ReactOS 3.13 and USB flash drivers/storage

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chilibowl

ReactOS 3.13 and USB flash drivers/storage

Post by chilibowl » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:58 pm

:oops: :?: :!: Hi ,new here with the ReactOS 3.13 thingy.

Anyone here have any luck with USB flash drives/storage with this issue??

My Mo-bo ECS p6SEPme old model (Celeron 300) 128 mbyte ram with usb built in , is recognized as having a OHCI usb port ,however No devices seem recognized <HP 8600f USB CD-writer>.

Regards , Chilibowl :)

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Re: ReactOS 3.13 and USB flash drivers/storage

Post by gabrielilardi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Topic splitted, please don't hijack threads.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:41 pm

You really think, that ROS has USB support now? :D

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:24 am

USB? Close.
USB HID? Errrm.... not so close yet ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

chilibowl

Post by chilibowl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 pm

:roll: No ,i am Not Hijacking threads ,just a rough quick post.

It amazes me that LINUX is usb supportable , but this ODD -ball React OS is not usb ,yet looks Sooo much like Windows!!

What good is it???

regards ,chilibowl

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Feel free to write missing features for a closed source OS we try to clone. ^^ not that easy
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 pm

chilibowl,
WE ARE NOT LINUX!

You know, that I really hate, when someone thinks that ROS is Linux? They are different OS'es, and all that they share with each other are few lines of code from WINE and the fact of being an open-source project...

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 am

As an outsider and not a moderator, I think the topic title threw one of the mods and that the OP really meant this:

USB flash drivers/storage under ReactOS 3.13

So it is not a split topic, but a refined one. The AND in the original seems to be intended as a boolean operator, meaning that AND means both conditions must be true. If they used OR, that would be splitting it, meaning that all of ROS 3.13 and all USB stuff may be discussed.

As for the rest, I don't think the OP was calling Reactos a type of Linux. I think they were trying to say that since it claims to be a Windows clone, it should have USB support, and that even Linux, which we are not copying, has it. So if Windows and Linux both have it, why not us? I have no coding experience under Windows and will be the first to admit that. However, wouldn't the hardware side of Linux's code be of any use to us? I mean x86 hardware is x86 hardware regardless of the architecture of the OS and that there must be some common denominator. I don't know how much there is, nor where it becomes Linux specific. I am not even sure what the developers know about this delineation either, since they are pretty much forced to work in the blind.

I am also surprised that hackers out there don't have their own .DLLs to replace some of Windows functions for their own use, but yet again, the developers probably couldn't use them without an outside audit, since most likely, they would be modified MS code and not original. So that would be another problem to worry about - keeping the code clean. If you write it yourself, then you know it is original and not an unlawful copy. I will go out on a limb and say we don't want to run into the same controversies and legal problems of the other Open Source operating systems. When it comes to court cases, you always want to be the plaintiff (if you must be involved at all) and never the defendant.