How safe and small the ROS Distro can be?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zydon

How safe and small the ROS Distro can be?

Post by zydon »

A compact distribution of the ROS is very interesting to have. It's pointing direct to the differences between releases and less confusion. Compact by the mean of the main core components that could sustain when user adding more applications into it. Not the slim down version of the OS. A truly clean ROS without any application lying around inside the system folders.

Probably, common supporting tools like notepad, mpalyer and any other tiny application used to be supplied together with Windows distribution should be packed into an add-on ROS application and can be downloaded if user want it. I think the core system developers shouldn't waste time on those tiny tools too. Let the applications developers dealt with it. Or at least those tools doesn't get mixed with essential system file when the distro being made. It always could be update outside ROS distro priorities.

I believe sooner or later someone will have variation supporting OS applications which is not the same from one user to another. What more important is the changes and updates the OS has made and what new thing has been added that user could test and bug finding.

What do you think guys?
Last edited by zydon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: How small the ROS Distro can be?

Post by vicmarcal »

Well, there are apps which are necessary to be bundled. Look at cmd.exe, it seems to be an add-on, but some apps wont work without it.
Currently there are quite few addon apps bundled as Paint,Notepad,Solitaire,Winemine,Spider .There aren't any other addon apps included so current trunk is almost what you want. These apps are quite small in size, so you wont notice a substantial benefict excluding them from ISO.

zydon

Re: How safe and small the ROS Distro can be?

Post by zydon »

Probably, it's not the size that really matter to me anymore. After years using MS-Windows, I just realized that any programs that could be executed in "system" directory is really annoyed me. These EXE, SCR, CMD and BAT shouldn't be allowed to run from "system32". Only DLL, CPL and probably OCX only that need to be loaded into system memory. So, they not executed by itself or using simple run and from explorer.

Those executable program, script and screensaver should be placed in an accessories sub-directory or in ReactOS main directory.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Try to imagine the compatibility hell with many apps by this setting.

swight

Post by swight »

I am in agreement with Haos on this. As a programmer I know that there are programs out there that would require being able to execute said applications. These programs would not know to look in another directory as by assuming the programs will only be run on windows the programers would feel confident that they could hard code the path to these files. Another thing is many of the applications in system32 are actually sub programs that are called by cmd.exe(the Command Prompt program). And cmd.exe is used by many programs to perform different tasks(I see it come up frequently during installations and it can also be run invisibly so it may be running and you would never know unless you knew where to look) and it would be difficult to guarantee which of the sub programs would never be called as even though the user may never call the programs directly, they could be called by a program they install or use.

The best I could see happen would be some sort of redirect but the net effect of this would be moving the files to another directory and not removing them.

Main exe's I think would be safe to remove might be the games.

zydon

Post by zydon »

You're right Hoas. Compatibility is big issue when the security increase to protect the system folder. My original concern is to monitor what executable file been placed in system32 during vulnerable moment while online. A certain irresponsible software installation also tend to place a tiny executable in system32 directory that users might think it was system program. Next they know certain weird process names started appeared in the process list.

Thanks Hoas and swight for the explanations. So, it's left a question from me, if I manually move these files to a custom sub-folder under ReactOS and include it's folder path into the system environment, would they still working properly?

swight

Post by swight »

Mostly only command line applications could still access it in that case(if path is hard coded definitely not unless some advanced redirection was used which would probably not be (easily)possible as a regular user). Windows programs could still do it but it is much much more rare for them to take the system path into account.