Many questions , like DirectX, USB, SATA and drivers

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

markosjal

Many questions , like DirectX, USB, SATA and drivers

Post by markosjal »

I have a lot of questions and I see in the screenshots that there is a Screenshot of XBMC. I want to know about the status of ReactOS for the purposes of XBMC. Obviously the hardware support is necessary for it to be useful.

Because the Chrome9 Drivers are a mess on linux but seem to work on XBMC for Windows, I want to create an XBMC live distro based on an alternate OS specifically for the lower cost boards with Chrome drives as they are far easier to get where I live.

I am not a programmer but an advanced computer user with lost of experience with Windows, Mac and Linux.

I tested ReactOS back in January on a Virtual Machine, but I know that there are probably daily developments.

What is the situation with DirectX compatibility or a replacement?

I understand that WIndows drivers are used in ReactOS , is this correct?

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Many questions , like DirectX, USB, SATA and drivers

Post by EmuandCo »

DirectX is in theory non existant. We use the Wine DX -> OGL Wrapper to achieve it. So you run DX apps over OGL Acceleration for now.

Yes, you use Windows drivers in theory. Theory means that many still dont work flawless, especially in the GFX drivers section.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Where are you getting your boards? Afaik acquiring a Chrome9-based graphics card (this is the VIA/S3 card we're talking about, I assume) is a real rarity. How affordable are they? If the developers are going to do bugfixes such that ReactOS plays nice with the drivers they will probably need samples so that it is easier for them to carry out testing.

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

God... thats too good. I've got 100 laptops I'm selling on Craigslist from MSI that all use the Via C7 along with this chipset. Aside from running AERO quite well on Win7 they for some reason have no support for HD. I cant get it to accelerate anything. What in the name of god device do you have this personally well documented hardware running on..? I'd be more than willing to improve the drivers for both ROS and linux.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

markosjal

Post by markosjal »

In Mexico, the cost of motherboards is higher and any speciality items such as Mini ITX boards are higher still, however the Via boards sell for less probably because they are less desirable.

Also in Mexico, HD is not as common as in the USA, so people do not go out and look for it, nor pay too much more for it.

I am curious as to why the screenshot of the startup screen os XBMC is in the image gallery if it is a misrepresentation. It would seem that only programs that work should really be there.

livestrong2109
I want to clarify that I do not have ReactOS running any of this. These were questions related to feasibility. I have had some good luck for instance on Via mm3500 (PC3500) and similar at SD resolutions on Windows. However under any other OS it is useless.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Do you have prices? Getting boards for the devs by importing from Mexico might not sound like a bad idea, as the boards are rare and those that do have it elsewhere would probably charge quite highly for it. Some of the dev team do have a view to offering ReactOS as an alternative to Windows Embedded, so I suppose support for XBMC and platforms like VIA ITX boards might allow us to attract some interest from the HTPC and embedded crowd.

Functionality in ReactOS is not progressive in nature due to the ongoing overhauls, renovations and rewrites taking place, so what you might have working in an older version of ReactOS may not necessarily work in later versions.

livestrong2109, where's your Craigslist listing?

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Yea sure, I'd be willing to either sell or donate a laptop or two to the project if you think it would help us. Just let me know.

Specs:
Via C7m 1.6mhz
Chrome 9 IGPU Chipset
Ram 1 Slot DDR - 512mb
Hard Drive - SATA 40GB
DVD - DVD/CD-rw+-
WIFI - 54mbps - Not sure on the chipset - Brodcom I'd think
Networking - Via Lan 10/100mbps
Sound - No idea most likely more Via

I'll look up more details later today...
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

randomuser

Post by randomuser »

Some of the dev team do have a view to offering ReactOS as an alternative to Windows Embedded, so I suppose support for XBMC and platforms like VIA ITX boards might allow us to attract some interest from the HTPC and embedded crowd.
I'm new to ReactOS and have in fact never tested it, so bear with me. I'm surprised to read that some developers have it in mind for use in embedded systems. Is it such a lean system? I got the impression that it was rather intended for desktop use and that it would therefore become somewhat bloated like Windows there.

I've recently ordered this barebone, which appears to feature a Chrome9-based graphics adapter, and reading here that there are issues with free drivers for this and also some headache about were to buy boards, I thought I'd throw this in. It would be great if the hardware would see support from ReactOS developers. I don't know where the developers are located but I've ordered the mentioned system in Germany for 135 EUR (including 19% VAT), so within the US it might be cheaper.

I've also seen that EITX-3001 mainboards with VIA Nano E processor integrate a Chrome9 graphics controller, but an AMOS-5001 barebone including aforementioned mainboard was significantly more expensive (422 EUR including 19% VAT) than the above mentioned system. Should any of the developers be interested in obtaining a system with Nano E processor though, I'd be interested to read about that, because VIA explicitly mentions on its website that this processor comes with VIA VT virtualization technology. Wikipedia says that earlier VIA Nano processors starting with stepping 3 also came with VT support but from what I've read in forum posts somewhere, these implementations were broken (VIA indeed only appears to mention this feature for their Nano 3000 and Nano E series on their website). I'd like to read if that works with the newer processors.

Recently, I've also read that Zotac has shown a new mini computer for their ZBOX series with a Nano X2 (a dual-core Nano 3000). I'd guess that this one will most likely also have a Chrome9 graphics adapter integrated. But as the system itself has not yet even been announced, that is speculative, and it is questionable that it will be generally available anytime soon.