Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: Arwinss : Alternative names + logo request

Post by PurpleGurl »

clancg2003 wrote: Well there's a couple of negative connotations about it. The biggest of which is that despite being in development since 1993, it has yet to really reach a "stable" state, and software regressions are still fairly common with it. Another thing is that a lot of the programs do work perfectly, but in order to get them a lot of them do do this, you have to tinker around with stuff, usually configurations. Since our target audience is Windows users, I think it's a bad decision to use the word wine in the new name as they'll mistakenly believe that they'll have to tweak around a bunch of stuff, in order to run a lot of their programs. This could potentially turn some people away from downloading and testing the new subsystem.
Yes, I've witnessed this. I brought up Reactos in a Topix thread, and some came over and checked it out. At least one from there burned an image or used an emulator and gave it a test drive. They mentioned that they read it used WINE code, and the way they said it, it seems they didn't respect WINE all that much. I gave a reply explaining that if the code was good, there is no use in duplicating it, and that Reactos has actually improved WINE. Someone gave my post some negative icons (like crazy/nuts, clueless, and disagree). That in itself doesn't mean much, since some Topix users use the icons to target people regardless of what they say.

I have a feeling some tinkering might be necessary, but only in terms of simple things like what versions are reported, and not like with WINE. Even Windows itself has that issue on occasion, and they have an easy workaround system. The Windows registry comes with a whole list of mostly old software and compatibility flags.

The beauty of things like wikis and open source software (when the model works) is that it is very similar to how science operates. Teams on different projects make their "findings" (source code) public, and many people test it, and teams don't have to duplicate work once it is out there, assuming the code is adequate. Like with science, others can play around, test things, and see if they can repeat the findings. And they can share common code and improve upon it. It is like with higher education. College and collage actually come from the same roots. Both are collections. One is a collection of photos, and the other a collection of wisdom and knowledge that is learned, added to, and passed on. That is what we do here. So there is nothing wrong with us using WINE code since it helps both projects.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I was certain that WINE is targetted at Linux userbase, to those who need for some reason to run some or several windows apps, but dont want to buy windows just for that. Targetting Windows users means you need to convince them that Linux will be sufficient for their everyday/production stuff, which is often not the case.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

WinWine ?

Candy Wine ?

Super Wine ?

The mixed logo of ROS and WINE is great !

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

WildWine

rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

InterWin
"intermediate" "interoperability" "international" - "windows/wine - but not quite" "winner"

patrik

Post by patrik »

boomhauer wrote:Ok guys just found this thread, how bout - Tawny Port, or just Tawny. For those who enjoy a nice port wine, this is a popular barrel-aged option.

Another type is Ruby Port, but this would have obviousy name confusion with the ruby language ;)
I was about to suggest Tawny.

It's short, catchy, playful, and in the end, it's destilled Wine. So only people in the "know" will know exactly what it is, but anyone with a neuron will catch the wine reference.

Tawny or PortWine vote from me.

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

clancg2003 wrote:First things first, do not put os in the new name -=skip=-
At least one more sane post in the thread! People so much want to think a name for the OS, when I asked a name for a part of the OS, for the technology used in the OS, but not OS itself!

The problem with "Arwinss" is the double ss at the end, which are confusing to pronounce, also I wasn't sure that the word "Arwin" exists. (Tolkien invented "Arwen" name in LOTR, for Elrond's daughter ;)).
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

You could call "Arwinss" an enhanced WINE, so...
"Vodka" could be a good name after all. It's less tasty than wine, but much more strong :D

ArWin could be a shortcut from "Alternative Win32"

Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

or maby AlterWin it mean all of construck 32bit, 64,ARM and some other System who run on it.
Alternative Windows System, or maby AlterWinS and maby for all shortcutfreaks AWS ;) ...
and i think, therewith can all win ;) if it is reged for Reactos NT System with an Alternative Windows System.
humm... or add API= Alternative Windows API like Wine it is a Windows API on Linux, so why not
than use API for this name Fireball. AlterWinApi or so..

best Regards
Blacky

JesperL

Post by JesperL »

Why not just Call it Rwins or Rwin32 if the problem is the dubble S.
then just choose a suitable word that starts with R
some of my favorite one's would be:

Reference
Research
Rival
Restructured
Reactionary
Renegade
Rebellious
Redone
Renewed
Rewritten
Reworked
Relayed
Remake
Rhetorical
Reflective

The choice has to be done by one who knows the long term plans for this particular project... It's hard for us others to truly assess.
[ external image ]

AloneRaven

Post by AloneRaven »

Hi! My logo concept:
[ external image ]

Good names do not come up. But there are some ideas:
Fusion OS / ReFusion OS

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Another thought. Just give it a "Windows type" name. Windows took 2 development paths. There was the 3.1 path and Windows 95 was a leap from there. NT borrowed from the interface, but they wrote its kernel pretty much from scratch. I am not a developer, so I will take some liberties here. They added HAL and brought the GUI part closer to the kernel. They did that for stability, learning from 95/98 that when things start to go wrong, you need more user intervention. When moving from 98 to 2000, that is what I noticed. It didn't crash as much, and when it did, it was easier to get it to listen to me when I tried pulling up Task Manager. The user interface was closer to the core.

Okay, I diverged, but both implementations had Windows in the name. So taking their lead, we could call it ReactOs AW, ReactOS RW or whatever. Or like the post above this one, we could call it ReactOS Fusion. That would show that it is still ReactOS, but a different development path.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

PurpleGurl wrote: but both implementations had Windows in the name.
i bet with you, Microsoft whant cry a river if reactos use an Windowsname,
Windows is regged by Microsoft ,like i know ...

best regards
Blacky

Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Blackcrack wrote:

best regards
Blacky
You don't even get PurpleGurls purpose - he said "let's use a name scheme like Microsoft uses for Windows" and not "use Windows in the name scheme", which he also explains in the rest of the post!

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Blackcrack wrote:

best regards
Blacky
I am not sure if you understood me. Just like there was Windows NT, Windows ME, Windows 2000, etc., we could do similar with ours. We don't use "Windows" nor the letters they used in our name, but we could approach by this creating different families of Reactos. Then we could have Reactos Fusion, Reactos AW, whatever. Reuse most components and try a few different major components, giving each their own family name, but with the overall goal of making one stable Reactos in the end. Overall, most users won't care if we have to do things a Wine or Reactos-specific sort of way and use a wrapper as long as it works, and with initial setup no harder than when installing Windows. So if ARWINSS is a coding compromise, most users won't care if they have to wait for a more efficient implementation, so long as it works.

As for the post before this one, I don't think a "he" can be a "gurl" (girl).
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.