keep react os free from linux keep as NT much as possible

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

darren

keep react os free from linux keep as NT much as possible

Post by darren » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi

Those who say make it linux with wine... i say dont. We have that many types of linux on the maket. The only way to find an alternative to windows is to make something that rivals it. Image if this works, and some else takes the code and builds on it and gives it a name and then some else does the same. In time there would be many version of this o/s( like linux has ). Then image microsoft and all these nt based o/s that can run the same programs. Maybe react should also start on a office suite as well. React office professional. I would like to see the o/s as much NT as possible with all the application included like windows. I don't what to see it turn Linux or we wont get out of the windows rut.

I belive to win the public over it should have an interface like vista / win7. So the public can go from one to the other and feel comfortable.

Keep react os linux free

Haos
Test Team

Re: keep react os free from linux keep as NT much as possibl

Post by Haos » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:34 pm

No worries, ReactOS is pure NT, non-linux.

gyROS

Post by gyROS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:34 pm

darren wrote:Those who say make it linux with wine... i say dont.
Obviously you misunderstood something. I have not heard anyone say so.
There are however quite a lot of people who want to make it NT with wine. Me, too. (You know, the NT kernel from ReactOS and the well working and stable Win32 subsystem from wine, i.e. no Linux anywhere)
That's approximately what arwinss is and will be about. Remember: wine is in no way limited to Linux. It can be used on top of NT, too. Maybe that confused you.
darren wrote:React office professional
No need for it. The clone you suggest already exists. It's called OpenOffice.

manuel

Post by manuel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:42 pm

mmm and that has of bad the code source of linux? , if it is free and it can be used I believe that serious a waste not to do, sure, if it is compatible.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Looks like the conversation's getting a little confused.

ReactOS is based of of the Windows NT architecture. It's an open-source clone of Windows NT, similar to how Linux is an open-source clone of UNIX. If you're not familiar with Windows history, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME were all based off of MS-DOS. Windows NT was originally oriented towards business users up until Windows 2000, but all modern Windows operating systems since Windows XP (Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, etc.) are all based off the Windows NT line. Some new people get tripped up figuring out the difference between different versions of Windows, so I thought I'd make the distinction.

ReactOS is working towards making an open-source Windows clone. A Microsoft Office clone is outside the scope of ReactOS development, but as gyROS said, there's OpenOffice.Org, which is basically a really good open-source office suite that can read the most commonly used file formats, even the latest formats such as .docx from newer versions of Microsoft Office. It's multi-platform, too, which means it's available for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

There's been a lot of confusion about Arwinss. I was even a bit confused initially until I started digging up information.

Arwinss is an experimental branch of ReactOS, separate from the main branch you see available on the homepage. One of the big pieces of Windows is called the Win32 subsystem, and most programs rely on this in one way or another. The problem is that our current Win32 subsystem is big, somewhat clunky, and pretty much needs a rewrite to make it really workable again. ReactOS already uses a fair amount of code from the Wine project while keeping the basic architecture of the Win32 subsystem the same as that of Windows NT. In comparison to the main branch, Arwinss uses more of the structure of Wine's Win32 subsystem in order to use more of its components, so we have better compatibility in the near-term. A Win32 modeled after the Windows one would in theory give better compatibility than Wine's, but because our current Win32 is still rough around the edges and buggy, Wine is more compatible at the moment.

So far it seems that Arwinss is being considered as a temporary, stopgap solution until the current Win32 is fixed up and running properly, not as much a permanent solution. With a working, if imperfect Win32 via Arwinss, the developers can focus on developing other, more crucial components and rewrite a proper Win32 architecture later. Lastly, Arwinss doesn't fundamentally change ReactOS from a Windows NT operating system to a Linux one, it just changes how the bits and pieces of Win32 fit together.

There are other branches besides Arwinss that are attempting to address shortcomings of the Win32 subsystem as well, such as Yarotows. These different builds aren't official releases, and are more of a sandbox for developers to test new solutions without crippling the main branch everyone works off of. They aren't mutually exclusive, either. Apparently now there's talk that Yarotows will be merged into Arwinss when the opportunity arises: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 8e09918255

That's a lot to read, but hopefully it answers your questions.

*Fix: Had wrong link. My bad.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

I thought the "merge" in yarotows context is primarilly meant into trunk, not into arwinss :?:

//edit: typo.
Last edited by Black_Fox on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Both of them could profit from it, as driver loading on arwinss is still based on code from trunk. Arwinss did not come from nothing, albeit its relatively new approach.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm

The only src I can see being shared from linux is the Wine parts, and that isn't actually Linux related anyway.

The rest of ReactOS is pure C++ and NT (literally.)

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:29 pm

More like pure C with bits of C++ and ASM scattered here and there.