Whats so awsome?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zenotten

Whats so awsome?

Post by Zenotten » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:55 am

yea I'm a PC gamer with good computer knowledge and I am wondering if i where to change from XP to this thing what would be different? I mean what's better about this than windows? Sorry if i sound like a noob but I have looked for features and info about this but i can't find anything.

BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:43 am

at the current time you would not want to change to ROS from XP. It lacks a lot of things right now as it is in alpha development and you could not play any modern games.

Elledan

Post by Elledan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:49 pm

The advantages of ReactOS are in the long-term, as it matures. Basically it'll offer an alternative to Windows (2k/XP/Longhorn) for running Windows-based applications on, possibly with enhancements, such as a version optimized for gaming.

loki1985

Post by loki1985 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:02 am

hell, it is FREE (in all the means).

Zenotten

Post by Zenotten » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:55 am

ok, that sounds really cool! I can't wait till it's at that stage! But is it legal to be doing this for free? lol I mean this sounds too good, being able to get a good operating system and still have all the features of windows without haveing to pay dumb microsoft? Would it eventualy have compadability with Linux language? Like that os that sun is working on, or is that even possible? lol

Elledan

Post by Elledan » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:02 am

Zenotten wrote:ok, that sounds really cool! I can't wait till it's at that stage! But is it legal to be doing this for free? lol I mean this sounds too good, being able to get a good operating system and still have all the features of windows without haveing to pay dumb microsoft?
It's perfectly legal to write code which mimics the functionality of an existing application. ROS is no different from, say, Samba, which has reverse engineered MSFT's SMB protocol (among other things) which is used for sharing files between Windows systems on a network.

The only things one can't do are a) look at the code of Windows and/or copy directly from it, b) let someone who has worked for MSFT and has seen the code do so much as touch a keyboard or suggest things to ROS's developers. Any of those things would make ROS's code 'tainted', and might result in a huge legal mess.
Would it eventualy have compadability with Linux language? Like that os that sun is working on, or is that even possible? lol
There are plans to have 'subsystems', which will be somewhat like Cygwin. It'll be possible to run many applications of other OSs, including but not limited to Linux, *BSD, BeOS, Amiga, etc. as long as the appropriate subsystem (usually in the form of one or more DLLs) is available.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Hi
You can play UT demo in ros (i do not if it work with current svn any longer it did work in 0.2.6 and later svn)

Games can working in reactos if you can run them with OpenGL as render, you will have keyboard and mouse working with directx, yes reactos got some part of directx implement. But no sound

Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Whats so awsome?

Post by Jaix » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:18 pm

Zenotten wrote:yea I'm a PC gamer with good computer knowledge and I am wondering if i where to change from XP to this thing what would be different? I mean what's better about this than windows? Sorry if i sound like a noob but I have looked for features and info about this but i can't find anything.
The really awesome things with ReactOS is that it is Open Windows, Open gates and No bills!