Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
acat1433
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 am

Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by acat1433 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by EmuandCo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm

nope. no desktop yet
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

acat1433
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 am

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by acat1433 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Is that meaning "all resource will turn to develop the ReactOS with AMD64 . We will give up X86 ."

Some comrades in our China said "It is the only way for ReactOS's winning to give up all old technology and to focus on new things."

Is that right?

Haos
Test Team
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 am
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by Haos » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Nope. Trunk is still aimed at x86.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:25 pm

if you want to leave your poorer comrades behind because they can't afford to get a 64-bit processor and you insist on moving forward with new technology, you're free to build it yourself.

unxed
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by unxed » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 pm

EmuandCo wrote:nope. no desktop yet
And what is the actual status? Does it builds completely? That stage can it boot to?


Haos
Test Team
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 am
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by Haos » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:14 pm

I wouldnt say it builds completely, some code was ifed out for amd64 building.

Smiley
Developer
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by Smiley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:45 pm

unxed wrote:
And what is the actual status? Does it builds completely? That stage can it boot to?
AMD64 can build fine now, however the kernel is still too buggy to boot. The main reason is that memory manager is still not fully ported

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Dont forget PSEH ;-)
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Smiley
Developer
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by Smiley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Dont forget PSEH ;-)
neither ARM had pseh when it failed trying to launch smss ;)

RaptorEmperor
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by RaptorEmperor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Lone_Rifle wrote:if you want to leave your poorer comrades behind because they can't afford to get a 64-bit processor and you insist on moving forward with new technology, you're free to build it yourself.
Agreed. Except for my main machine, which I won't run ReactOS on anytime soon, all my machines are still x86. In any case, AMD64 is built on top of x86, so it doesn't make sense not to implement x86 anyway, even if you could somehow avoid it. And this is ignoring the fact that x86 is still extremely (if not universally) common on the legacy machines many first-time users will probably run ReactOS on.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by EmuandCo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 am

Even if the stuff you say if 100% true, it wont help us to simply make both ports work. we have several Assembler parts still not working because you cant just use 32 bit Assembler on 64 bit.
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

mrugiero
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Is ReactOS living in AMD64 now? Just boot to desktop?

Post by mrugiero » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Even if the stuff you say if 100% true, it wont help us to simply make both ports work. we have several Assembler parts still not working because you cant just use 32 bit Assembler on 64 bit.
...and that someone who knows assembler must rewrite to make it work.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DotBot [Crawler], Google [Bot], MadWolf and 25 guests