Very Nice but i have a few question

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cswells

Very Nice but i have a few question

Post by cswells » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Will ReactOS support ext4 and other formats?
Will ReactOS work with DirectX?

And i have installed ReactOS via Vbox, it seems a little slow and slugish, is this just because i have it running under a VM or is it like this when installed on a regular machine?

Other than those questions. GL and keep up the good work.

livestrong2109

Re: Very Nice but i have a few question

Post by livestrong2109 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 pm

1. Possibly at some point
2. It does now, though ReactX will likely do a better job at some point
3. ReactOS is actually very fast on real hardware as it's quite light
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 pm

I second. On real hardware, it is actually ridiculously fast. The problem are just the drivers, as they are not bundled in the way Windows has them. (I.e., you will have to search for them yourself, and so far there is no guarantee that they will work.)

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 pm

ReactOS will support ext3 and other file systems. ReactOS uses FAT32 right now, but NTFS is the long-term focus right now since it's the native filesystem for Windows NT. If I remember correctly, the interface that ReactOS uses to interact with filesystems is basically hacked together, so it needs to be reimplemented for it to work as it's supposed to (i.e., as Windows does it), even for FAT32. I think I remember hearing on the mailing lists or something about if the interface were fixed then ext2 could be implemented rather quickly. I'd have to double-check to be sure.

The End User LIcense Agreement that Microsoft forces you to agree with when installing DirectX forbids you from installing it on a non-Windows machine. Thus, it is impossible to install DirectX on ReactOS without violating the terms of the EULA and breaking the law. Currently, ReactOS handles DirectX by translating DirectX calls to OpenGL calls. This isn't very efficient, though, and there is a planned replacement for DirectX called ReactX, though I'm not sure if anyone is currently working on it.

Regarding VirtualBox, my ReactOS virtual machines seem to work just fine. Maybe you should check your virtual machine settings, like RAM and such.

I get pretty good performance with ReactOS when running it on real hardware. It runs as fast as Windows does, if not faster, to my experience. The only issue is that you're at the mercy of your drivers. ReactOS doesn't come packaged with a ton of drivers like Windows does, so it's up to you to supply them. Even still, my test hardware runs just fine even using the default ReactOS drivers. My old testbed is running something like 0.3.8 (I haven't had the time or space to update to a newer version), so if there have been any regressions on real hardware I wouldn't know. Don't expect ReactOS to run on cutting-edge hardware, but my old Celeron (Pentium III-based) machine works just fine with ReactOS.

bc1_

Post by bc1_ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 pm

I think I remember hearing on the mailing lists or something about if the interface were fixed then ext2 could be implemented rather quickly. I'd have to double-check to be sure.
ext3 already works in arty-newcc branch but it isn't ready to be merged to trunk right now.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:36 am

bc1_ wrote:
I think I remember hearing on the mailing lists or something about if the interface were fixed then ext2 could be implemented rather quickly. I'd have to double-check to be sure.
ext3 already works in arty-newcc branch but it isn't ready to be merged to trunk right now.
Cool. Thanks for correcting me. :D

JPLR

Post by JPLR » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:53 pm

* Mmmm Ext2Fsd reads Ext3 because it's the same as reading Ext2 if the journal is not played.
Ext2Fsd can't read the Ext3 journal which is the main feature distinguishing Ext2 from Ext3.
So Ext2Fsd is not an Ext3 filesystem and didn't claimed it.
Is there special extensions on Reactos import of Ext2Fsd that makes it Ext3 compliant (reading and writing the journal)?

* Ext2Fsd as Uniata can run out of the box on Windows, there is no need for special triming on the source code.