Latest Arwinss ISO's

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by Aeneas »

Vicmarcal, do not not judge too hastily - try this:

Unplug all sources of electricity, including the battery.

Unplug all USB devices, including webcams etc. (I once had my webcam for unknown reasons pretending to be a disk and thus confusing the machine.)

Remove the RAM and put back in only one chip of the two... or some different RAM chip, if you have any available. (Somehow, my machine tries to "reconfigure" itself on BIOS level when the RAM is really changed.)

Remove the wireless chip. (I have a particularly crazy Atheros one... yes, that can influence booting, too, as for some reason, it interacts with the graphics card.)

Unplug the disk and then, after a few minutes, plug it back in. (Had that last Tuesday.)

Try to reboot, and variations of this.

If you can get into the BIOS, change the amount of memory available to the graphics card (that, too, has helped me).

I have had pretty much the same problems like you, and such operations have saved me a number of times already. Good luck.

mhungerford

Post by mhungerford »

The newest one works on virtualbox, barring installing the guest additions, with the trick below.

During bootup, keep your mouse in the window, and just constantly move it. You only have to get past the bootup once, then you don't have to do this trick again.

I tried maybe 10 reinstalls, and found this to be pretty reliable.

Otherwise, you get the "Enableusermodepnpmanage() Failed, rebooting now" message.

pajuelo

Post by pajuelo »

That doesn't work to me...

igorko

Post by igorko »

There are two RANDOM bugs that prevent arwinss installing in VBox atm. First one is PNP UserMode or something like this. But it happens only while installing and you must reboot and try again. After seccessfull setup it works fine. Second bug(if it happens for you) happens almost every time and prevents arwinss from installing and working(it's crash during boot on 2d stage). Don't bother yourself with reboot- it is very nice reproducable :) so arwinss will not boot.
I have an idea why those bugs appear- seems related to old win32k code. I hope Alexey updates it as fast as he can and there will be no problems with setup in VBox.

unxed

Post by unxed »

igorko wrote:There are two RANDOM bugs that prevent arwinss installing in VBox atm. First one is PNP UserMode or something like this. But it happens only while installing and you must reboot and try again. After seccessfull setup it works fine.
I see the same bug on QEMU, so it seems not to be vbox-related only.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

unxed wrote:
igorko wrote:There are two RANDOM bugs that prevent arwinss installing in VBox atm. First one is PNP UserMode or something like this. But it happens only while installing and you must reboot and try again. After seccessfull setup it works fine.
I see the same bug on QEMU, so it seems not to be vbox-related only.
Fireball seems to have fixed these bugs. They are ntskrnl bugs so they are present in ReactOS trunk too but maybe not exposed in VBOX (maybe some real hardware didnt run because of them?).
I hope soon he will upload an Arwinss ISO with these problems fixed.
BTW, Vbox 4 is out and full of new features. :)

igorko

Post by igorko »

Trying latest arwinss in latest trunk(50111)- crash is really fixed(if you noticed it was commit 50107). But EnableUserPnPManager is still present. It rarely happens in trunk but in arwinss it happens more often(as for me i can't install system because it). If you also can't install it and don't want to wait for new build just install trunk and replace arwinss related files from latest arwinss build.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

The Pnp error is under study, seems they have some clues about it :)

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

I just uploaded a new Arwinss ISO, which is 50168 modified trunk with a Wine-1.3.10 based Arwinss modules. Besides minor improvements, there are two major problems fixed:
1. Arwinss finally works again in VirtualBox. I think Gabriel is gonna have a nostaljie feeling, because it was a problem he experienced first and I never could get to fix it. It really took a massive amount of time to figure out what's wrong, it was a problem in the kernel which is now eliminated.
2. Some of the redrawing problems are fixed. However, I plan a more radical solution to fix ALL (well, most of the still remaining) redrawing problems in Arwinss so it produces a crystal-clear desktop all the time. How it's going to be done will stay secret until my experiments are ready.

The ISO is accessible from sf.net as usual. Thanks for testing!
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead

unxed

Post by unxed »

fireball wrote:I just uploaded a new Arwinss ISO, which is 50168 modified trunk with a Wine-1.3.10 based Arwinss modules. Besides minor improvements, there are two major problems fixed:
1. Arwinss finally works again in VirtualBox. I think Gabriel is gonna have a nostaljie feeling, because it was a problem he experienced first and I never could get to fix it. It really took a massive amount of time to figure out what's wrong, it was a problem in the kernel which is now eliminated.
2. Some of the redrawing problems are fixed. However, I plan a more radical solution to fix ALL (well, most of the still remaining) redrawing problems in Arwinss so it produces a crystal-clear desktop all the time. How it's going to be done will stay secret until my experiments are ready.

The ISO is accessible from sf.net as usual. Thanks for testing!
Good news everyone: much less random crashes in this ISO!
But "Enableusermodepnpmanage() Failed" still appears sometimes on QEMU.

Drawing-releated bugs 5204, 5212, 5225, 5323, 5232, 5496 are still here.
As for bug 5207, in this release apps are minimized to desktop and to taskbar at the same time.

Awaiting for new redrawing fix.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Great job fireball, keep it up! ;)

zed260

Post by zed260 »

secrets are no fun come on tell use

anyway goodjob

vicmarcal