Preloaded?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Twarrior

Preloaded?

Post by Twarrior »

Hello all,

I think preloaded software is cool as long as it's not bloated and worthless crap, as i'm sure most would agree. Windows, Linux and just about if not all OS's have preloaded software of some type.

I have a suggestion list for software to preload. All of it is free, some of it is open source. Either way, with this list i'm not only going for quality I'm going for originality as well. Powerful, compact and at the sime time really phucking cool!

BEGIN LIST:

Program: Media Player Classic
Description: Replacement for Winblowz Media Player, with plugins supports Quicktime Files, Real Audio Files and most if not all of the proprietary formats lacking the ussual cripples and "why not go pro?!" bull$hit.
URL: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Med ... lassic.htm
Tested With ReactOS: unknown

Program: Skale Tracker
Description: FastTrackerII Clone that is alot more powerful and advanced than most Trackers and most music composition tools, for that mater.
URL: http://www.skale.org

Program: Modplug Tracker / Player / Plugin
Description: Similar to Skale only open source and a full Windows GUI as opposed to a more old school "full screen" GUI type deal. Tracker, Player and even a web plugin to have small file size and compact high quality songs on your wesbite without having to deal with the annoyances of midi files.
URL: http://www.modplug.com

Program: Open Office
Description: I don't think this needs one and why it's in the list is obvious. To complete with Microshaft Office.
URL: http://www.openoffice.org
Tested With ReactOS: Yes!

Program: GiMP (Gnu Impage Manipulation Project)
Description: As powerful or dare I say even more powerful than Adobe Photoshop. Beats the $hit out of Adobe much less Wincrap Paintbrush. lol
URL: http://www.gimp.org/

Program: Winamp
Description: Ok, I think we ALL know what this is. However, despite Skale, Modplug and Media Player Classic, I think it's good to give people a choice.
URL: http://www.winamp.com

Program: Virtual Dub
Description: A somewhat limited yet VERY POWERFUL Movie Editor. Sure beats the hell out of Winblowz Movie Mangler. Open Source. Supports any and every Codec that can be installed to the OS.
URL: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net

Program: MiniTelnet
Description: Telnet client with lots of features including a host listing and sure beats the piss out of default Wincrap Telnet.
URL: http://ozone.eesc.com

Program: Putty
Description: IMHO, putty sucks for telnet but is pretty good with SSH. Would be nice for a Windows-App Supported OS like ReactOS to have a "default SSH client" for a change.
URL: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

Program: ReactOS IRC Client
Description: Doesn't exist yet (that I know of) but I'd be up for helping to make it. I'm not the best but not horrible with MiRC Scripting. BBS Scene, Awareness of websites, alternative programs, etc... ReactOS servers and channels pre-loaded and all sorts of other nice "get a clue" and "stop using Wincrap" type of links / features / utils on board.

Program(s): TheDraw, ACiDdraw, PabloDraw, ElyEdit and SyncDraw.
Description: Most of you may be under the impression that the BBS Scene is dead but sorry to burst your bubble, it's not. Pre-loaded ANSi Editors in an OS would simply be the phux0ring shiznitz!

Program: Synchronet Server
Description: Server that supports Telnet BBS, NNTP, IRC, FTN, QWK, POP3, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, and the list goes on and on and on. VERY powerful, well supported by author and third party.
URL: http://www.synchro.net
Tested with ReactOS: Unknown

I'm sure theres other programs i can think of but for now thats it. I'll just list off the other common sense stuff. Preloaded Mozilla, Netscape, etc... (give people a choice), all the audio / video / dvd codec stuff you can find and of course all of the similar things to that which I think needs not be explained.

Dave
Twarrior

Re: Preloaded?

Post by Twarrior »

Oh and theres a few people I know who might kill me if i neglect to mention this :-)

For a Bloatpad replacement -- Crimson Editor is REALLY nice!

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/english/download.html

Dave
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

There have been a lot of threads like this before, it must happen every month at least. Don't expect to see closed source applications in any main "distro."

Also have a look here:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/R ... plications

As for a media player, they need to have the direct show supported, so expect a custom light weight media player.
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Phalanx wrote:There have been a lot of threads like this before, it must happen every month at least. Don't expect to see closed source applications in any main "distro."

Also have a look here:

As for a media player, they need to have the direct show supported, so expect a custom light weight media player.
I hate to tell you, but alot of those on the list not only are closed source but even *shareware*.

Alot of them were also open source. I do not think my list in any way differs from the one you gave me.

Only that most of the applications I listed aren't on it... which seeing as it seems to be a wiki, me thinks i'll change that :-)
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Upon looking at the wiki you posted here and adding my entires into it, I noticed an Ext2 for Windows Utiliy that looks QUITE nice. I also noticed it was not open source. *IF* the author could be convinced to open source it, it would allow ReactOS a native File System beyond Fat32 that it could directly support and go past the limitations of FAT32. It might also allow Linux Programs to cooperate within ReactOS.

Heres how I can see DOS / Linux / Win / X able to co-exist in ReactOS...

- ReacDOS Shell
- ReactOS Linux Console
- React Explorer
- ReactX Browser

Dave
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

we got ext2 drv for reactos but it is not in use yet for we need wait until the new cache manger is in place.
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

GreatLord wrote:we got ext2 drv for reactos but it is not in use yet for we need wait until the new cache manger is in place.
Awesome! You guys have come a long way in a short time. I'd love to help but I'm not a programmer. All I can offer is ideas, suggestions and my stockpile of drivers, apps and other misc things (some open source, most not) from 1994-PRESENT.

DOS, Win, Linux, OS2, anything... I'm a packrat when it comes to files. lol

With the Legacy Doom Engine (open source) I have a WAD File that someone made years back that absolutely rocks. It's like a full blown Doom Game only it's called "Doom III: Mr Smiley Heads Sufari". Of course this was before "Doom 3" by iD Software actually existed. Pretty sweet WAD and of course being home brew, not violating any (C). With that open source engine and that WAD that i'm more than happy to provide -- you could have a Doom Game that isn't violating any sort of copyright.

I know you guys are all gung-ho on open source and I don't blame you one bit, however -- if there is a legacy app, or even a new app thats powerful, useful, fun and otherwise worth having included -- i'd encourage you not to shun it just because its closed source and / or the author dissapeared into a hole someplace never to be seen again.

As long as a software isn't crippled so badly that it needs a wheel chair, it's worth concidering.

I've always dreamed of a fast, efficient and stable OS that could run anything under the sun and it looks like ReactOS is becoming that. DOS, Win-everything, Linux seeming more and more a possibility as the days go by, Amiga being very possible with the link you gave me, and Commodore and other platforms most likely not being unrealistic goals.

An OS that is *truly* compadible with everything and is open sourced to boot.

Aside from crushing Bill Gates if this thing ever takes off like a rocket, an OS like this is a dream worth trying to make reality.

But as I said, let me know. I'm a packrat. For all either of us knows, I might have something laying around that could be useful.

Dave
Ratteler

Post by Ratteler »

Here's my list of what I would like to see in a Preload.

Some of it is not Open Source, but it is all freeware and could serve as a model for what we need to recreate.
My main criteria for choosing software is that is be available for multiple platforms. Windows, Linux and MacOS possibly.

Reasons for this are to support a larger, more innovative code base and to make the OS less of a concern than the applications that run on it.

3D Tools

Blender
A mature 3D graphic package with a strong support community.

Art Of Illusion.
A nice Open Source 3D modeler made in Java. (The catch is that it would require Java Support.)

Audio Tools
Zinf
An Open Source music player like WinAmp.

Audacity
An amazingly powerful Open Source Audio recording, playback, and multi-track editor.

Coolplayer
Another music / Audio player that is Open Source.

Jazz++
Open Source Midi Sequencer (haven't tested this one yet.)

Psycle
Open Source Tracking software with VST2 Capabilities. (haven't tested this one yet.)

CD/DVD Tools

CD-DA X-Tractor
Win32 only Open Source CD Ripper. (haven't tested this one yet.)

Cdex_151
Another CD Ripper. Open Source Windows only.

Shrinkto5
GPL DVD Ripper.

Graphic Tools

GIMP
I consider this more of a Paint Shop Pro Killer than Photoshop. Still and Open Source OS should ship with a build of this. Unless you're a graphic artist by trade it's all the Paint program you'll ever need.

INKSCAPE
What Gimp is to Photoshop, Inkscape is to Illustrator and Corel Draw.

Ghostscript
More than just an implementation of Postscript in Open Source, this is a care component for Open Source reading and creation of PDF files.

IRFANVIEW
This one makes me sad. It's a great image viewerm, but it's neither open source nor cross platform. It is however freeware with a very nice interface.

IMGV
Open source Image viewer. Weird interface.

Dia
An Open Source CAD style drawing program.

Internet

Firefox & Thunderbird
If any one even suggest these shouldn't be the default tools I'm gunna slap them silly. ;)

GAIM
Cross network (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabbra), Cross platform, and Open Source Instant Messaging Client If only all our alternatives were this good. The only downside is that you're still using the networks of greedy bastards like AOL and MSN. Hopefully with GoogleTalk, Jabbra will become more popular and we can finally get away from the evil propriety, privacy infringing messaging networks. GAIM also support SILC which is an open source protocol for IM. But no one seems to use it.

Filezilla
Stand alone Open Source FTP Client. Windows only. Couldn't find Cross platform Alternative.

Amaya
Open Source project to compete with Dreamweaver for Web Site creation. W3C authorized.

NVU
Open Source Web site creation. Seems to be a little better than Amaya, and closer to Dreamweaver in function.

Izarc
Again crippled by the fact that it is not Open Source or Cross platform. But currently it is the best Windows freeware solution for Zip/Rar/ and other Archive needs.

I know I know!!! It's not Open Source by a long shot. But it is truely cross platform and better than all the alternatives. It's encryption of your content makes it a huge leap over GAIM and any other network.

www.OpenOffice.org
No brainer. The best Office package on Earth and the model that all open source projects should be based on.
It's already costing MS Nations and States.
While I'm sure there are other office tools out there, why bother when you can get 90% of the functionality of MS Office all in one spot for free.

Security Tools
Because of the fact we are emulating Windows with React OS, we probably need security tools like anti virus and firewall.

Sadly, none of these are Open Source, and most are not cross platform simply because they aren't needed on other platforms.

AVG AntiVirus
The defacto standard in Freely available Virus protection.
Direct link to Free edition.
Sadly AVG is hiding their free edition in order to get people to sign up for their paid versions. It's still available though and beat the hell out of Norton or McAfee's extortion ware.

Adaware
Spyware and Malware identification and removal tools. Free edition available.

SpyBot Search & Destroy Certainly the superior in the morals dept, Spybot will usually catch what Adaware misses. It wouldn't hurt to throw a few bucks at them if only for keeping to the "keep it free" ethic.

PeerGuradian2
The Government and certain Rich monopolies seem to think that because you DARED hook your privately owned personal computer up to a network, they have the right to march into your house through that data line and violate your privacy, without due process, a search warrant, or as is being revealed in several pending court cases, evidence!!!

This is where PG2 comes in. It locks out the IP addresses of groups known to violate your privacy and it keeps updated with new IP addresses of the "bad guys". It sad that we need such a tool, but at least you have the option to slam the door in the faces of those who think they own you because wanted to communicate with your peers.

Video Tools

VideoLAN
Probably the best video player available, and it's Open Source as well as cross platform. If VLC won't play it... it probably can't play.

Jahshaka
What could be the Open Source answer to After Effects as well as a slick as hell video editor. Cross platform as well.

ZS4
A very nice video editing package with a more traditional interface. Not Open Source, but cross platform.

What we need to locate or aid in the creation of, are Open Source replacements for things like Nero. CD/DVD Burning and creation tools. If you know of anything please post it here and/or email me.

Another disturbing trend here is that many of these tools are Windows only. While not as important to this project in general, I think if we're really going to put an end to the tyranny of Microsoft we have to support application that run on multiple OS's. Look at MS's new DRM video crap built so deep into Vista's Api. We need to replace the whole API anyway and while we do that, we can support a truly better standard for any platform.
Bobus

Post by Bobus »

Well, people, to my mind you are talking about quite useless things. I think the basic program set should concentrate on SPEED and USABILITY. Thats why adding WinAmp (10secs to open) and IrfanView (very limited) is a total bullshit. I'd agree to use MP Classic and Brennig's instead.
Otherwise, there should definitely be MSIE included, probably with Maxthon/MyIE2 (Firefox has no chance against Maxthon).
K-Lite Codec Pack would be a good idea.
Than, different programs to control periferies, like mKey.
Has anyone tested Aston under ROS?
GvG

Post by GvG »

Bobus wrote:Otherwise, there should definitely be MSIE included
You're kidding, right? I don't think there's going to be much chance that Microsoft will allow us to redistribute Internet Explorer with ReactOS (even if we would want that, which I doubt...)
Bobus

Post by Bobus »

IE is free to use, so I don't think they will care once we ask (of course as long as they do not consider ROS as a competitor :roll: ).
Otherwise I will have to work with NN or something different what can simulate IE core.
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Ratteler wrote:Here's my list of what I would like to see in a Preload.

Some of it is not Open Source, but it is all freeware and could serve as a model for what we need to recreate.
My main criteria for choosing software is that is be available for multiple platforms. Windows, Linux and MacOS possibly.

Reasons for this are to support a larger, more innovative code base and to make the OS less of a concern than the applications that run on it.
I agree with you however you might want to add all this to the wiki like I did with my suggestions :-)

Dave
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Bobus wrote:Well, people, to my mind you are talking about quite useless things. I think the basic program set should concentrate on SPEED and USABILITY. Thats why adding WinAmp (10secs to open) and IrfanView (very limited) is a total bullshit. I'd agree to use MP Classic and Brennig's instead.
Otherwise, there should definitely be MSIE included, probably with Maxthon/MyIE2 (Firefox has no chance against Maxthon).
K-Lite Codec Pack would be a good idea.
Than, different programs to control periferies, like mKey.
Has anyone tested Aston under ROS?
One thing that always has me irritated about development projects is developers place personal bias over choice, flexibility and options. Your opinions may not be the opinions of others. Allow people a choice.

Seeing as this project is for a Windows equivelent that doesn't suck to show Mr. Gates how things SHOULD be done, why not take a page out of his own book?

Allow the open-source stuff to be checkboxed by default durring the install and people can manually go in and allow the "other" applications to be installed of their own choosing.

Have people forgot about these install options:

TYPICAL
COMPACT
CUSTOM

:-)

Dave
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

GvG wrote:
Bobus wrote:Otherwise, there should definitely be MSIE included
You're kidding, right? I don't think there's going to be much chance that Microsoft will allow us to redistribute Internet Explorer with ReactOS (even if we would want that, which I doubt...)
Unless I am misunderstanding him, Maxthon/MyIE2 is an alternative to MSIE just as ReactOS is an alternative to Windows :-)

I think his point is that for people who prefer MSIE the alternative would gear them more towards ReactOS if what they are used to using is in place.

However, I still think that Netscape and Firefox should also be preloaded. Again, choice.

I don't care if ReactOS ends up as a bootable DVD because of having so much pre-loaded. As long as what is preloaded is useful as opposed to bloated crap.

People might choose Winamp over MPlayer because it has direct Shoutcast Accessability. Granted, this could easily be included in Mplayer but like all projects, it takes someone willing to do it to actually do it.

Also -- having "well known" things included should gain enough favor to ReactOS that eventually, equivelent AND superior clones to these things where they are either not up to speed, or don't currently exist, will be default come into existance because of supply and demand.

Dave
Twarrior

Post by Twarrior »

Bobus wrote:IE is free to use, so I don't think they will care once we ask (of course as long as they do not consider ROS as a competitor :roll: ).
Otherwise I will have to work with NN or something different what can simulate IE core.
Being a FREE alternative to Windows, Reactos is by DEFAULT a compeditor and once we meet and beat Windows, MS will see ReactOS as a serious threat.

Comes with the terretory.

Dave