Make VirtualBox compatibility a top priority

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Freeguy

Make VirtualBox compatibility a top priority

Post by Freeguy »

Today, the first contact between computer users and a new operating system is most likely to take place in virtual machines. Out of all these VM programs, VirtualBox is both popular and(mostly) free software.

So why not concentrate more forces on getting ReactOS to run the VirtualBox Guest Additions flawlessly? (until it's stable enough for everyday use directly on hardware)

I'm sure a lot more people would be interested in ReactOS if it would be able to run Guest Additions well (like Windows 7 does, in this example on top of Mac OS X http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFatBloke ... kOUdrj4pR4) and provide at least shared folders and seamless mode.

Take my case as an example: I have a Linux computer and I'm lucky enough that ReactOS can actually run all 4 windows applications that I really need!! However without shared folders they would be useless, and so I'm forced to use Wine, instead of being able to contribute to your project.

betaluva

Re: Make VirtualBox compatibility a top priority

Post by betaluva »

ReactOS usually works fine in Virtualbox,i know the ReactOS Team have been focusing on making sure that the Virtualbox additions install and work with ReactOS ( if you check ReactOS Apps Manager you see there is link to download audio drivers for Virtualbox )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abtM6UnjCUY

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

yes. but shard folders are not working yet
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes

Freeguy

Post by Freeguy »

I've managed to test the new 0.3.12 release in VirtualBox yesterday and I must say it's a MASSIVE improvement over the older version!! I can really say the OS is finally coming together.
Also, Guest Additions run much better: now I can move the mouse pointer freely between my Linux desktop and the ReactOS virtual machine.
Shared folders, as EmuandCo pointed out, still don't work. It's not clear to me whether it's a compatibility issue between ReactOS and Guest Additions or just the fact that ROS doesn't support network drives(shared folders) yet.

dark

Post by dark »

From what I've read, after Oracle took it over the new version of VirtualBox mysteriously stopped working well with just about everything. I think people were blaming something like improper handling of page faults or something.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

My Win XP guest is working fine in Oracle VirtualBox in Ubuntu 64-bit Linux. So I have a standard against which to compare the progress being made with the ReactOS guest.

I'm looking forward to shared folders working, because that is an important part of the connection between my main OS and VirtualBox.

Clicking the "Install Guest Additions" link under "Devices" doesn't seem to do anything. I have a D: "drive" with the guest additions .iso in it, and there are some executables there. I tried running one, and "Setup" starts up normally, but then it ends with the error message that I need Administrator rights to run the program.

Doesn't the default user of ReactOS have admin rights?

Lane

akula.dll

Post by akula.dll »

@LaneLester

I suggest you to install React OS 0.3.12 from the .iso , the .vmdk image that React-Boyz provide is a little bit buggy, especially with linux x86_64 hosts. When i've tried the "Virtualbox-ready" image and i've found it less ready than i expected, because on Windows 7/Vista/Xp all run smooth on linux instead i've got some problems, then i've decided to install from the .iso the system on a .vdi image disk that is the native virtualbox format and the system is running fine now.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

Thanks for the tip. The VB install from the .iso is going much better.

Unlike the VB package I tried, I could set the screen at 1024x768 instead of 800x600.

The mouse and other video processes are working fine.

The keyboard has problems in that the Caps Lock is backwards in its effect... well, there are other keyboard-related problems. It's not possible to get the shifted-number symbols to show up in Notepad.

Later: I got the guest extensions installed, and other than the backwards Caps Lock, the keyboard now seems to be working OK.

During the install there was a gecko (?) download, and a bunch of drivers said they couldn't install.

Lane

akula.dll

Post by akula.dll »

Do your guest additions works? Mine not really, i've got a "greenish" screen and a unstable system...

What ubuntu are you using and what virtualbox version?

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

My screen went greenish, too, and I discovered that installing the additions had reset the video to 800x600 and 256 colors. I changed it back to 1024x768/32K and all was fine again.

The only additions function I notice is the ability to move in and out of the VB window without having to use the Right-Ctrl key.

I'm running Ubuntu Studio Maverick 64-bit, and VB 3.2.10.

Lane

steveh

Hint for virtualbox: guest configs "unknown OS" works best

Post by steveh »

Hi,

i have installed the virtualbox alldone image of 0.3.12 and it works flawlessly (on a linux 32bit host).

It also helped me to work around some problems i got systematically when trying to install 0.3.11, 0.4trunk and 0.3.12prereleasebranch, and the final release 0.3.12 versions:
Starting with virtualbox 3.2.0 the "URL entry field" of firefox 3.6.xx installed on reactos, was "locked". I could never type an url manually. And when i tried to work with the mouse on it in that case, firefox often got frozen completely.

In fact i found the preloaded 0.3.12 vmdk has a guest configuration as "unknown OS family" + "unknown OS",
whereas i previously always set "windows family" and "xp" for reactos guest...

Since that discovery, i now also set the guest with 2 x "unknown" when i prepared a guest machine for installing 0.3.12 myself. Even the self-compiled reactos0.3.12 now installs perfectly and firefox works well.
No longer any problem with firefox' url field.

So i personally can recommand not to config the virtual machine as "windows friendly" for reactos installation.
I accept that in this solution that virtualbox does not have a graphical 2D acceleration, but only 3D acceleration.

In general, i much appreciate the 0.3.12 release, and consider it a great progress:
more fluent and stable, and better performance, .... and firefox 3.6.xx has "normal" fonts. (No longer that ugly letter shifting known from firefox 3.xx running on 0.3.11).
One of next days i will also give 0.3.12 installation on real hardware a try, on a slightly older computer (P4 manufactured in 2001)

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

Starting with virtualbox 3.2.0 the "URL entry field" of firefox 3.6.xx installed on reactos, was "locked". I could never type an url manually. And when i tried to work with the mouse on it in that case, firefox often got frozen completely.
I just observed this same behavior with Firefox.
Since that discovery, i now also set the guest with 2 x "unknown" when i prepared a guest machine for installing 0.3.12 myself. Even the self-compiled reactos0.3.12 now installs perfectly and firefox works well. No longer any problem with firefox' url field.
I guess I'm going to have to reinstall from scratch with the "other" setting. I tried changing the present install from Win97 to Other, and although Firefox doesn't crash and links can be clicked, nothing can be typed into fields.

I need to get Firefox working, because it's the only way I know to add my own programs to the OS, since the shared folders are not working yet.

Lane

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

No joy. I did a new install setting it to Other. Firefox is still unuseable.

I see the guest additions are not available now.

Lane

steveh

Vbox Guest additions un-recommanded

Post by steveh »

Hi
I see the guest additions are not available now.
I forgot to say it in my first post, but i had also got bad experience with the Guest additions since maybe 6 months.

With the guest additions installed in Reactos 0.4trunk or 0.3.12branch, i was unable to increase the screen resolution.
Reactos systematically crashed whenever rebooted after having set the display to 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

I think it was not due to reactos trunk evolution but to some change in vbox from version to version, because i also tried at that time to use the original reactos release 0.3.11 with guest additions. It didn't work well either.

Without guest additions the reactos worked and works normally with those display resolutions.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I`m not sure what problem precisely are you referring to, there might be one or two fitting into your description. In such case always please contact us or file in a bug report. We cannot fix a problem if we dont know about it or that doesnt happen to us.