Fix of the Week

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzoMD

Re: Fix of the Week

Post by gonzoMD »

milon wrote: Hybrid live/install is on the way!!
I fear that I have to tell you that isohybrid is “only“ a subproject of syslinux which helps us to boot from USB. See http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Isohybrid

But I second this nomination. Make USB-boot great again.
milon

Post by milon »

Well, it's still Epic :P
But thanks for the clarification.
middings

Post by middings »

Alex Ionescu (ion) announced "Fully working x86 paging support!" in the Log Message of revision 74519.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Does that mean we have stable virtual memory system?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Does that mean we have stable virtual memory system?
Not. It's fr EFI bootloader.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

ctasan wrote:Not. It's fr EFI bootloader.
I first got prematurely excited too, thinking that would solve a lot of memory problems, but that has nothing to do with ARM3 nor the remnants of its predecessor. To stay on topic, I will nominate the recent memory leak fixes. Those are always important in terms of RAM usage and stability. Also important and nomination worthy are the partition table setup and detection fixes. Notable and necessary are the printing support additions. While that has a ways to go, it certain puts it closer to where it needs to be.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Bootlib is a typical example of EFI stuff being a whole OS itself. So right now it does not help in any way, but soon it will when we manage to boot on EFI
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

Usetup fixes and enhancements have my vote
Thank you so much, Hermes :)
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

elhoir wrote:Usetup fixes and enhancements have my vote
Link please.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
elhoir wrote:Usetup fixes and enhancements have my vote
Link please.
Maybe this and a few earlier entries: https://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?vie ... sion=74742
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Thanks! Check the branch for consulting the work in progress regarding the usetup: https://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/bra ... /?view=log
I recall here, the aims are: to make a 1st-stage GUI installer (as an alternative to the text-mode one "usetup") easier to create, since it'll be able to share already existing code with usetup: the common code is put in a library; to properly & in a robust way fix diverse bugs related to usetup / installation of ReactOS in a multiboot environment; and make somewhat our installation less "hackish".
middings

Post by middings »

For the week of May 28 through June 3, I nominate revision 74729 by tfaber as Fix of the Week.

This fix resolved CORE-13348, Update ACPICA to version 20170531, and CORE-12899, Assert (FALSE) in ACPI buspdo.c on second stage on Dell Latitude D810. Bug CORE-12899 also prevented installation of ReactOS on my test rig. I expect that this fix will also resolve the problems reported in Support forum topics "Swenum.sys on bare metal" and "ROS doesn't complete first Boot on Toshiba Tecra M-10".
middings

Post by middings »

For the week of June 25 through July 1, I nominate revision 75195 by pschweitzer as Fix of the Week.

With revision 75195 pschweitzer attacked four file system JIRA issues, closing two of them and making good progress on the other two. The issues relate to RXCE (Redirector file system Connection Engine), support for NFS (Network File System), a feature necessary for interoperability with Unix-like computers in a network, and the RDBSS (Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem).

For the week of July 2 through July 8, I nominate jimtabor's resolution of CORE-12888, "Set the boundary box on the EMF driver functions", as Fix of the Week.

If I understand correctly, Enhanced Metafile (EMF) formatted data is used by the graphical user interface (GUI) and for preparing documents to be output to graphical printing devices. Six commits, including a sync of some of Wine's EMF code ("difficult to port ... and keep the whole file unchanged for syncing" wrote jimtabor) were required to make this fix.

For honorable mention, I nominate cfinck and hbelusca. Cfinck deserves recognition for his ongoing efforts to build a printing stack for ReactOS and, in particular, revision 75207. "This fixes many basic things.. which only got unnoticed, because Printing is only used in the form of API Tests so far", wrote cfinck in the Log Message. This resolves CORE-13458 and makes progress toward resolving the related issue CORE-13459. Hbelusca deserves recognition for revision 75222. In the Log Message, hbelusca wrote, "Now we can export registry sub-trees as registry hives, and successfully re-mount them in the registry. CORE-13476 CORE-8259 CORE-10793"

Also worthy of mention is all the work being done in the branches of the GSOC participants and in the setup_improvements branch.
middings

Post by middings »

For the week of August 27 through September 2, I nominate the patch by Fabian Maurer that resolved CORE-3998 as Fix of the Week. (The patch was adapted and applied by jimtabor.)

This fix resolved the eight-year old bug , "user32: Stuff drawn in WM_CREATE gets painted over". Colin Finck reported the bug and supplied a sample program that reduced the bug.

For the week of September 17 through September 23, I nominate revision 75911 by Pierre Schweitzer as Fix of the Week. This revision fixed CORE-13805, "Secondary FAT volumes get exclusively locked on boot". Pierre fixed many portions of ReactOS's file system support recently. This fix resolved an interesting bug.
middings

Post by middings »

For the week of May 6 through 12, I nominate commit 9a32a80 by Heis Spiter and the testing by reactosfanboy that resolved CORE-8736, "Reactos is running out of memory when writing files > RAM-size", as Fix of the Week. Other developers and testers also contributed to resolution of this memory management issue.

This fix resolved the over three and a half year old bug first reported by mifritscher.