Is it possible to have ROS boot in textmode

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Peterbjornx

Is it possible to have ROS boot in textmode

Post by Peterbjornx » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 am

I am testing ReactOS on real hardware and i have discovered that textmode setup works fine on my PC but normal boot crashes, and i suspect my video driver so i wanted to test booting in textmode so i can at least get a debug log, how would i modify reactos to use a pure textmode boot not the graphics thing with the banners, but what setup and bluescreens use.

Smiley
Developer

Re: Is it possible to have ROS boot in textmode

Post by Smiley » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Peterbjornx wrote:I am testing ReactOS on real hardware and i have discovered that textmode setup works fine on my PC but normal boot crashes, and i suspect my video driver so i wanted to test booting in textmode so i can at least get a debug log, how would i modify reactos to use a pure textmode boot not the graphics thing with the banners, but what setup and bluescreens use.
Hi Peterbjornx,
before jumping to conclusions it would be wiser to analyze why reactos can't boot to gui. It is possible that something else prevents reactos from booting normally. That's why we should inspect precicely what happens. Is it possible to provide a debug log? (A debug log is retrieved by connecting your pc with another computer with through the serial port. In this way reactos sends additional information of what happens)

You can have a look in our wiki in the Debugging section for additional information. If you have any more questions post feel free to ask here or in our irc channel.

Thanks for testing reactos

Edit: after submiting my reply I realized that I didn't reply to your original question if it is possible to boot to text mode. :D .
Unfortunately reactos used to be able to boot to text mode but this feature doesn't work lately due to bug. We are working on this.