Thinstuff Summer of Code 2011

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

Thinstuff Summer of Code 2011

Post by Jedi-to-be »

http://www.freerdp.com/index.php/compon ... -code-2011

reeRDP wasn't accepted for Google Summer of Code 2011, even though we really wanted to do it. Thinstuff, one of the FreeRDP sponsors, decided that it would be great to organize a similar event: Thinstuff Summer of Code 2011.

Unlike GSoC, TSoC is open to everyone, not just students. We have a lot of features that need to be implemented, and money ready to be put on them. This event aims at connecting companies interested in sponsoring FreeRDP development with students or consultants interested in getting paid to work on FreeRDP. Even though this event is officially organized by Thinstuff, other companies are welcome to become sponsors as well.

For more information about the tasks that are waiting to be sponsored, see our Thinstuff Summer of Code 2011 wiki page.

Companies interested in sponsoring FreeRDP development can add their own tasks there along with contact information.

We wish everyone good luck, and hope that you will enjoy Thinstuff Summer of Code 2011 :)
PurpleGurl

Re: Thinstuff Summer of Code 2011

Post by PurpleGurl »

This sounds interesting. It would be nice if they could help us. We have about 13 ideas GSOC is not helping us with, and there are other areas that could use help like stability, file systems, etc. The FreeRDP idea of GDI acceleration might be of some value to us.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I am not sure why do you think they'd be helping us? TSoC is oriented only on FreeRDP, and this is a linux app. GDI acceleration, you mentioned, is just a receiver side of data flowing via RDP from remote host. They currently have software drawing lib for that, which needs to be rewritten, so OpenGL is used instead (for performance/hardware support). Nothing here for ROS.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thank you for straightening me out here. I am fairly new to this side of things. I am not a Linux user, and those don't know all the names of all the versions out there. At any rate, it is good to see that others are using Google's concept and supporting Open Source.

Still, we should get the word out about Reactos. I am glad to see serious work is being done on the USB issues. The commits in the trunk might be just enough to stop the lockups on boot on real hardware, and the ones in the branch appear to add additional capabilities. I am just glad these things are finally getting addressed. Being able to run on more hardware and without CMOS editing, and being able to use more types of boot devices certainly helps a lot. Everything is so USB oriented these days that it is hard to use an OS without it. Digital recorders, cameras, mice, keyboards, networks, and a number of other things use USB these days. Even worse with that is that eventually, PS2 style ports will be phased out. Even now, I find motherboards with a single PS2 socket, and whichever device you don't plug in there would have to be USB. So with the USB code rewrites and additions, and GSOC, I just can't wait to try the next ROS version.