How is developement coming along?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: How is developement coming along?

Post by vicmarcal » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Release is waiting for various things:
1)Finishing the testing of Test 0.3.11
2)Finishing changelog

ajtsoukalas

Post by ajtsoukalas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:30 am

I know this sounds paranoid but is it possible the nute is a MS wienie who is just tweaking everyone?

Where's an Alien when you need one?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 am

Dont think so, but believe me. We have an eye on him. Now plz back to topic.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:39 am

ajtsoukalas wrote:I know this sounds paranoid but is it possible the nute is a MS wienie who is just tweaking everyone?
Where's an Alien when you need one?
Please stop this kind of attitude, it's not positive and it won't take anyone far.

ajtsoukalas

Post by ajtsoukalas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Sorry,

Bad joke.

nute

Post by nute » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 pm

I would add that Warcraft II BNE by Blizzard installs but does not work. Only the map editor runs where the main game refuses to believe that there
is enough virtual memory for it. The minute you scroll in the map editor, major corruption. Another thing, the map editor can't seem to tell the
difference between clicked verses not clicked. It is effectively unusable. If anyone can get it to work where I haven't been able to, I'd love to hear
about it.

Another thing, I have vmware workstation 6 and I have not been able to get sound working at all.

Considering that most if not all Windows software is proprietary, how are the developers testing programs
that would tell them whether various parts of Windows are duplicated adequately? Games are graphics
intensive generally speaking so they should be good candidates for testing ReactOS.

Is the glidewrapper patch for Diablo going to be replaced by ReactX or even DirectX 9 for that matter?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:51 pm

nute wrote:I would add that Warcraft II BNE by Blizzard installs but does not work. Only the map editor runs where the main game refuses to believe that there
is enough virtual memory for it. The minute you scroll in the map editor, major corruption. Another thing, the map editor can't seem to tell the
difference between clicked verses not clicked. It is effectively unusable. If anyone can get it to work where I haven't been able to, I'd love to hear
about it.

Another thing, I have vmware workstation 6 and I have not been able to get sound working at all.
Bugzilla is your friend. Make sure you create a proper bug reports with all necessary information.
nute wrote:Considering that most if not all Windows software is proprietary, how are the developers testing programs
that would tell them whether various parts of Windows are duplicated adequately?

Same as us testers do. Run application on debug version of ReactOS, observe the behaviour, identify the errors/missing functionality, analyze debug logs. We use it to report bugs, devs - to fix them. In rare cases disassembling is required.
nute wrote:Games are graphics intensive generally speaking so they should be good candidates for testing ReactOS.

I dont agree. You can use games to test just a small portion of OS, as they mostly use only certain portions of system. For example, i havent seen a game that would test cd-burning interface or font manipulation.
nute wrote:Is the glidewrapper patch for Diablo going to be replaced by ReactX or even DirectX 9 for that matter?
Iirc, glidewrapper was supplied before we even had WineD3D imported and used. There was no other alternative to run Diablo2, as this game wouldn`t work with opengl itself (which in turn was the only graphical interface working back then). Nowadays, you should be able to run Diablo using Directx. If not, see my first comment.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:16 pm

nute wrote: Another thing, I have vmware workstation 6 and I have not been able to get sound working at all.
You aren't alone there, nobody has.

nute

Post by nute » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:42 am

With the new newsletter it looks like efforts are underway to fix the shell.

What is lacking in the newsletter are estimates as to how long the work should take.

It sounds like the things the letter talks about are 0.4.0 specific. Sadly, it didn't seem
to cover what is holding up 0.3.11. Maybe 0.3.11 should be skipped and the emphasis
should be on getting 0.4.0 out ASAP.

reactosfan

Post by reactosfan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 am

We already have a 0.3.11 pre release. And if the developers skip everything until 0.5 the wonder becomes real! But, on the other hand if there is no milestone achievement visible and a real intention for that not much will happen... :?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Beware: Release is comingggggg.............

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 am

So long as I write the newsletter, I am never going to put estimates for time of completion in it. I did in the past and they were useless and misleading. I honestly don't understand how you expect us to come up with timelines.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 am

Newsletter is about recent development news. If you want release-specific information, wait for the release news.

There will be no estimates on completion time as no one is working for the project. We are volunteers, doing stuff in our SPARE time. Thus, no deadlines. We have our lives and paid jobs/schools/universities, you know...

Zvince

Post by Zvince » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:27 am

[troll] Reactos should hire people who have no paid job, no school, no university, no girflfriend, no children, no pets, no hobbies, no sleep, no eat ... no electrical power needed (elsewhere we could call this person a ... computer) then the job could be done faster : a new realease every week at least [/troll]