Page 5 of 30

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:28 pm
by hto
vicmarcal wrote: Arwinss is not a spin off but […]
a sub-project.
For that you will have to create a new project and it will be a bad PR.
No more then ReactOS Calculator.

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:20 pm
by vicmarcal
Hto:
Nowadays there is some "unlove" to Arwinss from some devs inside ReactOS, and the idea of integrating Arwinss in ReactOS could lead to some angryness. Making a new Project in Sourceforge called Arwinss will increase the idea of separatism,and i think, the angryness.
Arwinss is a subproject as usb is.
ReactOS calculator is a nice way of PR, imo i would release any of our created apps or drivers as a project inside Sourceforge, beginning with Calculator, then Spider Solitaire, USB drivers(when accomplished),our CMD,etc... of course always saying they are part of ReactOS. This will give us extra PR, also people could help improving ReactOS by improving these apps.

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm
by unxed
vicmarcal wrote: ReactOS calculator is a nice way of PR, imo i would release any of our created apps or drivers as a project inside Sourceforge, beginning with Calculator, then Spider Solitaire, USB drivers(when accomplished),our CMD,etc... of course always saying they are part of ReactOS. This will give us extra PR, also people could help improving ReactOS by improving these apps.
Very, very, very, very good idea.
imo, first thing to publish is ROS App manager.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:07 pm
by hto
[…] could lead to some angryness.
Why it should be so?

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:15 am
by sh4ring4n
Can we add it to the default build? That would be nice 8-)

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm
by gonzoMD
sh4ring4n wrote:Can we add it to the default build? That would be nice 8-)
Not at the Moment it has to become more mature

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 pm
by livestrong2109
Agreed, while Arwinss offers greater compatibility, its not quite ready for trunk. Additionally there are still many developers who either see Arwinss as a distraction and prefer the original subsystem continue to be developed, while others would prefer we just start focus on a fresh NT complaint Sub system.

So yes it will eventually end up in trunk, but just give it time for bug fixes, and merger with other project branches. Then we need to put it under testing.

Be patient!

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:31 am
by cmoibenlepro
Does Arwinss make it possible to run Word or Excel? MS Office can run under Wine, so does it work? If not what is missing?

I plan to try it soon, but I wanted to know if others already tested it.

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:52 pm
by gabrielilardi
cmoibenlepro wrote:Does Arwinss make it possible to run Word or Excel?
Only Powerpoint kind of works atm.

Word 2003:
[ external image ]

PP2003:
[ external image ]

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:16 pm
by Aeneas
As to some of the above postings, about publishing parts of ReactOS, I must say...

... WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!

Seriously - you could thereby create some kind of influence as brand names have. E.g., when you think about "Mozilla", your mind is immediately directed towards rather impressive internet tools, albeit a bit old... ReactOS as a whole might be a bit elusive, but showing the PARTS of ReactOS will immediately draw attention!

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:49 pm
by vicmarcal
Aeneas wrote:As to some of the above postings, about publishing parts of ReactOS, I must say...

... WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!

Seriously - you could thereby create some kind of influence as brand names have. E.g., when you think about "Mozilla", your mind is immediately directed towards rather impressive internet tools, albeit a bit old... ReactOS as a whole might be a bit elusive, but showing the PARTS of ReactOS will immediately draw attention!
Thanx :oops:

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:13 pm
by cmoibenlepro
Only Powerpoint kind of works atm.
I thought that using Wine, all software working on Wine would then work on Reactos, isn't it?

Does Word use kernel-level stuff? :?:

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm
by gabrielilardi
cmoibenlepro wrote:I thought that using Wine, all software working on Wine would then work on Reactos, isn't it?
Does Word use kernel-level stuff? :?:
Arwinss uses almost unmodified Wine code, now Wine needs to recreate a windows system to be able to run applications, some parts of this re-creation work as native (DLLs i.e.) others must interface with Linux and this clearly doesn't happen in Windows, Arwinss replaces the call chain and plugs in the ReactOS counterparts, some parts of arwinss are still unimplemented and even if everything inside the call chain was implemented there will probably be some stuff still unimplemented or not correctly implemented elsewhere, so answering your question, replacing current win32k (using arwinss) won't make automagically work every app that works in Wine, there's still some amount that relies on the previously mentioned functionality, and those will have to wait for that to be fixed.

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:53 pm
by Z98
Correction, ARWINSS is replacing major components of the user mode side of Win32. Win32k refers to the kernel mode side of the subsystem and is not being replaced.

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:11 pm
by gabrielilardi
Z98 wrote:Correction, ARWINSS is replacing major components of the user mode side of Win32. Win32k refers to the kernel mode side of the subsystem and is not being replaced.
This is not entirely correct, let me explain from what I understood some time ago from a chat with Aleksey:
Regarding win32k, in Arwinss, ReactOS and Windows itself, it consists of a few kernel mode counterparts. Now arwinss uses ("ported" from ros), some Win32 kernel-managing code (creating/destroying win32 processes, thread data and stuff like that), a USER server implementation and a graphics engine. So arwinss replaces the USER server with routines ported from wineserver, and it implements its own version of the graphics engine (mostly grabbed from trunk, but slightly adapted for the occasion). So in conclusion we cannot say that win32k from trunk and arwinss are the same, they implement the same things though but in a different way.
Regarding also the compatibility issues I've stated before, the most important thing I missed there is that problems lie on kernel32, advapi32 and the underlying ntdll/kernel services.