Application Lists

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quigs

Application Lists

Post by Quigs »

There are a LOT of Application Lists on the wiki...
There's got to be a more efficient way to do it
Any suggestions/ideas?
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Probably not atm, things are changing fast. http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/ might be what your looking for.
forart

Post by forart »

There are a LOT of Application Lists on the wiki...
Some are useless... :roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

might be what your looking for.
I'm not looking for another list of apps.. (even the good one you provided)
I'm looking for a more efficient way to organize the apps.
Perhaps 1 database or something? Maintaining all of these lists seems to be counter-productive to me.
The lists could draw from the db and stay up to date.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Quigs wrote:
might be what your looking for.
I'm not looking for another list of apps.. (even the good one you provided)
I'm looking for a more efficient way to organize the apps.
Perhaps 1 database or something? Maintaining all of these lists seems to be counter-productive to me.
The lists could draw from the db and stay up to date.
I will create such a database (for the package manager). The same database will provide a compatibility section and i will move the compatibility section (the database data) to the reactos.com server.

I created a first alpha version of the page (some weeks ago): http://frik85.fr.funpic.de/packmgr/ (alpha version page)
(you can play around with it, several features are included but only the package manager section)

When the new homepage design is available, I will start to add the same style to the database section.

When the page is ready, it will provide you the following features:

* provide the online database for the ReactOS package manager

* a online viewable tree of the package database (as you can on my alpha page)

* a compatibility section like the one I created last summer (http://frik85.reactos.at) based on the new code (see alpha page)

* global login system for the whole ReactOS homepage (picture -> http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... s&mdnr=113 (click download to view the picture))

* page support for all platforms (x86, x64, IA64, PPC, etc.) and languages (english, german, ...) (in both the package and the compatibility section)

* if someone add a software report to the compatibility section and mark the software as "work good" or similar, someone other will be able to click in the compatibility section on a link or button and then he/she will be able add the software to the package section (only add some information like "download link", ...). So both sections use the same database and the same tree. And for the users it will be possible to set filter so the get their information listed as the wish.

If someone has any suggestion about the compatibility or the package section, please feel free and post your comments.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

Speaking of the package manager..
is their a plan to use torrents for downloading/updating. As most updates dont change the majority of the program, a new torrent for the update could just download the stuff that has changed. Just a thought.
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Quigs wrote:Speaking of the package manager..
is their a plan to use torrents for downloading/updating. As most updates dont change the majority of the program, a new torrent for the update could just download the stuff that has changed. Just a thought.
As it stands it wont use torrents. While torrents are a good way to share things, people will want to use the package manager then close it so i doubt it would be as effective as it would normally. Also the average users might not want to have there internet connection sending out data. If torrents are to be used, the user needs another download option aswell.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

anybody mind if I put the idea on the wiki? (torrents that is)
chris319

Post by chris319 »

WHOA THERE!
An effort to create a Free Software for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware and software!
That is not what ReactOS is at all! When you say "for Microsoft Windows(TM)" you are implying that ReactOS is designed to run on Windows, i.e. that Windows is needed to run ReactOS. Then you say "compatible with existing hardware and software". What hardware? ReactOS won't run on a Mac as some versions of Linux do.

ReactOS can be described as "a free operating system which aims to be compatible with software written for Microsoft Windows(R)".
chris319

Post by chris319 »

If I post an entry to the new database, will I be able to edit/modify my entry later? One of the problems with the fansite is that it is not possible to do that.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

chris319 wrote:If I post an entry to the new database, will I be able to edit/modify my entry later? One of the problems with the fansite is that it is not possible to do that.
You have to register, then you should be able to do so.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

chris319 wrote:If I post an entry to the new database, will I be able to edit/modify my entry later? One of the problems with the fansite is that it is not possible to do that.
You have to register and then with the account - there will be a one login system for the whole reactos page - you will be able to edit your reports/posts/etc.