Latest Arwinss ISO's

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Regarding merging Arwinss into the trunk, it was said this will happen once bugs and stuff are ironed out.

Now... is this something that'd be soon enough to be used in 0.3.12 or 0.3.13, or are we talking about Duke Nukem Forever-length development time?

Basically I'm trying to judge if I should hold off until an official release until I test a ton of apps again, since I'll probably record footage and take sceenshots to share with various communities on these interwebs (like when I discovered Katawa Shoujo Act 1 v1 worked on 0.3.10, I made a post on their user forum and blog)

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:...is this something that'd be soon enough to be used in 0.3.12 or 0.3.13, or are we talking about Duke Nukem Forever-length development time?
Basically I'm trying to judge if I should hold off until an official release until I test a ton of apps again
It won't happen for 0.3.12, pretty improbable for 0.3.13. You can still test and record when you notice nice improvements...

Nintendo Maniac 64

The main thing is that I don't want to get people interested into a version of ReactOS that isn't even official, and then they might be all "WTF man" if it doesn't work via official-builds.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:The main thing is that I don't want to get people interested into a version of ReactOS that isn't even official, and then they might be all "WTF man" if it doesn't work via official-builds.
Arwinss is a branch, and is official, it's just not built automatically.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Ahh, err... well, I guess that's better, but using a non-main branch still wouldn't exactly be optimal for people that probably don't even really know about ReactOS...

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Ahh, err... well, I guess that's better, but using a non-main branch still wouldn't exactly be optimal for people that probably don't even really know about ReactOS...
Until it gets better than trunk it will remain like this. ;)

mhungerford

Post by mhungerford »

Version 46778 - Something seems like it broke. I dont have the start menu(bar), and the command prompt doesn't have a window border. Explorer still works though. Fresh install, only exotic option was resolution 800x600-32 (instead of 16 bit).

Also, 1024x768 doesn't fill the screen, and hasn't in the other 2 releases. It does work correctly in the non-arwinss reactos.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

mhungerford wrote:I dont have the start menu(bar), and the command prompt doesn't have a window border. Also, 1024x768 doesn't fill the screen, and hasn't in the other 2 releases. It does work correctly in the non-arwinss reactos.
Yes these are known issues, they will be fixed in future revisions.

wildschwein

Some impressions from ARWINSS46778

Post by wildschwein »

Some impressions from ARWINSS46778, i know that some guys like to read some news...

my impression: menus are faster than 45997. moving windows, resizing windows is much better, but still not 100%. The handling is coming nearer and nearer to a real "windows feeling" but it's still a big step.

Interessting: moving a window is correct in 90% of cases, if you DON'T touch a border ! If you do so, destop is again full of "graphic-rubbish". If windows are overlapping (e.g. about windows) graphic is also destroying desktop.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-242 ... 8.pdf.html

Nintendo Maniac 64

Um... I'm not supposed to be getting a black screen after the Freeloader screen, right?

I'm using VirtualBox 3.1.2 r56127 and the default settings from the preloaded 0.3.11 VirtualBox image, except it boots the ARWINSS 46778 ISO instead.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Um... I'm not supposed to be getting a black screen after the Freeloader screen, right?
Nope, have a debug log? I've just updated to the latest iso btw.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Nintendo Mania 64: Try to install Arwinss a second time. Install it over the old one. (Format existing virtual harddisc). In my vbox I often must install Reactos (and ROS-Arwinss) releases two times to make them work.
Strange thing, perhaps this error exists due to uniata-problems - only a theory.

mhungerford

Post by mhungerford »

After about 1 minute of file exploring ArwinSS crashes (in virtualbox). No guest additions, extremely reproducible, seems to trigger most often with right-click actions (properties...).

Also, any way to disable multiple desktops until the desktop-in-focus bug goes away (having to toggle desktops to get windows back into focus).

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

mhungerford wrote:After about 1 minute of file exploring ArwinSS crashes (in virtualbox). No guest additions, extremely reproducible, seems to trigger most often with right-click actions (properties...).

Also, any way to disable multiple desktops until the desktop-in-focus bug goes away (having to toggle desktops to get windows back into focus).
Sorry I couldn't replicate it, we'd need a debug log (see my signature for info). The virtual desktops aren't the cause of the "dekstop-in-focus", removing them will make things worse as they rather help you see the invisible windows when you "lose" them, if you only had one there wouldn't be a way to make them visible again.

Nintendo Maniac 64

wildschwein wrote:Nintendo Mania 64: Try to install Arwinss a second time. Install it over the old one.
Um, when I said freeloader, I meant when it's just booting from the ISO. I didn't even get to the installer.