Latest Arwinss ISO's

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wojo664

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by wojo664 »

Yes!!! :D

EDIT
EnableUserModePnpManager ()failed still exist....

(CreateFileW() failed for pipe \\.\pipe\net\NtControlPipe3 (Error 3)) :(
Last edited by wojo664 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Happy Birthday Aleksey and a big thanks for the new release.

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

As you already guessed, the new ISO is uploaded to sf.net and awaits your testing.

Changelog:
- Kernel mapping is moved to usermode (performance improvement).
- Stock objects handling also moved to usermode (less "trying to map unknown handle" problems, but still exist).
- Massive window management and DC changes, which eliminate incorrect clipping, incorrect visibility calculation. On screen drawing became more clear.
- Eliminate unnecessary whole screen redrawing in some cases (performance improvement).
- Fix some misc things like freed data usage (more stability, less crashes).
- Fix windows maximizing, now taskbar height is taken into account (proper window maximizing, proper scrolling too).
- Fix windows minimizing too, now they are properly hidden, and top level windows are not minimized to an icon on the desktop anymore.
- Fix window restoring by pushing a taskbar button, as it was supposed to work.
- Use oher, windows-compatible way to draw a focus rectangle (fixes strange violet lines instead of a e.g. selection rect).

These changes were brought not only by me, but thanks to smiley_ and Drazic too!

Enjoy, I'm off to enjoy my birthday party soon too, thanks for your congratulations!
Aleksey Bragin,
ReactOS Project Lead

unxed

Post by unxed »

fireball wrote:- Kernel mapping is moved to usermode (performance improvement).
- Eliminate unnecessary whole screen redrawing in some cases (performance improvement).
As for me, performance improvement is really noticable! Never had I ever seen reactos GUI working so fast.
fireball wrote:- Fix some misc things like freed data usage (more stability, less crashes).
Yep, much less "random" crashes. But some new "stable" crashes introduced. I will publish bt logs as soon as I have enought time (not sure if those are arwinss-related crashes or not).

pajuelo

Post by pajuelo »

The pnp error is still present in this ISO

sh4ring4n

Post by sh4ring4n »

Happy Birthday!!! :D
The cake is a lie!

Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

unxed wrote: Yep, much less "random" crashes. But some new "stable" crashes introduced. I will publish bt logs as soon as I have enought time (not sure if those are arwinss-related crashes or not).
Finding the same here, regular blue screens while using Firefox 3, having finally bitten the bullet and installed putty and Com0com I can send back traces if helpful. At the moment they are pointing to page pool errors.

The plus points are very good in this release the Explorer interface is noticeable quicker and windows now work as expected, items like the taskbar are no longer hidden.

CedLFr

Post by CedLFr »

Sof_T wrote:
Finding the same here, regular blue screens while using Firefox 3, having finally bitten the bullet and installed putty and Com0com I can send back traces if helpful. At the moment they are pointing to page pool errors.

The plus points are very good in this release the Explorer interface is noticeable quicker and windows now work as expected, items like the taskbar are no longer hidden.
I've just tested explorer_new and the desktop works but the taskbar show only one second on the start of ros and then hide, it's impossible to start an explorer window (executing the old explorer when explorer_new is loaded allow it). It's a long time since I doesn't test explorer_new on ros so I can't tell if it works then same on trunk.

igorko

Post by igorko »

Afaik arwinss uses modified explorer, so it needs modified explorer_new for normal work. And explorer_new even doesn't work normal in trunk.

fireball
Developer

Post by fireball »

A clarification for the above igorko's post: The explorer in my isos is almost unmodified one from trunk, except for removing one ROS-related hack from it (very minor one, maybe it doesn't even change anything). So neglecting this small change, it could be thought of as unmodified one.

zed260

Post by zed260 »

we should rename arwinss and call it vodka since its strogest of wines and based of wine

evilslon

Post by evilslon »

zed260 wrote:we should rename arwinss and call it vodka since its strogest of wines and based of wine
Sorry about offtopic, but vodka has never ever been based on wine (at least Russian Vodka), it consists of ethanol and cleared water ;)

AloneRaven

Post by AloneRaven »

likely Сognac/Konjak, because it was made out of wine :)

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Why don't you call it "shaken, not stirred" - due to the impression it leaves on the user! :D

P.S.: From me also Happy Birthday to Alexey! :)

Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

500 times of download!