chrome use over 2GB of memory once -.-)

What I do is use FF to open windows I keep open all the time like videos I am watching in a row and use chrome to keep 2~4 windows open for things I am looking at at that moment so I get both speed and lower mem usage.
*back on topic*
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

No offtopic please.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Murmur wrote:
*in a totally unrelated to ROS talk*
Why would anyone want to use IE interface, it was the worse. If you have a hard time getting used to chrome's interface turn on the home button from Wrench -> options -> always show home and show the bookmark bar Wrench -> tools -> always show the bookmark bar
Chrome is the fastest but FF uses wayyy less resources (Roughly 2~3 times less resources and a lot more if you open multiple tabs...I actually had chrome use over 2GB of memory once -.-)

What I do is use FF to open windows I keep open all the time like videos I am watching in a row and use chrome to keep 2~4 windows open for things I am looking at at that moment so I get both speed and lower mem usage.
*back on topic*
I simply mentioned Firefox plugins not working and gave the IE6 buttons plugin as an example of breaking compatibility to bolster the comments of a previous poster who said they couldn't see how Mozilla worked on multiple versions simultaneously. That is how I share and teach things to others.

I don't see what Chrome settings has to do with wanting an IE6 interface just in Firefox. Chrome is fine as it is on a virgin install My comments about Chrome were side-comments to add supporting evidence and to illustrate a point, and were not intended to be discussed. When a person accepts something, even reluctantly, it means they are settled with it and not looking for advice nor help.

I found all the settings you mentioned a long time ago when I first installed Chrome, but they are irrelevant to what I mentioned.

As for memory usage, you are right. That is why I use different browsers for different tasks. The reason Chrome uses so much is because it does more caching in memory and more preemptive work. That is partly why it seems so fast. It intelligently guesses what you are likely to do next and prefetches in into memory Memory holes could be another explanation. IE is so bad about that. (And IE's old speed advantage over Firefox was because part of IE is integrated into Windows. Several of the core IE files are required by the OS and used outside IE.) IE7/IE8 are memory hogs and split into many different threads. I assume that is for SMP support, so the processes can run as separate threads.

I do thank you for trying to help. Take care.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This is still offtopic, but your post has enough inaccuracies that I can't let it slide.

IE as people know it is two parts, the rendering engine that developers are also able to use, and the frontend interface that people in general use. As the rendering engine is used by third party developers, it should not be removed otherwise you end up screwing all of those developers that were relying on it. It also renders useless quite a few builtin tools that are bundled with Windows. These days, even if you get one of those N versions the EU forced MS to release, the rendering engine is still there. It's as much part of the interface that MS provides to developers as say DirectX or any of the other APIs.

IE7/8/9 are multi-process, as in each tab is its own separate process. That has nothing to do with SMP support. It is about insulating the user from crashes in one tab, such as if the flash player crashed, it won't take down the entire browser, like it happens so often in older versions of Firefox, and still happens despite the supposed sandboxing. And multithreading an application has very little to do with SMP support either. A multithreaded app MAY benefit from running on a SMP system, but there are enough other factors involved that you can't make a blanket statement like that. Your usage of SMP support in this instance is also a bit misleading, as you likely meant "taking advantage of multiple cores." That and SMP "support" are two different things.