CycleGeek added 0.3.13 to planned releases

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

CycleGeek added 0.3.13 to planned releases

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Disaster!
CycleGeek

Re: CycleGeek added 0.3.13 to planned releases

Post by CycleGeek »

A 0.3.13 release was expected to happen and it has already been announced on the front page under "Short-term plan". If there is enough development to switch to the 0.4 series (which I doubt will happen), the revision can be undone so it shows that 0.4.0 is the next in the series. If the developers are uneasy about community members editing the page, it can be protected just like the Roadmap and ChangeLogs.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Technically all menu templates should have been locked. Rather surprised that one wasn't. And the planned release section is for major point releases, not minor ones.
CycleGeek

Post by CycleGeek »

Navigation Changelog needs to be protected also. On a related note, while it may not be necessary, it should be considered to protect the titles of the planned major point releases.

The next planned version in the series has always been listed since the current layout for the template has been used, even having its own template at one time (Template:ReactOS-Next-Version). Without the next planned release in the series, in this instance 0.3.13, it may be misconstrued that 0.4.0 is the next planned released.

At Jedi-to-be: I would like to know why you considered this edit a "disaster." Although, on the basis of Z98's comment, the edit would have be out of my bounds, the information is still accurate.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Because all people want to see 0.4.0 and not another 0.3.N.
Ey3

Post by Ey3 »

Jedi-to-be wrote:Because all people want to see 0.4.0 and not another 0.3.N.
Yes, but 0.4.0 means basic USB support, new Explorer working, ...
Would you provide all these things? I'd be glad :D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

well. want me telling you my opinion? i dont care what the community WANTS or even DEMANDS from us. If we get all things done for a big step, then we will release 0.4.0 otherwise we have to add more minors, because if we dont, you will kill us for not releasing for sooooo long! But if you wanna wait a bit longer, we skip the minors and get to a big one as next release.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

EmuandCo wrote:
well. want me telling you my opinion? i dont care what the community WANTS or even DEMANDS from us. If we get all things done for a big step, then we will release 0.4.0 otherwise we have to add more minors, because if we dont, you will kill us for not releasing for sooooo long! But if you wanna wait a bit longer, we skip the minors and get to a big one as next release.
Doesnt that that make a community driven project pointless? Doesnt a opensource community driven project require community input?
If not then this whole project has just became pointless.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A valid point. Not sure why EmuandCo reacted that way, that was a bit discourteous in the wording.
ch_123

Post by ch_123 »

Doesnt that that make a community driven project pointless? Doesnt a opensource community driven project require community input?
If not then this whole project has just became pointless.
Input is usually suggestions on what the project should be, or how it should be developed. Asking for a higher version number isn't really input, as it is purely a mechanical process that represents progress. If the devs deem it necessary to have another 0.3.x release before the first 0.4 one, it's probably because there are things that need to be fixed or added before they jump to the next milestone. They aren't going to gain the ability to magically fix everything quicker if people tell them they want a shiny new version number.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

He did use improper words, but an idea is there. In community-driven projects, if you want something done in the project, something you require, you should join the project effort and from within try to push your idea into completion. People who are not really in the project rarely have an accurate look into it's situation, hence their expectations for it are usually off any limit. The only solution for that is to participate actively in the project and learning by your own work how do the things look. Sure, i seen few things being pointed out accurately by outsiders, but for most people here, the discussion is usually very theoretical at best. This does create a tension between project and community, with project members feeling that community is not putting any effort, and requiring miracles, whereas community feels ignored and put away from any project-related decisisons. The problem is that possibly both sides are right to some point.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I believe the true problem of this project is its current stage: it is wearing the mask of usability, particularly if you look at the impressive screenshots, but apparently has quite some way to go ere it materially fulfils this expectation. Shortly said, it "looks as if it works but doesn't, and people want it to work".
Ey3

Post by Ey3 »

Aeneas wrote:I believe the true problem of this project is its current stage: it is wearing the mask of usability, particularly if you look at the impressive screenshots, but apparently has quite some way to go ere it materially fulfils this expectation. Shortly said, it "looks as if it works but doesn't, and people want it to work".
Screenshots are screenshots, we do not promise that a software shown on a screen means that the software fully works.
Alpha stage, instead, means ALPHA STAGE, and everyone knows what does this mean.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Screenshots say that someone did manage to get to the point shown on it. Nothing else can be guaranteed.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Ey3 wrote: Alpha stage, instead, means ALPHA STAGE, and everyone knows what does this mean.
The front page only says that the OS is not suitable to use it now. But there's no information about when it will be ready.

If somebody will honestly say that it must take ages, given the current speed of the development progress, for ReactOS to reach a usable state, then it can turn people away from here. But otherwise, people will wait and, as time passes, become more and more disappointed…