RosBE and MSBuild

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

b4dc0d3r

RosBE and MSBuild

Post by b4dc0d3r »

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163589.aspx

If I understand this correctly, then RosBE should be able to make build files which will compile using .NET framework. I won't want to start an argument about the legal issues and what's allowed, for now let's assume that everyone has a license to download and install.NET 2.0 framework because I'll address that later.

MSBuild ships with .NET 2, so you don't even have to download the free version of MSVS. MSBuild compiles the targets using the project files, which are the same as for MSVS. Example:

msbuild.exe WindowsApplication1.csproj /t:Build

So, RosBE can simply output project files for MSVS, and anyone with .NET 2.0 can compile it. I see some references to msbuild in RosBE, but I wasn't sure if that was specific support for msbuild or a common intermediary for all of the MSVS 7+ projects. If Mono implements msbuild, then we would have MSVS support for those who want it, and full freedom who prefer that.

And, it looks like xbuild (the mono implementation) is working, complete: http://www.mono-project.com/Microsoft.Build

So good news for everyone, no?

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: RosBE and MSBuild

Post by EmuandCo »

uuuuh... we don't use ANY .net anywhere in ROS. Nor in the base System, neither in RosBE. You can generate MSVC Build files, yes, but this is a stupid text file, nothing more. Did I get something wrong? What do you mean?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

swight

Post by swight »

I have managed to get ReactOS to load NOT build on Visual Studio Express C++ 2008 with minimal errors. To do this I had to write a utility to fix the solution file. You can find the utility in this thread if it hasn't been fixed in Rbuild yethttp://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8150. It does require the solution files generated from RosBe to work.

More work has to happen before building can occur. By the way just because Visual Studio is used to load it does not make .Net a requirement for the result of the build. Even though this is limited to C and C++.

b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

In MSVS 2010, msbuild replaces vcbuild. So maybe what I meant to say was xbuild and msbuild could be viable replacements for RosBE, in the event that batch drives the current maintainer completely mad as a hatter. When xbuild is ready RosBE can create the initial project files and the conversion happens simply. If xbuild is up to the task it should just work, and people preferring to stay with RosBE to build the msbuild/xbuild files would have that option. In fact it could control msbuild instead of the tools directly. Since there would be little difference between the MSVS solution files and MSVS 2010 msbuild files, which is of course based on the above premise of me having read that correctly, which is starting to seem like shaky ground.

I'm not entirely sure, maybe I should count my meds to see if I've taken too many or too little. Either way, msbuild is fascinating at the moment and I figured I'd think out loud, so to type, for a bit.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Ah, now I understand, sounds nice. RBuild sucks anyway... But as it seems xbuild uses GCC, too so we will have to keep RosBE.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.