Colinux and Reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nicamarvin2005

Colinux and Reactos

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

I would love to see Colinux properly working with Reactos one day... :cry:

this is from the CoLinux webpage
coLinux is being ported to run under ReactOS, a standalone Open Source Windows implementation

Murmur

Re: Colinux and Reactos

Post by Murmur »

http://www.colinux.org/?section=roadmap
"ReactOS. This port will allow ReactOS users to fully enjoy Linux while running ReactOS"

first time hearing about coLinux so ill post a bit of info.

"Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software. In its current condition, it allows us to run the KNOPPIX Japanese Edition on Windows"

Would be a nice thing to see in the future and ofc not anywhere near high priority but if it works on NT systems it will eventually work on reactos without any issues.

PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

Why is there a need to make a port specifically for ROS when the Windows version is expected to work smoothly on ReactOS? :|

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

Why is there a need to make a port specifically for ROS when the Windows version is expected to work smoothly on ReactOS? :|
there is no need to have a Reactos port as Reactos aims to be 100% compatibility....but not just yet so maybe a hack? untill reactos get there?

greenie

Post by greenie »

Maybe they want to do the reverse of luk.

so it will be the reactos unified kernel

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

nicamarvin2005 I welcome your questions but your clearly just tossing out senseless statements. CoLinux for windows will run fine on reactos. Why doen't you test it yourself and file a bug report if it fails to run.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

nicamarvin2005 your clearly just tossing out senseless statements.
:o this was not my intention sir..
CoLinux for windows will run fine on reactos.
I have tested stand alone colinux distros like Portable Ubuntu and AndLinux but those are big linux distros using KDE and Gnome, and I think that´s were the issues may be... :cry:

greenie

Post by greenie »

nicamarvin2005 wrote: I have tested stand alone colinux distros like Portable Ubuntu and AndLinux but those are big linux distros using KDE and Gnome, and I think that´s were the issues may be... :cry:
You need all that stuff. Because otherwise it's just a linux kernel which will do nothing.

I am interested on what they mean. the colinux people don't seem like the type of people that would make a strange statement like that. There must be some misinterpretation.

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

You need all that stuff. Because otherwise it's just a linux kernel which will do nothing.
I wished they Made something like Puppy linux/Colinux dristro...and I can't do it, I am just a tester and not even a good one at it... :cry: