Last 6 months

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Last 6 months

Post by cmoibenlepro »

What are the developments since last release 6 months ago?

Please note I didn't ask for next release, I know it is "when it is done" based. But since much more time than usual lapsed since last release, can we expect super advanced new features?

gonzoMD

Re: Last 6 months

Post by gonzoMD »

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8153

Here everything is well explained and readable for users, not only developers

Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

cmoibenlepro wrote:But since much more time than usual lapsed since last release, can we expect super advanced new features?
No. But, probably, due to long delay next version (after 0.3.12) can be 0.4.0. Imagine: 6 month to develop version 0.3.12 + the same 6 months to implement version 0.4.0 (maybe, the beginning of 2011).

dark

Post by dark »

No, no new features really, the delay is supposed to be for fixing regressions. After about 30 bugs were fixed when it started, there doesn't seem to have been any more activity in fixing it. I think it would be a better idea to separate the regression fixing for multiple versions so the 2 to 3 month release cycle stays on track. ReactOS still has a long way to go before it's usable so I find version numbers meaningless and don't mind a 0.3.19 really.

Also, no I doubt 0.4 is on the horizon, the wiki has all the features that should have and it's a long way away for most of them.

Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

dark wrote:ReactOS still has a long way to go before it's usable so I find version numbers meaningless and don't mind a 0.3.19 really.
At least now Reactos is similar to the first release of Windows 95 (no USB support). In case you have not very modern hardware - Reactos is usable, but no warranty is included. :)
dark wrote:Also, no I doubt 0.4 is on the horizon, the wiki has all the features that should have and it's a long way away for most of them.
The number version "0.4.0" doesn't mean, that it will be like Windows XP or Vista or Seven. Just minimum working configuration.

dark

Post by dark »

Yaraslau wrote:
dark wrote:Also, no I doubt 0.4 is on the horizon, the wiki has all the features that should have and it's a long way away for most of them.
The number version "0.4.0" doesn't mean, that it will be like Windows XP or Vista or Seven. Just minimum working configuration.
Read Here: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.4.0 I don't believe we have usb keyboard and mouse support, and then those hacked file system drivers that would need to work on windows, etc... I imagine some of the goals will be ignored when 0.4 actually comes out.