Adding dlls and etc.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

whizkid

Adding dlls and etc.

Post by whizkid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey I'm new to ReactOS but I'm very interested in what i see so far, Ive been running the OS through Qemu for now but am looking into a dual boot option. Anyway i was wondering if, and i understand that this is not %100 compatible with windows architecture as of yet, but would i be able to implement dll files and other core files into ReactOS from my copy of windows? I understand that this OS is under GNU and BSD licenses and is written from scratch, but for my OWN personal use, would that be A. permitted and B. compatible/make any improvements? Sorry if this is a dumb question as i am extremely new to this.

whizkid

Re: Adding dlls and etc.

Post by whizkid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Also though i don't have any formal knowledge of C or C++, coding and programing is a career I'm very interested in pursuing.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes.

gyROS

Post by gyROS » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:38 pm

whizkid wrote: but for my OWN personal use, would that be A. permitted and B. compatible/make any improvements
Point A
If you've got the Windows license, yes of cause!

Point B
This is difficult to answer. It depends on whether the dll only uses already implemented API calls or also unimplemented ones. But if it works and if the ReactOS version is either incomplete or not present it'll improve the system for sure.
whizkid wrote: Ive been running the OS through Qemu for now but am looking into a dual boot option
Better try the live CD first to see if your hardware is supported. In general I would not recommend using ReactOS in a dual boot system.
Yes, it should be possible if you install ReactOS first and Windows afterwards, but ReactOS might unintentionally damage your Windows installation (although that's unlikely).
Another problem might be updating the system in a dual boot configuration once it is installed.

But if your Windows installation is not too important and you know what you're doing,
good luck!

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Go for it, though if you have a windows license what is the point. If you copy the DLLs your running a large chuck of windows not the true RoS.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

whizkid

Post by whizkid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 pm

well i only see the reason for me to add a dll is to make a band-aid solution

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:09 am

If you need any further help, find us on Freenode, #reactos.

cruonit

Post by cruonit » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:45 am

I also thought about it. It would be nice to see how reactos could be improved trough win dlls just experimental :)

Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:51 am

Which version of Windows would you pull the DLLs from? XP? 2000?

Ubuntu

Post by Ubuntu » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Has anyone tried this idea of adding windows DLLs yet? What were your results?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Well...we sometimes have to add redistributables DLLs to make some apps working. You can do it if you have a valid windows license.
About mixing our Dlls and ReactOS dlls, that is something usual when testing,so you can find which dll is the buggy one,of course this doesnt work always.Also using ReactOS Dlls in Windows is something that i have done for testing purposes.