Dual Boot?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

calavier62

Dual Boot?

Post by calavier62 »

Hi, I just discovered ReactOS last night, and I've tried it out, and I'm really eager to install it, but before I got my hopes and dreams up too high, I just wanted to check that It could support multi-partitions, and (this part is optional) have a boot loader compatible with Linux. I'm planning on installing 0.3.11

Any answers (even those that don't satisfy me) will be great
Thanks, Camden

swight

Re: Dual Boot?

Post by swight »

If it is possible it is a very recent thing. I did notice a commit a while ago that looked like it was saying that it made it possible to install on another partition than the first. If you try it, definitely use the latest trunk build and not the 3.11 release(which not not include the commit to which I refer). Someone else may know more specifically weather or not this is possible.

Edit:Just remembered that the dual boot might have been possible for a while with the restriction that ReactOS be installed on the very first partition. The above may have removed that restriction. I have seen things in bugzilla that there may be issues with some of the common bootloaders. So may have to wait for that to be resolved(I forgot what the exact issue was so it may be nothing).

calavier62

Post by calavier62 »

Thanks :) I'll try the latest trunk-build, and if that doesn't work, I can wipe my hd, and install ReactOS as the first partition and than re-install Linux.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

FrontPage wrote:"Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.11 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use."
Be sure that you read this phrase before you put ROS on a production system...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.