Newb here, is something wrong with the forum?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jro

Newb here, is something wrong with the forum?

Post by jro »

Well this is my first post here, I tried to reply to "newbie questions" thread but got punted back to the forum index. Might be a bug? :shock:

Anyway I guess I'll introduce myself. I'm a programmer of >7 years. Most of my hacking is done in C/C++/Lua and mostly graphics (OpenGL, DirectX, SDL) on Win and Linux using GNU tools and Mingw. I have yet to finish a project of my own. I planned to make games but now I'm not so sure.
So I stumbled on this fine project and wanted to see if I can help. I haven't tried this yet but it's a great idea. If this takes off it can really make waves, so long as Microsoft doesn't sue (anyone been contacted by them?). Two main problems of making an OS are lacking driver and software support. This has a chance to get around both issues. In any case I may pop in here to see if there's anything I can help with, but maybe not too often.

oiaohm

Most likely not a bug.

Post by oiaohm »

Had you posted anywhere else first or login and done anything else.

It just the way this site works you post you have a cooling off time before you can post again. Of course you can beat this log out and log back in.

Microsoft is not giving this project and trouble at this time they would have more than just this project to attack and it would be one heck of a fight. Take on this could be classed as not wanting competion. As long as no one copies windows code into this project(if you have access to Microsoft Windows source code you should not be in the project). Reading header files and documentation does not count.

jro

Post by jro »

Hi no I logged on and tried to reply to a post, but each time I was returned to the index. It happened again during my visit here, right when I clicked "post" it acted like I hit the back button. I was able to post elsewhere, so maybe it was some time based anti spambot thing. (I'm on Firefox if that matters.)

That's good MS isn't complaining. If there were any project they'de attack I'd think this would be it, well this or Wine.

Alright, I'm off to start playing with this for the first time... :D

Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I recommend you to check out the IRC channel #reactos at freenode if you want to speak with current devs.

oiaohm

It is not firefox as such.

Post by oiaohm »

Note I only login when I press the post button.

I am running firefox with adblock and not having problems. Fully updated.
Now start you firefox with the -p flag. Create a new profile(I hope you did not install your extentions for all users). This will alown you to bypass your current profile and all your extentions in profile and allow you to find out if one of them is causing you the problem. Lets rule out a browser extention problem heck I had some nasty ones the bank I deal with would not let me in with one installed.

I think microsoft will leave this alown. Attack this could bring a conter attack Wine, WineX, Codeweavers, Captivefs(uses the reactos kernel)...IBM(sections of Wine code comes from there). A real cat fight would follow. More and more distros are shiping with Captivefs or Wine so you would have them too basicly a all out war. Maybe another department of justise ruling against them. It could be really funning. 10000 lawers each repsenting a differnet party where would you find a court house and how long to get threw opening arguements maybe a year.

Problem sco tryied to bluff linux as most companys do to each other and found out Linux supporters will call the bluff.

jro

Post by jro »

Harteex wrote:check out the IRC channel #reactos at freenode if you want to speak with current devs.
Hmm well I don't feel qualified seeing how I just got here. I'm not too big on IRC either. I'm just checking out the sources now and thinking about installing on my spare partition so I can test some programs.

True I don't see MS going to war with open source and I agree it would look bad for their image.