COM+

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

whitelantern

COM+

Post by whitelantern »

Hi all out there!

I haven't install ReactOS but I'm very interested. I have been looking at Linux but I have already made programs for XP that works well
so one is to continue with xp or svap over to Linux and retyping everything agean or maybe ReactOS is the alternative that I´m waiting for.

But I have some questions.
1) does COM+ work in ReactOS if it does is it some limits.

2) if I need to talk to a port do I have to build a special driver for that in win98 and earlier version there whas direct assecc to hardwere
ho do I handle this in ReactOS.
3) can ordinary dll's been used.

4) Can Reactos be compiled for different processors in the same way as Linux.
Or what is the limit here.

I'm on my way doing a heating control system for my house and I try to decide with OP and hardware to use.

I hope someone will take time to answer..
elhoir
Test Team

Re: COM+

Post by elhoir »

whitelantern wrote: 1) does COM+ work in ReactOS if it does is it some limits.
Its a WIP. ReactOS does not currently support it, but it will pretty soon
whitelantern wrote: 2) if I need to talk to a port do I have to build a special driver for that in win98 and earlier version there whas direct assecc to hardwere
ho do I handle this in ReactOS.
3) can ordinary dll's been used.
ReactOS aims to clone WinXP behavior, so you should be able to do with ReactOS the same things you would do in Windows, in the same way.
whitelantern wrote: 4) Can Reactos be compiled for different processors in the same way as Linux.
Or what is the limit here.
It can. Take a look at the .rbuild files in the root of the ReactOS source code tree for more details.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

With the caveat that we do not support running on anything besides in 32bit on mode x86/x64 processors because we do not have the lower level infrastructure in place to deal with other architectures. ARM is getting very close though.
whitelantern

Post by whitelantern »

Sounds real nice. I need Com+ and MS gone putt it 6feat under... I think com+ is a real good thing.

If I will made drivers in XP then I have to do it in MS developing stuff. Ho is this gone work in ReactOS is it same principe here a clone of XP or will it be a "open" whay to do it.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What do you mean by open.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

whitelantern wrote:Sounds real nice. I need Com+ and MS gone putt it 6feat under... I think com+ is a real good thing.

If I will made drivers in XP then I have to do it in MS developing stuff. Ho is this gone work in ReactOS is it same principe here a clone of XP or will it be a "open" whay to do it.
Reactos basically seeks to act like XP in terms of compatibility and being able to use native XP/Vista/Win7 drivers. It is not a "clone" per se, since there are many things we can do differently and still maintain compatibility where it is important, and it is all open source. The idea is to get whatever that works in Windows to work here. It can be done using MS development tools, but you don't have to use them. If you already have drivers ready for XP, they will work under Reactos once we get everything implemented. We have to have the infrastructure in the kernel and API calls ready so they work.

If someone wants to design services that are missing in ROS, or Windows for that matter, they can. They can set up the installer to make the changes in the registry to tie it in as a system service.
whitelantern

Post by whitelantern »

"open" well I preferd working with Delphi (pascal) and if it open then it is described so parhaps I can made simple drivers even in delphi, you can made assemler call in there so you can made fast running code there.
So it is god if drivers can be dun without the MS developing stuff.

So now I´m waiting for ReactOS+com = true...:-) I wish I had time to help... since it is importent work u ar doing.