ReactOS on Wine

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Re: ReactOS on Wine

Post by Aeneas »

@Emuandco - then that might be a "bug in the bug"? :)
ohault

Post by ohault »

AFIAK, the goal here, is to run the ReactOS Shell/Winstation/.... on "top" of Wine (running on Linux, MacOS, ...). It is not about running the ReactOS nt kernel on Wine.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I LOVE this. "Oh, it's been a decade, but hey, let's just pick up where we left!" 😆
bamm

Post by bamm »

Interesting thread. Is this possible now, 10 years later? I'm gonna try it out myself. :)
bamm

Post by bamm »

Just tried it out. Using ReactOS 0.4.13 and wine-stable 5.0.2.

Running "wine desktop.exe" (where desktop.exe is the ReactOS explorer.exe renamed to avoid filename conflict with Wine) resulted in a crash, even with notifyhook.dll copied over from ReactOS and made native as suggested in the original post. That's how different they are now.

However, the little utilities:

calc.exe, clipbrd.exe, cmd.exe, mspaint.exe, notepad.exe, regedit.exe, wordpad.exe

all run great under Wine. In fact, they are even better and felt more complete than the versions in Wine.

ReactOS Notepad feels more comfortable to use and seems closer to Windows Notepad than Wine Notepad. Calculator looks and feels like a perfect clone of WinXP Calculator, Paint tried to modernize the XP Paint, but I like the XP Paint better (oh and please make the "old" palette the default).

Overall, ReactOS seemed to have made greater progress in those little utilities than Wine did. Great work!
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

bamm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:22 am Running "wine desktop.exe" (where desktop.exe is the ReactOS explorer.exe renamed to avoid filename conflict with Wine) resulted in a crash, even with notifyhook.dll copied over from ReactOS and made native as suggested in the original post. That's how different they are now.
You obviously doing something wrong, check this out: https://chat.reactos.org/reactos/pl/ibx ... ei6nb4adjy
gyROS

Post by gyROS »

bamm wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:22 am Paint tried to modernize the XP Paint, but I like the XP Paint better (oh and please make the "old" palette the default).
ReactOS' version of Paint is modeled after Vista's version, i.e. the most recent iteration of the traditional Paint design.
The option to use the "old" palette is a deviation that I snuck in because Vista's Paint had already introduced the palette used in Windows 7.
The ability to resize the canvas on the top and left edge, too, is not faithful to the original, either, but unobtrusive.

(And this is officially my first post on this forum after a full decade! ... On the perfect thread for such a post.)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

gyROS wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:14 pm (And this is officially my first post on this forum after a full decade! ... On the perfect thread for such a post.)
Good to have you back.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Did 10 years pass? I am getting old :(
ohault

Post by ohault »

I guess the title of this discussion implicitly means "Running ReactOS 'user' components on Wine".

These components would come from the top 3 layers of https://reactos.org/architecture, keeping in mind this is only a model.

To share a clear view of what is already working or not, I would suggest to:
- complete the list of components on https://reactos.org/wiki/Category:ReactOS_Components,
- use existing or write scripts to test them on Wine both on Linux and Mac.
- share test results using tables like on http://test.winehq.org/data/