Company behind ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RaptorEmperor

Re: Company behind ReactOS?

Post by RaptorEmperor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:08 am

Haos wrote:Open-source drivers??

We are currently in possession of largest NT open-source driver collection. Besides us its pretty non-existent.
I've heard of companies supplying open-source Linux drivers, so I wasn't ruling out the existence of open-source Windows drivers. Doesn't surprise me if we do have the bulk of open-source Windows drivers, though, since Windows is a closed-source platform. Whether or not to include closed-source drivers is a bit of an issue in the Linux world, as part of a greater concern over binary blobs. The situation is a bit different here in Windows Land, though.

Maybe if ReactOS ever takes off we will see companies release more drivers as open-source. Still not quite relevant to ReactOS itself, but it would be nice for the open-source movement as a whole. We shouldn't be concerned about driver availability as opposed to corporate backing for development of ReactOS itself. Let's try to stay on topic here. :)

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 pm

This is not a necessity. We don't really need open-source drivers, when ROS gets stable and mature enough. We`d only bundle generic ones. Open-source drivers come in handy while developing, especially for pinpointing issues and debugging them.

reub2000

Post by reub2000 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:42 am

We need some use that needs a free alternative to windows that can't be satisfied with other free operating systems. One of the ideas that came to my mind was software vendors distributing their demos on reactos livecds.

forart

Post by forart » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Haos wrote:This is not a necessity. We don't really need open-source drivers, when ROS gets stable and mature enough. We`d only bundle generic ones. Open-source drivers come in handy while developing, especially for pinpointing issues and debugging them.
Don't be so closed-minded, Haos.

Remember that a company (an hw manufacturer, in this case) wanna something back.

VIA, for example, seems very open source friendly (check here) both for drivers and software.
I'm sure that they may bring mutch more users (and, of course, developers) if they'll decide to bundle a ROS CD with their Embedded Boards...
They'll surelly also apreciate a community support to get their drivers updated and functional.

I also believe that *any* hw manufacturer would be happy (and may also pay) if ROS could grant for generic Windows drivers...

So, in a sentence: don't close any door, anyone should enter.

That's the open source spirit, IMHO.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm

There should be NO need for dedicated drivers for ROS. Open-sourcing them would mean open-sourcing them for Windows machines as well, a step kinda not a single serious player in hardware market ever has gone for. Where do you see my close-mindedness? Many companies are open-sourcing drivers, but only their linux flavor... and i hope you still remember that ReactOS is NT, not linux.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:41 am

Haos is kind of killing the enthusiasm, but he does have a point about companies only releasing open-source Linux drivers. Most drivers you see that are open-source are Linux drivers, because the community demands it and some big-name distros such as Debian won't package the drivers otherwise.

Half the reason you see so many open-source Linux drivers is because the community demands it. Even still, it took like ten years of Linux being around before hardware vendors took it seriously enough to provide drivers, and they only open-sourced them because it's a strategic business advantage to provide open-source drivers when you're dealing with hardcore open-source junkies. This leads into the other half of why companies release open-source Linux drivers: the company that doesn't provide them risks alienating the Linux community to the benefit of its competitors.

If the ReactOS community grows as strong as the Linux community, and we are as committed to open-source principles as Linux people are, then perhaps some companies will be tempted to release drivers as open-source to gain positive publicity and better sales. Ultimately the issue is whether or not companies feel that releasing drivers as open-source will drive sales amongst open-source OS users.

While I would applaud the release of more drivers as open-source, ReactOS itself will run closed- or open-source drivers regardless, so whether open-source drivers increase in number is not really too relevant to the growth of ReactOS itself. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of ReactOS driving more manufacturers to release open-source drivers (no pun intended) if our installed user base becomes large enough for open-source drivers to have a positive effect on sales.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:48 am

RaptorEmperor wrote: Half the reason you see so many open-source Linux drivers is because the community demands it. Even still, it took like ten years of Linux being around before hardware vendors took it seriously enough to provide drivers, and they only open-sourced them because it's a strategic business advantage to provide open-source drivers when you're dealing with hardcore open-source junkies. This leads into the other half of why companies release open-source Linux drivers: the company that doesn't provide them risks alienating the Linux community to the benefit of its competitors.
The third half :D is that Linux does not have a stable driver API "by design", so providing open source drivers allows manufacturers an easy get away from the maintenance hell.
And do not forget that while there are more and more drivers for Linux, OSS or otherwise, most of them lack features found in Windows counterparts.