Porting ReactOS to different Hardware...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you like to run ReactOS on another platform then i386, and in that case what platform?

Power Mac (RISC)
10%
Motorola 68k familly (Mac, Amiga, Atari ST)
4%
Comqaq DEC Alpha
1%
PocketPC/ WindowsCE hardware
12%
Other 32bit
6%
Other 16bit
No votes
Other 8bit
No votes
Intel 64bit
6%
AMD 64bit
57%
Transmeta Native
4%

Total votes: 69

Jaix
Moderator Team

Interesting siscussion!

Post by Jaix » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:00 am

Hello everyone, its starting to get really interesting.

I woan't comment om everything you wrote as replies to my posts because it has already been done but generally I want to share a nice thought.
Say someone is building a ADSL-router and firewall, he builds the hardware and is going to choose the software, linux is a good alternative as a realtime environment, QNX is yet another but windows has it's advantages too. This guy chooses to go for ReactOS and picks a part of the operatingsystem that he needs and writes a custom layer software for his hardware he uses Remote Desktop or UltraVNC (RealVNC clone that is actually usable because of speed) as display, he can then build a little box as those netgear use with a standard windows GUI running on a really cheap CPU meant for a RTOS, this is going to be one future approach to make ReactOS really interesting I think.
This guy isn't interested in running a lot of comersial software (from other developers) just what he needs to get his hardware going and simple to use.
On the other side the guy with an Amiga 1200HD will probably together with a lot of other enthusiasts make a port that use some sort of emulation to make all code work even thoug they probably mostly will use opensource code so they can compile it to run faster on their hardware.
This isn't stupid or foolish, this is how enthusiasts work, nice isn't it.
I also think ReactOS will be able to run without GUI in the future, this will reduce the amount of software to run, but when everything is opensource it will be acceavable, mostly for those who are working on tosters and other hardware not matching a modern computer. Someone is going to make this work I'm sure, then everyone can use it just like Linux

I also want to show anothe nice project, one guy (enthusiast) made an operatingsystem Contiki http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki for really old 8-bit computers like C64, Apple ][, Vic-20, Gameboy and a lot of others it's very portable has a GUI TCP-IP stack, webbrowser, webserver, e-mail client, vnc server and a lot of other software computes that doesn't even have networking or even proper serial ports, nothing is impossible for ReactOS it's just a matter of enthusiasm.

solemnwarning

Re: Interesting siscussion!

Post by solemnwarning » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm

Jaix wrote:Hello everyone, its starting to get really interesting.

I woan't comment om everything you wrote as replies to my posts because it has already been done but generally I want to share a nice thought.
Say someone is building a ADSL-router and firewall, he builds the hardware and is going to choose the software, linux is a good alternative as a realtime environment, QNX is yet another but windows has it's advantages too. This guy chooses to go for ReactOS and picks a part of the operatingsystem that he needs and writes a custom layer software for his hardware he uses Remote Desktop or UltraVNC (RealVNC clone that is actually usable because of speed) as display, he can then build a little box as those netgear use with a standard windows GUI running on a really cheap CPU meant for a RTOS, this is going to be one future approach to make ReactOS really interesting I think.
This guy isn't interested in running a lot of comersial software (from other developers) just what he needs to get his hardware going and simple to use.
On the other side the guy with an Amiga 1200HD will probably together with a lot of other enthusiasts make a port that use some sort of emulation to make all code work even thoug they probably mostly will use opensource code so they can compile it to run faster on their hardware.
This isn't stupid or foolish, this is how enthusiasts work, nice isn't it.
I also think ReactOS will be able to run without GUI in the future, this will reduce the amount of software to run, but when everything is opensource it will be acceavable, mostly for those who are working on tosters and other hardware not matching a modern computer. Someone is going to make this work I'm sure, then everyone can use it just like Linux

I also want to show anothe nice project, one guy (enthusiast) made an operatingsystem Contiki http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki for really old 8-bit computers like C64, Apple ][, Vic-20, Gameboy and a lot of others it's very portable has a GUI TCP-IP stack, webbrowser, webserver, e-mail client, vnc server and a lot of other software computes that doesn't even have networking or even proper serial ports, nothing is impossible for ReactOS it's just a matter of enthusiasm.
Yeah Linux Is A Awesome Router, Windows Sucks For Routers Though, If ReactOS Could Be Used As A Router In A Year Or Two And It Worked Just As Good As Linux And Also Was Very Stable I Might Set It Up On My Router (I Use Smoothwall Linux) Althoth First I Would Wait For This:

Full Network Support
A Lot More Stable (My Router Has Only Crashed Once In The 2 Months Its Been Up And It Just Needed Rebooting)
Ability To Route Internet (No ICS Crap)
Portmapping Ability (I Could Use AnalogX Portmapper For This)
Firewall
Remote Web-Based Control Panal (Preferably HTTPS But HTTP Is Fine) (Apache Good For This)

It Would Neet To Work With 3 Lan Cards:

LAN1 --> Internet (DCHP)
LAN2 --> Internal Network (Needs Firewall) (192.168.0.*)
LAN3 --> DMZ (10.0.0.*)

It Would Be Great If ROS Could Be Used As A Router Soon And Match All The Above

ea
Developer

Post by ea » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:30 pm

[quote="Jaix"]I also think ReactOS will be able to run without GUI in the future, this will reduce the amount of software to run, but when everything is opensource it will be acceavable, mostly for those who are working on tosters and other hardware not matching a modern computer. Someone is going to make this work I'm sure, then everyone can use it just like Linux/quote]

ROS actually can right now run without the GUI. Since 1998, if I remember well. Just look for explorer.exe in the registry and change it with cmd.exe.

Wierd

Post by Wierd » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:02 pm

Simply not loading EXPLORER.EXE doesnt kill the GDI subsystem. It is still running, and will try to execute on demand when a graphical application is launched from the console propmpt.

This does not happen in Linux, becuase Linux wasnt built with a GUI in mind.

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:38 pm

solemnwarning wrote:It Would Be Great If ROS Could Be Used As A Router Soon And Match All The Above
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand why you want to run ReactOS on your router. Unless you specifically need to run Windows programs or use Windows drivers, keep Linux. It's a lot more versatile, the networking code has been in development a lot longer and is much more stable. It is much more versatile, and can be customised and stripped down as much as you want. You don't have to include any unnecessary components like the GUI and as I understand, you get a lot more control over what goes on inside. Its command line tools are more powerful, too.
If you want robustness and stability, Linux has a big head start on ReactOS.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Windows as router.

Post by Jaix » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:10 am

I have been using Windows as router since mid 90:s the previous millennium. Win2000 server is VERY stable. I don´t have to reboot unless I do anything stupid or I add a security patch.

daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:34 am

ReactOS isin't designed to work as a router, or to work as a vpn manager or other...it was designed following nt4, 2000, xp and so on...

Linux was developed (after the firstes releases) to substituite unix, unix was developed to work as a router, to work as a vpn manager and so on

so ReactOS can be used to do these things too, but it aim to do other things mainly

i think this :)

solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:13 am

counting_pine wrote:
solemnwarning wrote:It Would Be Great If ROS Could Be Used As A Router Soon And Match All The Above
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand why you want to run ReactOS on your router. Unless you specifically need to run Windows programs or use Windows drivers, keep Linux. It's a lot more versatile, the networking code has been in development a lot longer and is much more stable. It is much more versatile, and can be customised and stripped down as much as you want. You don't have to include any unnecessary components like the GUI and as I understand, you get a lot more control over what goes on inside. Its command line tools are more powerful, too.
If you want robustness and stability, Linux has a big head start on ReactOS.
It WouldBe Simple To Do Things Like Antivirus Cos Smoothwall Only Has A Bash Terminal And A Web Interface

uniQ

Post by uniQ » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:14 am

Well it might be better for companies who already have their staff trained in Windows, since ROS is alot like Windows, there would be minimal training needed.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.

Jaix
Moderator Team

BMW versus Saab

Post by Jaix » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:55 am

daniele_dll wrote:
ReactOS isin't designed to work as a router, or to work as a vpn manager or other...it was designed following nt4, 2000, xp and so on...

Linux was developed (after the firstes releases) to substituite unix, unix was developed to work as a router, to work as a vpn manager and so on

so ReactOS can be used to do these things too, but it aim to do other things mainly
A BMW is made to run on the autobahn very fast in long turns it is not build for driving inside the city there you have to change to a Honda that can actually make sharp turns around a 90 degree corner or you can use a Saab which is suitable for the autobahn and the city... ?

Software, it's about the software, nothing stopps ReactOS from being a good router, it's not yet, but it's just in 0.2.4 stage so it is forgivable.

Windows isn't in routers cause people don't want to pay for software licenses in a computer that just stands chewing data and doesn't even need a harddisk, screen, keyboard and mouse. When it is free many people (like me) don't want to run Linux because they don't have time to learn a specific OS just for a router, so they choos ReactOS which is very suitable to run as a router.

frik85
Developer

Re: BMW versus Saab

Post by frik85 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:33 pm

Jaix wrote:Windows isn't in routers cause people don't want to pay for software licenses in a computer that just stands chewing data and doesn't even need a harddisk, screen, keyboard and mouse. When it is free many people (like me) don't want to run Linux because they don't have time to learn a specific OS just for a router, so they choos ReactOS which is very suitable to run as a router.
I also think so. Why should anyone use linux in a router when he is familar with DOS/Win/Ros?

daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:27 pm

Software, it's about the software, nothing stopps ReactOS from being a good router, it's not yet, but it's just in 0.2.4 stage so it is forgivable.
me
reactos can be used to do routers but old you will can't use a 486 with reactos setted up because 486 will die before it start, so...reactos can be used to do routers but you need to set up more powerful machine and you need to use advanced software that isin't incorporated into windows and, i think, that these softwares will not be added to reactos

so you need to set up reactos, a gateway software and a firewall software...and these software are painful for slower machines...

for this reason, i think, that reactos do not aim to run on routers but to do other things...like servers...and desktop machine

but i repeat it another time...you can use it for a router...but you will need more powerful machine. This problem, will resolve itself if reactos will support a "only console mode", using this and line command apps, you can use old machines as routers...and you will don't need to buy a more powerful machine

i think this :!:

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:40 pm

daniele_dll wrote:This problem, will resolve itself if reactos will support a "only console mode", using this and line command apps, you can use old machines as routers...and you will don't need to buy a more powerful machine
ReactOS support the console mode (the same way winnt do). Change the registry key (explorer.exe -> cmd.exe)!
If you open a GUI Programm in console mode the graphical mode start.

So you will be able to config your ReactOS router in GUI mode and restart ReactOS and boot it in console mode with some console apps. :wink:

daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:20 pm

frik85 wrote:
daniele_dll wrote:This problem, will resolve itself if reactos will support a "only console mode", using this and line command apps, you can use old machines as routers...and you will don't need to buy a more powerful machine
ReactOS support the console mode (the same way winnt do). Change the registry key (explorer.exe -> cmd.exe)!

So you will be able to config your ReactOS router in GUI mode and restart ReactOS and boot it in console mode with some console apps. :wink:
no...this isin't a "console" mode :)
for console i want to say...without any graphical driver loaded ^^
under text mode

Gasmann

Post by Gasmann » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:22 pm

daniele_dll wrote:
frik85 wrote:

no...this isin't a "console" mode :)
for console i want to say...without any graphical driver loaded ^^
under text mode
:? But then it is text mode, I think. There's only a blue background and white text on it.