Strange thing while ARWINSS installation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Re: Strange thing while ARWINSS installation

Post by Aeneas » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Well, such a suit for anticompetitive behaviour is not entirely for free, either (though the European Commission may itself initiate it following a third party complaint) - because you may need to supply proof, expertises etc., i.e., legal support costs. With other words, I do not believe that it is an all too good idea if everyone would lead his OWN lawsuit. - That is why I believe "sticking to Wine" is a good idea ALSO for eventual allegations as to anticompetitive behaviour - you would help creating a "standard", so that MS cannot actually easily state technical reasons for an incompatibility. If you have "one giant" demanding interoperability information that is one thing; "seven dwarves", on the other hand, would not be taken seriously.

Otherwise, if I were MS, I would say, "Well, Wine is whining, so is ReactOS, Humpty-Dumpty project X etc., each with its own approach; we are merely protecting the correct operation of our software, as these micro-projects cannot assure performance of our products according to our customers' expectations, thus potentially damaging our reputation in our customers' eyes."

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Strange thing while ARWINSS installation

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Aeneas wrote: Otherwise, if I were MS, I would say, "Well, Wine is whining, so is ReactOS, Humpty-Dumpty project X etc., each with its own approach; we are merely protecting the correct operation of our software, as these micro-projects cannot assure performance of our products according to our customers' expectations, thus potentially damaging our reputation in our customers' eyes."
The thing is that they can not protect the correct operation of their software using illegal ways. As EULA from Office(other MS apps says) Microsoft is not responsible of any damage/lose data created by the app( "washing hands") so why is now worried when the app is run in other Win32 OSes?Isnt the same Eula applied?.
Maybe they can state, via MessageBox, (when running a MS app) that the app is designed for Windows and not ReactOS/Wine but nothing more, preventing to run (when maybe Wine is perfectly able to run the MS app if the check does not exist) is clearly violating law.

But now we have moved completly to offtopic, so maybe an admin can move this to another topic :)