amount of developers increasing ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

amount of developers increasing ?

Post by wildschwein »

I count 36 developers in status "green" and read some new names.

Is the amount of developers increasing ? That would be very good news....

greenie

Re: amount of developers increasing ?

Post by greenie »

For those that do not know the page I think wildschwein is referring to it is this one.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/People_of_ReactOS

Though I think some of those are inactive. I tried to get in contact with someone and havn't received in email over many weeks. Plus I havn't seen or noticed commits in the area he is working on for months and months maybe over year. Yet his name is still green.

So I would think that the number is less than 36.

Maybe it is time for a role call. It would be interesting to see how many active developers there are.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

The number of developers are increasing slowly but increasing. But much more important is that casual contributors(people who send patches) are increasing quite fast.
This "Casual contributors" growing is quite important as they could become our next future devs. And also it reflects that we are reaching more people out there.
Our developing depends on real life, sometimes our devs has issues in work or exams so they can not develop, but after it they come again with new fresh air.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

but even not the number is important, than the skills of devs...

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

wildschwein wrote:but even not the number is important, than the skills of devs...
Both are important. If you have four ultra skilled devs, you will have a slower development than with 40 medium skilled devs, basically because that four skilled devs need a work for living, and that means they will not have time to spend in the development. But having noone with enough skill to code into the kernel and subsystems, then the development (assuming it is starting the project, not right now) just freezes.
I think the skill of the ReactOS devs is just right, I think they are skilled, so, the problem of this particular project is the number.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

yes, you are surely right...let's hope that more devs join...perhaps after Chemnitzer Linux Tage...

boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

growth of casual devs i think is a quite positive trend, signalling acceptance and stabilization of the core.

Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Ohloh Analysis Summary
* Mostly written in C
* Mature, well-established codebase
* Very large, active development team
* Decreasing year-over-year development activity

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Jedi-to-be wrote:Ohloh Analysis Summary
* Mostly written in C
* Mature, well-established codebase
* Very large, active development team
* Decreasing year-over-year development activity
Read also the comment when hovering the mouse over it. You can read something like:
"It maybe could be related that the project is getting to a mature state so there is no need of a lot of commits but quality ones"As you can see we are in that part of the curve, updating and rewritting the current code.(also have in mind that usually our rewrites are cleaning unneeded code so there are negative values,less lines, which can lie to the system)

zed260

Post by zed260 »

also of intrest is that if ohloh is right there have been 32 devlopers contribute code over past 12 months

zed260

Post by zed260 »

take ohloh with a grain of salt though (look at firefox listing it has only 1 active devloper listed )