Latest Arwinss ISO's

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

greenie

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by greenie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 am

I downloaded it. It eventually installed after 3 attempts. Which seems a bit strange.
What worked seemed to work well. Though I never actually managed to get to the shut down button because in my exploration I would eventually get a blue screen of death. Though I was installing every app I could think of. I should learn to get some debug information and try and help.

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm working on developing the memory corruption detector (heap corruptions seems to be a real problem now), so there will be no new arwinss ISO for a few days. Once this work is done, it should greatly contribute to the overall system stability.

Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:02 pm

fireball wrote:I'm working on developing the memory corruption detector (heap corruptions seems to be a real problem now), so there will be no new arwinss ISO for a few days. Once this work is done, it should greatly contribute to the overall system stability.
you also forgot to mention that we are busy with the release ad well ;)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:14 pm

I thought we already had a heap corruption detector!?

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am

Z98 wrote:I thought we already had a heap corruption detector!?
After switching to the new heap, there is a heap corruption detector, but it works post-factum, only after the respective block is freed its patterns are checked and if they are damaged the block is reported. It may be so that block's patterns are untouched, but internal heap structures are damaged.

Debug page heap (DPH) comes to solve this problem, [simply speaking] it guards every block with a no-access page either after or before the block, so that when a badly written app wants to write beyond the allowed area, an exception occurs showing exactly the faulty instruction.
Not so simply speaking, it's quite complicated debugging tool with abilities to catch access-after-free cases also when they happen, and do some other nice tricks too. If you want to read more about it, look for "debug page heap" in MSDN and also visit URLs specified as references in rtl/heappage.c
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

so, after reading this, i assume DPH is in code just for debugging purposes, and will be disabled/removed when heap is stable?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 am

Umm no, it's a feature that is exposed to applications, meaning anyone who codes their app to use it can. It is most often used as a testing mechanism, but is basically a service the OS can provide with respect to memory management.

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Arwinss Under Qemu Manager 7 acting as host to guest Reactos test branch 3.13 under Qemu 7... :lol: Arwinss its very very stable... :ugeek:

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 pm

sorry forgot to place pic before posting the last post

here is Arwinss running Reactos tester branch 3.13 you can see FireFox 4 bet wich works on tester but not on Arwins... :x

Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Big news are coming! Please stay tuned!

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:26 pm

No.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Jedi-to-be wrote:Big news are coming! Please stay tuned!
Whats your reference for this claim?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

wojo664

Post by wojo664 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Jedi-to-be wrote:Big news are coming! Please stay tuned!
Lone_Rifle wrote:No.

:lol:

reactosfan

Post by reactosfan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 am

Yes, the big NEWs is on Canonical - 11.04 comes with the super patches kernel - or what do you like to tell US (companies)?

Do you want me to skip the animalized Linus and jump directly into the Fukushima OS?

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :!: :?: :!: :?:

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Hey,
while I'm busy with rewriting some core parts of NTDLL (namely the Loader, based on old Alex patches + research), I thought that for further arwinss development some rebranding would really be necessary.

I read about possible names you were proposing here, maybe we could do some kind of contest? Personally, I like PortWine, because it actually reflects technical point of view (Wine code ported to NT platform), and is a nice wordplay around alcoholic beverages (as Wine is).

Along with that, are there any designers, who could create a stylish logo out of that, so that it would be possible to put some "Powered by PortWine" onto explorer background as part of the rebranding?
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead