How is developement coming along?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

How is developement coming along?

Post by nute » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:52 am

It is December, albeit it is early December. How is 0.3.11 coming along? How is development in general coming along?
There hasn't been a newsletter since Halloween it seems.

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: How is developement coming along?

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 am

Search the forums and you will see. As soon as you found your answer, let us know.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:27 pm

before you go berserk on my esteemed colleague here, development is coming along fine. a release should be due soon, given that a release branch has been done (http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/bran ... ch-0_3_11/). Networking has been fixed by reverting a lot of work that aicom has done which was found to be not tested thoroughly. The newsletter, as you know, is not done on a regular basis.

if you want fox-style up-to-the-minute information about our development progress, you may peruse the following links:
http://build.reactos.org:8010/waterfall
http://reactos.org/testman

fred02

Post by fred02 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Lone_Rifle Good answer, thank you.
Off topic.
May I suggest closing the thread before it goes out of hand again?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Lone_Rifle. I just said him that he has to use the Search Button first, as everyone here has to! This is sorta netiquette in Forums. And its not being closed yet. First he has to tell us if he found/got the information he wanted.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:52 pm

you were my esteemed colleague by the way. not nute.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Ah, sry. nvm

Pesho

Post by Pesho » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Was there ever any doubt? ;)

nute

Post by nute » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:38 am

I went the update your source repository, compile a new build, and see what works route.
Well, I can't say that I was able to see improvement since the last time I tried a post
0.3.10 build. Firefox 3 doesn't render properly even in my most recent build of ReactOS.
I would like to see that problem get fixed before 0.3.11 comes out.

It would be nice if one could look at lists of what the developers are trying to address to
see where things stand at the moment. I realize newsletters are not a standard thing,
but it would be nice if they'd come out on a monthly basis at least.

There is still a complete absence of authentication and there is no obvious user context
to speak of. Explorer needs to be replaced, but I understand that that is scheduled for
later. Networking still seems primitive, forget browsing samba or Windows Server shares
from ReactOS.

How much of ReactOS is hacked at this point and how much of it is stable code?
This information would be a possible indicator of how far off a beta release is.

reactosfan

Post by reactosfan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 am

Whenever I installed a Windows and a Linus (no type error) in parallel on a mostly self designed PC I do only recognise proper working hardware (as it was designed for in function and speediness) mostly only if I use manufacture driver or a Linux. Mostly the "WindowsXYZ" drivers set the hardware to a "secure level" and it makes no fun at all. In linux I experience either it works or I have to follow a hacking instruction. Mostly the next kernel update sets this function off-line. So what is the difference in between an official windows driver hack and a ROS made one? I can not see any! If you need examples I can give you tons of this bullshit - after a Sunday morning breakfast!

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:16 pm

nute wrote:I went the update your source repository, compile a new build, and see what works route. Well, I can't say that I was able to see improvement since the last time I tried a post 0.3.10 build.
If you dare to say there were no changes between now and post 0.3.10 then... sry, you are FOR SURE no computer scientist or whatever you said you are. Read the commit logs and changelogs as we all told you a fantastillion times already!
nute wrote:Firefox 3 doesn't render properly even in my most recent build of ReactOS. I would like to see that problem get fixed before 0.3.11 comes out.
Yes, it still exisits and no it wont work in 0.3.11. Maybe in 0.4.
nute wrote:It would be nice if one could look at lists of what the developers are trying to address to see where things stand at the moment.
Er, what? I don't understand this.
nute wrote:I realize newsletters are not a standard thing, but it would be nice if they'd come out on a monthly basis at least.
Do you volunteer to support ZWabbit in writing them?
nute wrote:There is still a complete absence of authentication and there is no obvious user context to speak of.
Because there's no need for right now. And yes, we work on it. Maybe you even will see UAC in the future.
nute wrote:Explorer needs to be replaced, but I understand that that is scheduled for later.
Another, because there's no need for right now, and btw, we have a new dev who wants to work on explorer. If you finally would look at the commit messages and recent Newsletters, you would know. Why do you want more recent Newsletters if you don't read them anyway??
nute wrote:Networking still seems primitive, forget browsing samba or Windows Server shares from ReactOS.
And now tell me what this has to do with the networking? Networking works quite well already! Browsing through shares is a SMBFS thing.
nute wrote:How much of ReactOS is hacked at this point and how much of it is stable code? This information would be a possible indicator of how far off a beta release is.
We dont hack where its not needed and remove all hacks we had to add in the past as soon as we can. And no, its no indicator.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:28 pm

nute wrote:I went the update your source repository, compile a new build, and see what works route.
Well, I can't say that I was able to see improvement since the last time I tried a post
0.3.10 build. Firefox 3 doesn't render properly even in my most recent build of ReactOS.
I would like to see that problem get fixed before 0.3.11 comes out.
Can you organize a developer to fix this issue?
nute wrote:It would be nice if one could look at lists of what the developers are trying to address to
see where things stand at the moment. I realize newsletters are not a standard thing,
but it would be nice if they'd come out on a monthly basis at least.
You could ask them in person, but i doubt it could be done. Most of them try to sort more than one issue at the time, often switching from one issue to another within days.
How much of ReactOS is hacked at this point and how much of it is stable code?
This information would be a possible indicator of how far off a beta release is.
No one really can provide such stats. It would require at least a code audit, which in turn would require devs knowledgeable of every single part of ReactOS trunk. Some of components are really murky and require specific knowledge before one can even try to say if its valid code or hacked. Such audit then would take days if not weeks, taking up most of developer`s time and wouldn`t provide any comparable profit in return. Thus you should forget about it.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 pm

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ChangeLog-0.3.11 for the changelog, nute. I hope for your sake that by saying that you see no improvement, you mean you see no visible improvement.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Lone_Rifle wrote:http://www.reactos.org/wiki/ChangeLog-0.3.11 for the changelog, nute. I hope for your sake that by saying that you see no improvement, you mean you see no visible improvement.
There are even enough visible changes if you do more than just install it and start solitaire or other default stuff.

cruonit

Post by cruonit » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Hmm the developers are hiperactive in the last few days (~15-20 commits a day). I think the release is waiting for Aleksey since the team didn't manage to finish the release till Wednesday.

References:
* Alekseys post on usenet