USB/Serial game controllers?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

USB/Serial game controllers?

Post by xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx »

Heyy, i was thinking of using physical hardware (real computer as opposed to VMware) installing reactOS and a load of game emulators and i was wondering if ReactOS currently supports USB or Serial josticks/game controllers?

thanxx in advanced guys :D
Haos
Test Team

Re: USB/Serial game controllers?

Post by Haos »

USB - no chance
Serial - perhaps, no os-side code atm.
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Post by xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx »

I think using autoIT i can "Remap" the serial controller to hit the correct "keys" on the keyboard therefore allowing propper play of games on the emulator, but is there anything i should read up on before doing so?
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx wrote:Heyy, i was thinking of using physical hardware (real computer as opposed to VMware) installing reactOS and a load of game emulators and i was wondering if ReactOS currently supports USB or Serial josticks/game controllers?

thanxx in advanced guys :D
By serial, do you mean Game ports (sometimes for MIDI as well) on older Sound cards and motherboards?
[ external image ]
(Image from Wikipedia, re-uploaded to ImageShack as Wikipedia doesn't allow direct linking to images)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

Do bear in mind these are no longer supported since Windows Vista (although that is a real shame), so they might not be implemented.

EDIT: I just found out these things are analog and require precise timing to work! So it's gonna take a LONG time until these things could be implemented well.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Why should it take a long time? Why do you think ROS works unprecise?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...