ReactOS on Dell Latitude CPX

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sk565

ReactOS on Dell Latitude CPX

Post by sk565 »

Hello, im new here but am skilled at computers. I have a dell latitude cpx with 192mb memory and 500ghz intel 3 prossesor. It has xp pro but the virus implimation has made it slow and buggy. So in light of finding a new system I wanted to know if react os could run on this pc, is it good for games, music, and videos like movies and tv shows. So if I burn the iso disk and run it, replacing xp pro, would it work better without fear of viruses. Or should I try freespire instead? Thank you
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: A question about ReactOS

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.10 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use.
The123king

Re: ReactOS on dell latitude cpx

Post by The123king »

sk565 wrote:Hello, im new here but am skilled at computers. I have a dell latitude cpx with 192mb memory and 500ghz intel 3 prossesor. It has xp pro but the virus implimation has made it slow and buggy. So in light of finding a new system I wanted to know if react os could run on this pc, is it good for games, music, and videos like movies and tv shows. So if I burn the iso disk and run it, replacing xp pro, would it work better without fear of viruses. Or should I try freespire instead? Thank you
Honestly? Go for a linux distro with WINE. ReactOS is nowhere near stable enough at the moment to use on a production system.

Come back in a year or two and you might be better off with ReactOS ;)
sk565

Post by sk565 »

Ok, I just hate microsoft so bad. I bought this pc on ebay, turns out its not a guine copy of windows which is so fustrating to work around. Cant upgrade to sp2 or any other updates. I may use freespire as a main os till react has all the hardware and software support. I do like this system though and have tried it via emulation. However emulation is slow. But thank you for the reply
Techsalvager

Post by Techsalvager »

zydon wrote:Unable to do Console/GUI switching is the biggest weakness in today Win NT based OS. Recovering from any attack could not clear/purge the memory which is harboring nasty invisible programs. Any changes to counter attack, probably being compromised when an attempt to refresh the memory using reboot may save the attack codes as well to adapt the changes.

It has been easier to manage an attack in Win9x based OS. Trace the attack, shutdown to console, remove the attack assets and go back to GUI. While shutdown to console, most of the attack codes in the memory has been purged, since console mode only run a single task environment. Users has all the power at hand to eliminate the security threats.

Probably, Win NT based going more sophisticated with system setting log which is popup to the user to show the list of recent changes for the last 2 hours or so. But, nasty worm in the memory monitoring the counter attack have been made by users. They become the Borg and adapt the changes as well. "Resistant is futile..." :)
Win 9x is terrible for security for any person, there is no permissions, no control, etc. The power that you get with win 9x is the same power that makes its totally easy to infect and mess with.

You really need to read more about how windows works. Esp windows NT based ones.
Techsalvager

Post by Techsalvager »

sk565 wrote:Ok, I just hate microsoft so bad. I bought this pc on ebay, turns out its not a guine copy of windows which is so fustrating to work around. Cant upgrade to sp2 or any other updates. I may use freespire as a main os till react has all the hardware and software support. I do like this system though and have tried it via emulation. However emulation is slow. But thank you for the reply
You hate MS because you got a pirated copy of windows on a computer you bought?
Why are you hating on MS and not the computer seller.
nute

Post by nute »

Microsoft can be held at fault for the problem of pirated copies of Windows
for the simple reason that Windows cannot be redistributed easily let alone
legally. With Linux, this isn't a problem.

Still, this guy with the P3 should be able to buy a retail copy of Win XP Pro
and do a clean install.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Windows XP on a P3 though, it is so slow even
on a P4 at times.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If he sold you an illegal copy then report it at ebay. And i dont understand why its ms fault when he did something illegal. btw. reselling a pc with the included windows copy is no problem.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Re: ReactOS on Dell Latitude CPX

Post by MadWolf »

hi
have a look at nlite http://www.nliteos.com/
Have you ever wanted to remove Windows components like Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...
How about not even to install them with Windows ?

nLite is a tool for pre-installation Windows configuration and component removal at your choice. Optional bootable image ready for burning on media or testing in virtual machines.
With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install does not include, or even contain on media, the unwanted components.
http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/prod ... lang=en-gb
greenie

Post by greenie »

Reactos probably wont be much of an improvement of windows. Viruses will still run. Changing security preferences will break compatibility with some applications.(hell even ie6 does not work properly without admin rights.)
If you don't need games I would just go with Ubuntu or another linux distro. I did this to my mothers computer after she got infected with a virus. Though she only needs internet,word and mail. As linux and mac barely have any viruses they also barely have any apps in comparison to windows. Just gotta make a choice.
xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Post by xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx »

nute wrote:Microsoft can be held at fault for the problem of pirated copies of Windows
for the simple reason that Windows cannot be redistributed easily let alone
legally. With Linux, this isn't a problem.
on a P4 at times.
Im sorry but thats like saying "nobody would steal TVs if they where free", linux is free and open source so obviously nobody can steal whats free, microsoft provides another operating system (that is in my opinion inferior) which is propiatery and costs money, if it where free the same concept would apply as it dose with linux, you cant steal if its free, but you can have it however microsoft charges money for it and they have every right to do so, its not there fault if there software gets pirated.
greenie

Post by greenie »

Saying something is bad because it's hard to pirate and do illegal activities is a bit silly.
Police are also silly they make murder and drink driving rather troublesome.

I don't have anything pirated. It's peoples choice to make money for there work.
The only annoying thing about windows is often people feel like they are paying for it simply because it runs more programs. It feels like 99.9% of it's values comes from what other people make for it. Also Microsoft knows this and number 1 thing in each new version is backwards compatibility.
Don't get me wrong I don't think thats the only good thing about windows, though it overshadows anything it has and other os.(with the exception of reactos :P)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This thread has wandered off the topic, please get back to it or it will be moved to Offtopic section.