Fix of the Week

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Re: Fix of the Week

Post by manuel »

gonzoMD wrote:ion committed changeset 59985 to the Core ReactOS project
This commit, in my opinion, marks an important milestone in ReactOS development. One is now able to boot to desktop, launch applications, download through the application manager, play solitaire, minesweeper, launch Task Manager, etc... by using an unmodified Windows 2003 kernel32.dll binary (and, until our NPFS driver is fixed, the unmodified Windows 2003 NPFS driver). Additionally, one is able to achieve the same by booting with an unmodified Windows 2003 ntdll.dll, including a combination of both. The capability to mix-and-match components such as kernel32 and ntdll, at the heart of the system, will allow to better understand apitest failures (just as Wine has long had the capability to use Windows DLLs instead). With these two building blocks, additional Windows 2003 DLLs can be dropped in/tested, etc, and where failures are seen, a likely component can now be blamed. Furthermore, debugging with public symbols for these DLLs is now possible with WinDBG (in fact, this is how many bugs were fixed in this attempt). Many issues already exist when running with this combination FYI, for example, I was not able to launch any installers (tested Firefox and MIRC). This already demonstrates either missing functionality or ReactOS-specific functionality in components which depend on kernel32. I suspect the next step is infrastructure work to get special patchbot/builders to try and report back winetest results, and for additional DLLs to be "ported"/made to work. On a final note, this mixing and matching has benefits on both ends -- it's now likely that ReactOS' ntdll can run on Server 2003, at least far enough to get to Explorer or Task Manager. Running apitests on Server 2003 with and without reactos DLLs should also easily identify if certain DLLs are directly to blame for certain regressions/failures. </end excited rant> [BASESRV]: Allocate the INI mappings from the right heap.
Well, Who has also the opinion that we can call this baby Fix of the year?

Thank you Alex!!!! Hack on!
Hi!, great news, but, when you are referring to a component unmodified (kernel32.dll) guess is to temporary use in reactos, truth?, greetings.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

manuel wrote:
gonzoMD wrote:ion committed changeset 59985 to the Core ReactOS project
This commit, in my opinion, marks an important milestone in ReactOS development. One is now able to boot to desktop, launch applications, download through the application manager, play solitaire, minesweeper, launch Task Manager, etc... by using an unmodified Windows 2003 kernel32.dll binary (and, until our NPFS driver is fixed, the unmodified Windows 2003 NPFS driver). Additionally, one is able to achieve the same by booting with an unmodified Windows 2003 ntdll.dll, including a combination of both. The capability to mix-and-match components such as kernel32 and ntdll, at the heart of the system, will allow to better understand apitest failures (just as Wine has long had the capability to use Windows DLLs instead). With these two building blocks, additional Windows 2003 DLLs can be dropped in/tested, etc, and where failures are seen, a likely component can now be blamed. Furthermore, debugging with public symbols for these DLLs is now possible with WinDBG (in fact, this is how many bugs were fixed in this attempt). Many issues already exist when running with this combination FYI, for example, I was not able to launch any installers (tested Firefox and MIRC). This already demonstrates either missing functionality or ReactOS-specific functionality in components which depend on kernel32. I suspect the next step is infrastructure work to get special patchbot/builders to try and report back winetest results, and for additional DLLs to be "ported"/made to work. On a final note, this mixing and matching has benefits on both ends -- it's now likely that ReactOS' ntdll can run on Server 2003, at least far enough to get to Explorer or Task Manager. Running apitests on Server 2003 with and without reactos DLLs should also easily identify if certain DLLs are directly to blame for certain regressions/failures. </end excited rant> [BASESRV]: Allocate the INI mappings from the right heap.
Well, Who has also the opinion that we can call this baby Fix of the year?

Thank you Alex!!!! Hack on!
Hi!, great news, but, when you are referring to a component unmodified (kernel32.dll) guess is to temporary use in reactos, truth?, greetings.
It is not used in reactos at all.
It is just possible to change the ReactOS kernel32.dll with the Windows one.
This way it is possible to see where are bugs and where not.
If changing a component to the windows one causes a bug to dissapear, then the bug is definitive inside this ReactOS component.
manuel

Post by manuel »

thanks gonzoMD for the information :ugeek:
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

gonzoMD wrote: It is not used in reactos at all.
It is just possible to change the ReactOS kernel32.dll with the Windows one.
This way it is possible to see where are bugs and where not.
If changing a component to the windows one causes a bug to dissapear, then the bug is definitive inside this ReactOS component.
Exactly, we don't bundle any DLL which is not opensourced and legit. Redistributing or adding a DLL mady by Microsoft to ReactOS isos is totally illegal.
There are packets called Redistributables, and we even don't add them into our isos to avoid potential legal issues(even if they are called "Redistributables"). In such cases, we just link them in ReactOS Application Manager and the user is the one who decides to download them(directly from Microsoft ftp),install them or not.
I know this is clear but I don't want someone misreading and begin saying "Ey ReactOS includes a kernel32.dll from Microsoft". You know.

As internal testings, i am curious to know how Tests works in a pure ReactOS iso vs ReactOS with MS Kernel32.dll. If there aren't too many differences, then..it would mean that both binaries are almost compatible. Winetests and Rostests failing in usermode dlls could be related to bugs in underneath components (as the kernel).

I am willing to create the FROSkenstein(ReactOS+MS Kernel32) and run the autotests ;)
But right now...i am trying to help a little in the explorer push ;)
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

which version of DLL's to use - windows server 2003 (no SP) ?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Also, what about XP (32-bit) versions of the files swapped in that build? How likely would they work?
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

PurpleGurl wrote:Also, what about XP (32-bit) versions of the files swapped in that build? How likely would they work?
I have no idea of how would they work (I'm aware of the interest on using DLLs from an OS you own a license to improve stability/support, just pointing out another thing), but the main interest on this is to be able to deterministically know if some bugs are coming from ReactOS code base, and for this the sane choice is to use the version ReactOS is currently targetting.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

cruonit wrote:which version of DLL's to use - windows server 2003 (no SP) ?
SP1 preferably, but let us know whether the kernel32 form SP2 also works :)
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

In response to the ion patch: heavens sing!
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Can someone makes an example ?

e.g. xyz works on ROS with Win2003 dlll stable, but not in ROS "naturally".

or post two links on automatically test 1) with windows dll 2) without

that community can a little bit follow that great fix from ION....
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

SP2 one works fine.
Some Installers like FireFox and VLC dont work because they fail to create the temp folder entries.
Aaaand, 2nd stage setup fails to install the gecko engine, because it wants to use the "GetTickCount64" function in kernel32, which is not existent.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

EmuandCo wrote:SP2 one works fine.
Some Installers like FireFox and VLC dont work because they fail to create the temp folder entries.
Aaaand, 2nd stage setup fails to install the gecko engine, because it wants to use the "GetTickCount64" function in kernel32, which is not existent.
That's weird, concerning GetTickCount64, because of this: http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git&a ... ickCount64, ie. it exists in our kernel32 and it is exported.

But it's of course the fault of Wine, because it uses Vista+ apis.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

hbelusca wrote:
That's weird, concerning GetTickCount64, because of this: http://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git&a ... ickCount64, ie. it exists in our kernel32 and it is exported.

Yes, but if I understand this correctly dreimer used Win2k3 SP2 Kernel32. Is the Funtion there available and exported?
Maribo63_4

Post by Maribo63_4 »

gonzoMD wrote:
hbelusca wrote:

Yes, but if I understand this correctly dreimer used Win2k3 SP2 Kernel32. Is the Funtion there available and exported?
Yes, you're right: dreimer used the Windows 2003 SP2 Kernel, and no: this function doesn't exist there. ;)
You would need a 64bit Version of Win2003SP2, i think.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Maribo63_4 wrote:Yes, you're right: dreimer used the Windows 2003 SP2 Kernel, and no: this function doesn't exist there. ;)
You would need a 64bit Version of Win2003SP2, i think.
But if you download a 32 bit installation of FF, why the hell does it expect a 64 bit Function exported?