Once ReactOS reaches the NT 5.2 goal, what's after?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Happy-Dude

Once ReactOS reaches the NT 5.2 goal, what's after?

Post by Happy-Dude » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 am

Hiya!!

This might be a bit soon (since ReactOS is still under heavy development), but I was just wondering: What are the goals of ReactOS once it reaches the NT 5.2 (Windows XP and 2003) goal?

The next step should be NT 6.x (Windows Vista, Server 2008, and 7), but there are so many VASTLY different kernel changes from the 5.x versions. Many things, like memory, processor, and graphics are treated differently on NT6.x. As far as I know, even the user is affected pretty strongly (like with UAC and some aesthetic changes with MSStyles-- which AFAIK, hasn't been implemented on ReactOS just yet).

It's probably too soon to think of this, but how can ReactOS implement NT6.x and still follow the goals mentioned here ? Can 6.x even be made more lighter-weight with that it is leveraging? (And also- a personal thing, MS changed some msstyling abilities that many themers do not appreciate.)

As far as I can see, I think it might be likely that ReactOS might deviate from Windows in their design goals and targeted audience (don't know how-- but I think the OS design philosophy from MS and React is fundamentally different) while implementing the best of the new features (such as the new memory and process management) and maintaining compatibility with applications.

Can someone enlighten me on the difficulty of re-implementing NT 6.x within ReactOS, the considerations, and possible architectural changes?

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Once ReactOS reaches the NT 5.2 goal, what's after?

Post by EmuandCo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 am

We already support some Windows 6 features and this will continue for sure. ANd yes, we will walk our own way and relize some things different from MS. Of course we wont just clone Windows, we try to make it better.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

bjt2

Post by bjt2 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

I hope that you will eventually implement the backing store features of the aero interfaces, specially in the manner like that seven, that uses GPU memory instead of RAM. If cleverly implemented these can also save some CPU cycles spent to redraw and bring some work on the GPU...

Happy-Dude

Post by Happy-Dude » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 pm

bjt2 wrote:I hope that you will eventually implement the backing store features of the aero interfaces, specially in the manner like that seven, that uses GPU memory instead of RAM. If cleverly implemented these can also save some CPU cycles spent to redraw and bring some work on the GPU...
Interesting; once the ROS team has time on their hands, is it possible to backport some of the Aero improvements on the GPU onto the MSStyles from 5.x? (Also, I think it would be best if ReactOS maintains styling compatibility from both the 5.x branch and 6.x branch; as I said in a previous post, the Win7 Aero.msstyles and how it themes is very different- and limited in flexibility- compared to the Vista. A greater difference exists with XP.)

I know I have a bunch of WinXP themes that I love and enjoy- and I don't really like Aero's requirements. I think the basic style (not classic) for Vista/7 is very unpleasant.