Question to ARWINSS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ajtsoukalas

Re: Question to ARWINSS

Post by ajtsoukalas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:43 am

Just to clarify,

VMS is a DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) operating system developed by David Cutler (and others), who is also the main brain behind WIndows NT. So I guess you could call him the great grandfather of ReactOS.
:lol:

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:54 am

Just to clarify,

VMS is a DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) operating system developed by David Cutler (and others), who is also the main brain behind WIndows NT. So I guess you could call him the great grandfather of ReactOS.
Do clones even have fathers.... :?: I have always wondered about this(biologically speaking).... I mean if your dad's brother is his twin is he your dad too? in this case ROS is the Clone

b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm

@nicamarvin2005:
"Do clones even have fathers.... :?: I have always wondered about this(biologically speaking).... I mean if your dad's brother is his twin is he your dad too? in this case ROS is the Clone"
"father" is too generic of a word to answer such a question. In fact you have many questions.

1) Do clones have fathers?
2) Dad's twin is also your dad? (completely independent question)
2.5) Did you mean to ask if dad's clone is also your dad? (an inverted situation from the first and otherwise unrelated)
3) How does this relate to ReactOS, or does it?

I typed a long response but removed it because it's a silly topic. Biologically speaking, direct inheritance and the seeding of the reproductive process would determine the father, so a reproductive biologist would probably say no clones don't have fathers while a geneticist might say they share the same father as the source of their genes. Depending on who you ask and for what purpose you will get different answers. Then there's Sociology which you didn't ask about, and the legal system which you also didn't ask about, all with different views.

A technological clone by definition does not have the same code, but a biological clone by definition does. "Father" regarding inventions is a metaphor and should be examined no further than that. VMS to NT was a definite generational gap, while NT to ReactOS is metaphorically a sibling. Or depending on how far you see XP progressed to W7, it might be a cousin. But it doesn't matter because the "father" idea is tenuous to begin with.

nicamarvin2005

Post by nicamarvin2005 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:17 am

it doesn't matter because the "father" idea is tenuous to begin with.
sorry, I was just thinking outloud... :o I was thinking that I dont like the term Clone much, but mostly because I see human clones in the future will be underdogs or treat it bad... :(