Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

If anything should be called a hog, IMHO, it is a certain OS made in Redmond, WA, USA.
Hmm…

«As for the bloatware comment, the more I learn about Reactos, the more respect I have for Microsoft. Anyone bashing the quality of Microsoft's code should take up coding in C and come join us.»
PurpleGurl

Re:

Post by PurpleGurl »

hto wrote:
If anything should be called a hog, IMHO, it is a certain OS made in Redmond, WA, USA.
Hmm…

«As for the bloatware comment, the more I learn about Reactos, the more respect I have for Microsoft. Anyone bashing the quality of Microsoft's code should take up coding in C and come join us.»
Taking something said in a totally unrelated thread out of context to bash a passing comment in the form of a joke is OT and a misuse of the original text, if I may be so bold as to say this.

I was very careful to phrase it as a hint and call it an opinion. Besides there is a difference in calling something fat and calling it bloated. I could also say one OS is sickly thin too, but it is starting to put on some healthy weight. So it is all about degree and perspective.

But I think you got my point. If it is offensive to call another OS bloated or a hog, then why should we tolerate calling a possible fork of Reactos a term that is degrading in many parts of the world such as Swine? If we are going for offensive, then why stop at barnyard animals? Someone on YouTube degraded Reactos and everyone with dark skin at the same time by using a racial slur. So there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Taking something said in a totally unrelated thread out of context to bash a passing comment in the form of a joke is OT and a misuse of the original text, if I may be so bold as to say this.
Oh, do not take it too seriously. :) I just found it amusing that you write seemingly contradictory things.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Re:

Post by vicmarcal »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Nahh PurpleGurl, hto is not a "bad guy".If someone will be willing to help you, it'll be Hto. He has never had bad words to anyone, take his comment as a "joke",browsing throught the Forum answers you will see that his technical answers are some of the best around here.Btw, he is one of the coolest ReactOS devs that are still helping Newcomers/Testers in the forum :)
Be sure his comment didn't pretend to offend you at all :)
PurpleGurl

Re:

Post by PurpleGurl »

hto wrote:
Oh, do not take it too seriously. :) I just found it amusing that you write seemingly contradictory things.
Only because you took what I said out of context. With me, you have to make sure that you read everything I say in a vacuum. Don't try to get to know me, don't try to connect to me, and assume that whatever is said is only true for the moment it is said. I have plenty more to say, but this is OT, and we can discuss it more in the OT forum.
vicmarcal wrote:Be sure his comment didn't pretend to offend you at all :)
Oh, I am not pretending to be offended. That is genuinely how I feel. I don't take kindly to being evaluated nor having everything I say or do put under a microscope. In both places, I said what I felt at the time like all people should do. I believe it is wrong to bring the past into any present conversation, and I am offended when someone throws up said elsewhere. I still believe we have a culture and attitude problem, and maybe the thread I started for that should be dusted off.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Re:

Post by vicmarcal »

PurpleGurl wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Be sure his comment didn't pretend to offend you at all :)
Oh, I am not pretending to be offended. That is genuinely how I feel.
Breath, and re-read my sentence :) or.. maybe it's my fault and my English is quite bad.Let's rephrase: "you can be sure he didn't try to offend you at all with his comment".Just look his posts and you won't see any personal attacks or any harass comments.
Anyway, I won't OT more since this is an Arwinss thread :)
fred02

Re:

Post by fred02 »

hto wrote: ... the more I learn about Reactos, the more respect I have for Microsoft.
Since the discussion went quite off-topic anyway, I would like to take the opportunity to sign under every word.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

fred02 wrote:
hto wrote: ... the more I learn about Reactos, the more respect I have for Microsoft.
Since the discussion went quite off-topic anyway, I would like to take the opportunity to sign under every word.
I don't want to arrogate to myself the words of others. :)
fred02

Re:

Post by fred02 »

hto wrote: I don't want to arrogate to myself the words of others. :)
Yes, I noticed the quotes. So who was the original author?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

So who was the original author?
PurpleGurl herself. I joined the two sentences together for humorous, as I thought, effect, only to provoke outspoken displeasure of the author.

I think I have to be more careful in this multicultural environment…
PurpleGurl

Re: Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Post by PurpleGurl »

I am sorry I derailed this topic, and I apologize for expressing feelings of offense. At any rate, we were discussing Reactos and swine. I don't think that is a good name, and I don't see the relevance or connection. Not that there has to be any relevance. Windows really has nothing to do with the OS, but the name worked. It sounds better than "Interface Manager" as was originally used.
KermEd

Post by KermEd »

No worries. - it happens to all of us. Its the nature of the internet.

Back on topic though I vote Betty. Cuz lets be honest. Once everyones done with it, its going to be something completely different anyway :)

It looks like it has been summed up as:

React(-OS)+WineReference / WineReference+React(-OS), play on how ReactOS revitalization, or play on wine.

As the original team has (valid) concerns about losing existing progress, removing a clear React reference would probably not be recommended. Additionally it may cause some occasional visitors to not know what it is... So that leaves option 1 or 2 imo - but there are always new ideas too.
fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

PurpleGurl wrote:
igorko wrote:There are nose and eyes on logo. So it's face(at least almost ) ;)
It looks uneven like it is a foot with toes. Reactoes?
LOL @ Reactoes, I thought so too when I first saw that logo.

I was quite busy with other things in ReactOS, mainly organization-related. But Arwinss is alive, and it progresses with every Wine commit, not only with every our own commit. I recently fixed problems which prevented Arwinss from working in trunk, so it works now. The next step we are taking is updating Arwinss to the recent Wine, taking all their improvements. Already some work was done in this direction, but I don't want to announce it here yet.
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

Nobody commented on my idea for Reactos' new name on a past thread, but I think I have a great idea, and I really think I should mention it again in this thread.
The name I have in mind is WindOS. It resembles windows, it has Wind as a metaphor for a fast and lightweight system. Come on people, support with on this one. ;)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

fLuXx wrote:Nobody commented on my idea for Reactos' new name on a past thread, but I think I have a great idea, and I really think I should mention it again in this thread.
The name I have in mind is WindOS. It resembles windows, it has Wind as a metaphor for a fast and lightweight system. Come on people, support with on this one. ;)
That could be asking for a lawsuit. It is too close to Windows and they could argue trademark dilution.

We could do what Windows did and choose a name out of the blue. Windows sounds better than "MS-DOS Executive" as the code name for Windows 1.0 was.

We must remember that this is only the name of the ARWINSS enhanced Reactos, and not Reactos itself. I suggested to split off Reactos like Windows is split off into different OS names. There is Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc. Since ARWINSS uses more Wine code, a fork could be called Reactos Grape (even do a nice purple theme for it, etc).