size of reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Meklort

Post by Meklort »

I thihk firefox can be included, since the mozilla liscense is compatible with the GPL.

Personaly, I would like Reactos to include the core operating system, basic drivers, and the package manager. With the package manager, you then could install the latest verison of firefox, and any special drivers you might need.
This makes the initial cd very small, and lets you have the latest packages. Also, because dialup users might not want to wast the bandwidth, there can be another cd with basic packages that a person could download, or have shipped to their house, so that they could install packages with it, aznd not have to download it everytime they install ros on a new computer. Personaly, I would just want the base with the package manager, I'll get what I want, since I dont want other people deciding that I want firefox, or some other browser.

Viod

Post by Viod »

So if everything will be installed via Internet then what will do ppl without it ? Its necessairy to include full CD/DVD distro in ReactOS Road Map . Although small ISO images for advenced users should be available. Just like in Debian ;]
:D

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

In fact I'm not sure what a package manager is supposed to accomplish, unless it's to mimic Windows Update. Then it really isn't a "package manager", it's ReactOS Update.
NOOOOO, wrong.
Why should ReactOS provide the bandwidth for this?
It does not. It's downloaded from the Vendor's homepage. We only provide the install scripts.
R.I.N.D, ReactOS Is Not a Distro, distros include software, OSes do not.
Why does FreeBSD then ? (Using thier Ports-System that is like a package manager.) And there would be no Linux OS as in your definition. There is only the kernel or the distros. And the kernel itself (without GNU tools and glibc etc.) is not usefull at all.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

dark

Post by dark »

freeBSD is the only operating system that does that, probably because of the lack of software for it. all of their install disks take up a full cd, try downloading those on a phone line, it might take you months if you consider cut offs in the connection.

(then he goes on saying something about linux and distros but i don't know how that applies since windows without any software is very usable, i'll admit it does come with an internet browser, and reactos should to. but a minimal one would be better, then the end user can decide on firefox, mozilla suite, opera, etc..., yes there are going to be people who don't like firefox.)

Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

dark wrote:Also to previous posts, i don't think firefox or opera can be included because they're not under the same liscense.
Just an idea, but could MozillaActiveX Control be used then? It's quite small, too (IIRC somewhat more than 4mb) and could be used together with ReactOS Explorer as default webbrowser.

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

gasmann wrote:Just an idea, but could MozillaActiveX Control be used then? It's quite small, too (IIRC somewhat more than 4mb) and could be used together with ReactOS Explorer as default webbrowser.
I'm currently working on a wizard that downloads the control when it's not installed. So that you can use ibrowser or explorer.
then he goes on saying something about linux and distros but i don't know how that applies since windows without any software is very usable
You don't get the point. I just want to say that Os does not mean "comes without software". You're atgument is that ReactOs is a Os and not a Distro but nobody said that it's not allowed to include Software in a OS-CD.

I still think that an Os that comes barly but with a package manager that can install all the rest is the best way. At least for the prople that use the same box to download where they install.(and not have a modem connection on that Pc or something like that)
Last edited by Dr. Fred on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I like the idea of the baisc OS, no extra crapola, on the base ISO. Then the package manager controls ROS-specific email and calendar, popular office packages like AbiWord and OoO, and other freeware that ROS has a partnership with their authors. Otherwise its not appropriate to include them for download.
Go Huskers!

chris319

Post by chris319 »

In fact I'm not sure what a package manager is supposed to accomplish, unless it's to mimic Windows Update. Then it really isn't a "package manager", it's ReactOS Update.

NOOOOO, wrong.
Then the package manager controls ROS-specific email and calendar, popular office packages like AbiWord and OoO
Nobody has made a convincing case why a "package manager" is needed. You want Winamp? Download it from their site. You want Eudora? Dowload it from their site. You want OpenOffice.org? Download it from their site, just like you would any Windows application. R.I.N.L.; there doesn't need to be a repository of dozens of KDE components as there does with Linux. If you decide to have a ReactOS repository, you're going to have to offer all of the accessories and plugins for those packages and keep everything up to date versionwise, and for what? Just have the end user download his apps himself.

And what's this about "ROS-specific" applications? If it runs on Windows it should run on ReactOS; that's the whole idea, isn't it? ReactOS isn't proprietary like SkyOS.

MadRat

Post by MadRat »

...and other freeware that ROS has a partnership with their authors.
I guessed you missed my last statement. Partnerships are good for compatibility and promotion of ROS.

I'm not so sure partnering with commercial and private shareware products isn't a good idea, too. MS made their boat float with this concept.
Go Huskers!

Meklort

Post by Meklort »

chris319 wrote:Nobody has made a convincing case why a "package manager" is needed. You want Winamp? Download it from their site. You want Eudora? Dowload it from their site. You want OpenOffice.org? Download it from their site, just like you would any Windows application. R.I.N.L.; there doesn't need to be a repository of dozens of KDE components as there does with Linux. If you decide to have a ReactOS repository, you're going to have to offer all of the accessories and plugins for those packages and keep everything up to date versionwise, and for what? Just have the end user download his apps himself.
After having used portage with gentoo, I would never want to go back to another distro or to windows, just beacuse of how hard it is to install anything. With portage, all you have to do is tell it to install somthing, and it does it, you dont even have to find the link, download it, run the installer, or anything, it just happens. It makes maintaning the software very easy, and installing somthing new so easy, that all you have to do is think, hey, I want firefox, and then type in a command and its done.without that you would have to go to mozilla's website, find the downoad, downlaod it, run the installer, answer all the questions that everyone click yes to anyway, and then you can actualy use the software. a package manager is easyer, faster, and more efficient / productive.
Also, I dont think we need a reason for a package manager, its already done, and Dr Fred is doing this becasue he wants to. He isnt going to stop just becasue you say that we dont need one,
If we want Reactos to be spread to more user, we need to have an operating system that people dont need to spen alot of time maintaning, and a package manager helps with that.

Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i believe the closer ROS gets to a windows type distribution, the less hassles there will be.

a cd0 with just the base OS (gui, drivers) and a browser is a good idea

a cd with the base OS, a browser, a basic email client, some kind of text editor (like notepad and wordpad equivalents), a basic paint program, a basic media player and a disk defragmenter are not essential to an operating system but it's pretty pedantic approach. if you want someone to use your software, the sooner you can get them going is going to do nothing but help your cause.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

Gabriel Vigo

Post by Gabriel Vigo »

...in the "Windows World" the 'word': "Distro" --> doesn't exist...
So, if R.I.N.L (ReactOS Is Not Linux), why everybody here is
talking about "distros", and another words related to Linux?? :(

For me, ReactOS is an alternative S.O. for the (angry) Windows users, not an alternative S.O. for the (happy) Linux users. So, ReactOS needs to be the most "clean" S.O. possible. For me, all the Official ReactOS final download (ReactOS v1.0), will have not to exceed the 260MB (that's the Windows XP instalation size). You never have to forget that....
dark wrote:if you include applications they will become outdated, making the end user spend more time setting up there computer because they have to update them or get rid of them.
You are right... Only imagine Firefox in 6 months. May be that a lot of holes may appear, and everybody will need to download the last version, so if you include Firefox in ReactOS it will be a waste of download time and size... (This is only my humble opinion).....

Alkali

Post by Alkali »

Anyway, now that I think about it, I think the package manager is a great idea. Besides, im not going to critisize someones work when it is A to the benifite of the reactos project and B somthing I have no clue how to do.

Go Dr. Fred!

Elledan

Post by Elledan »

One thing to consider when discussing whether or not additional applications should be provided with ROS is the fact that there are still stand-alone systems out there, and people on dial-up.

In my opinion it would be best to provide choice:

- a stripped down ISO of ROS, with no (or a few) additional applications
- a package manager for downloading and installing applications
- an ISO with ROS and a collection of applications
- an ISO with only those applications

This way everyone can do things the way they want to do it :)

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Elledan wrote:- a stripped down ISO of ROS, with no (or a few) additional applications
- a package manager for downloading and installing applications
- an ISO with ROS and a collection of applications
- an ISO with only those applications
I like that.
...in the "Windows World" the 'word': "Distro" --> doesn't exist...
So, if R.I.N.L (ReactOS Is Not Linux), why everybody here is
talking about "distros", and another words related to Linux??
ReactOs is not Linux, but it's neither Windows. Your reactation gives me this impression: "I don't know that, it's evil."
For me, ReactOS is an alternative S.O. for the (angry) Windows users, not an alternative S.O. for the (happy) Linux users.
This weekend there was a guy in the reactos irc-channel. He loved Linux but he wanted to play one (directx) game, that was the only reason he had WinXP installled. Later with Reactos you will be even able to run ReactOs in Xen at the same time as Linux.

ReactOs is a operating system for everyone who wants to use it.