ReactOS and fragmentation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Re: ReactOS and fragmentation

Post by SomeGuy »

Back on topic, I haven't checked to be sure but you can probably already place the ReactOS Swap file in a partition of its own (right now you have to use multiple primary partitions to partition a drive). Of course it is still inside a FAT partition; file system-less swap partitions are a holdover from the days when file systems had a a huge overhead, defragmenters were non existent, and computers didn't have multiple gigabytes of RAM.

Even Microsoft licensed third party defragmenting applications for use in Windows (Symantec for Windows 9x and DiskKeeper for 2000) instead of writing their own from scratch. So that is a way down the road for ReactOS yet.
zed260

Post by zed260 »

microsoft still uses diskeeper defrag in windows 7
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Personally, the best managed file system for me is Apple's HFS+ with Journaling.

Mind you, exFat in Windows 7 provides the same kind of features that NTFS does, but with a compatible FAT.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Uuuuh, nope. It does not. At least not fully
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

patternjake wrote:Personally, the best managed file system for me is Apple's HFS+ with Journaling.

Mind you, exFat in Windows 7 provides the same kind of features that NTFS does, but with a compatible FAT.
The first statement is expressed as an opinion so I'll leave it be. The second however is incredibly inaccurate, considering the almost complete lack of the metadata functionality that is part of NTFS.