Planned ReactOS 0.2.7 Review

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Whisper

Planned ReactOS 0.2.7 Review

Post by Whisper »

Hey fellas, first post.

I've been watching the ReactOS forums for about a month or so now, but only just registered recently. Anyway- as I'm sure you are too, I'm very excited about the upcoming 0.2.7 release and so I was planning to do a review on it.

I was going to test using some old hardware I have laying about, using both the LiveCD and the normal install CD. The hardware I was going to use is as follows (more specific details will come as soon as I get back to Canberra on Wednesday, where the hardware physically *is*):

1)

Athlon XP 2200
512mb DDR RAM
800mb HDD (Just one of a few I have laying around)
ATI Radeon 9500 Non-Pro
Jetway Pheonix brand motherboard

2)

Pentium III 750
128mb SD-RAM
800mb HDD
NVidia GeForce 2 MX 440 64mb
Intel BX-chipset motherboard

In order to test ReactOS I would first write my thoughts about the operating system itself (stability, looks, speed, compadibility etc), then go on and review individual programs which I consider "essential" along with a few obscure ones just to really test things. Googling for 'ReactOS review' gives a myraid of mostly outdated reviews (IE ones claiming ReactOS still boots into command line, etc). Time to change that.

Planned software lineup is as follows:

Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Thunderbird
OpenOffice 1.1
NVidia 'Detonator' Windows Driver package
ATI 'Catalyst' Windows Driver package
3D Mark 2001
3D Mark 2002
Futuremark 2005
3D Studio Max (Version 5)
WinAMP
DosBOX
G-Mud
Media Player Classic
Ahead Nero
Microsoft Windows Update (just for kicks)

I might do a follow-up article when my spare 40gig hard-drive arrives, so that I can test some games (what we're all waiting for, I'm sure).

The ReactOS communities' feedback would be appreciated. Can you think of any other essential software which should be tested too? Suggestions about hardware?

The only problem I have is that I don't have anywhere to post the article when I'm done. :/ I might stick it up here on these forums, but that wouldn't be ideal (especially if it gets /.'d). Any ideas on that front?

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Good to hear your willing to take some time out and test some stuff, but quite alot of the programs you listed dont or wont work as desired. For instance:

- Firefox, Thunderbird, ATi Drivers wont work
- Winamp should run, but there are no sound drivers with reactos (its possible to get it working with other drivers)
- GMud is 16bit isnt it? :\ (16bit apps wont work)
- MPC wont work because there's no Direct* for ReactOS
- Windows update wont work because there no ActiveX
- OpenOffice 1.x _should_ work. The installer might not, but im pretty sure the program itself is fine. (not sure about v2 though)

You might want to head over to http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/compatibility.php or the wiki and check out what else has been tested.

That all said, 0.2.7 isnt here yet, so its probably worth testing them all again.

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

ScoTTie wrote: - OpenOffice 1.x _should_ work. The installer might not, but im pretty sure the program itself is fine. (not sure about v2 though)
OpenOffice 1 at least used to work, including installer. 2 will not work because of msi.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

Some of the software on your list won't run on ROS 0.27, also, there are some sites with and updated list of working software/drivers, you should look those first and see what is going on, and after that, try to run those programs that on earlier versions did start up, but still does not works well.

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

For what mag/website will you be writing this?
It compiles, let's ship it!

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

ScoTTie wrote:Good to hear your willing to take some time out and test some stuff, but quite alot of the programs you listed dont or wont work as desired.
I understand- the point of this exercise is to simply test these programs with the new version, providing screenshots, documented installation/testing procedures and as much test data as possible to the ReactOS community about the new version. I know many of the progams listed will not work, or may not work completely bug free, but I still don't think there's much harm in trying. If nothing else- it's a modern review, as opposed to all those old ones, and it'll help show the ReactOS developers that there is growing interest in the project and give a little ego prop too.
ScoTTie wrote:That all said, 0.2.7 isnt here yet, so its probably worth testing them all again.
That's my thinking.
baldomero wrote:there are some sites with and updated list of working software/drivers, you should look those first and see what is going on, and after that, try to run those programs that on earlier versions did start up, but still does not works well.
The problem is that I do not have access to all of the software mentioned in those articles (IE; Jazz Jackrabbit II). However, I'll take that on board and attempt to run as many programs as I can find (read; disks I can find laying around my house).
mf wrote:For what mag/website will you be writing this?
None. My target audience is threefold; ReactOS users (if there *are* any), ReactOS developers and the general public. If nothing else, it will give you all something interesting to read on these forums and (hopefully) provide some helpful feedback about what else needs to be done.

Elledan

Re: Planned ReactOS 0.2.7 Review

Post by Elledan »

Whisper wrote: The only problem I have is that I don't have anywhere to post the article when I'm done. :/ I might stick it up here on these forums, but that wouldn't be ideal (especially if it gets /.'d). Any ideas on that front?
How about placing it in the ROS Wiki?

Whisper

Re: Planned ReactOS 0.2.7 Review

Post by Whisper »

Elledan wrote:How about placing it in the ROS Wiki?
Not a bad idea- I might do that.

chris319

Post by chris319 »

stability, looks, speed, compadibility
Compatibility

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Are you south side or north side of Canberra?
Also, could you test other smaller software, things that test set small things. Not just complete packages?