[proposal] Install Redmine on Server

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

taibo

[proposal] Install Redmine on Server

Post by taibo »

Hi,

wanted to make a proposal to install Redmine on the server, I leave a description in question and a link to a demo :)

Redmine is an open source, web-based project management and bug-tracking tool. It includes calendar and gantt charts to aid visual representation of projects and their deadlines. It supports multiple projects. Redmine is a FOSS solution which provides integrated project management features, issue tracking, and support for multiple version control options. Redmine is written using the Ruby on Rails framework. It is cross-platform and cross-database.

[ external image ]

Features

-- Multiple projects support
-- Flexible role-based access control
-- Flexible issue tracking system
-- Gantt chart and calendar
-- News, documents & files management
-- Feeds & e-mail notifications.
-- Per project wiki
-- Per project forums
-- Simple time tracking functionality
-- Custom fields for issues, time-entries, projects and users
-- SCM integration (SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and Darcs)
-- Multiple LDAP authentication support
-- User self-registration support
-- Multilanguage support
-- Multiple databases support

Redmine is reported to have more than 30 major installations worldwide. Among the users of Redmine is Gentoo's Summer of Code and Ruby.

demo --> http://demo.redmine.org/

Opinions?

Thanks and Cheerz! ;)
greenie

Re: [proposal] Install Redmine on Server

Post by greenie »

Gantt chart's are fantastic in normal projects. You have tasks, there dependencies and deadlines. I think it will fail with the deadlines part. When your paying people that is expectable and desired. Maybe for the paid programmers that the reactos foundation employs soon with all the talk that is going on ;)

unfortunately it is down right now and i can't see it. I would love to look.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I dealt with a project that used redmine for a while. Because of Rails, the thing ended up running the server at 100% CPU usage so much that the host shut the site down. Also, to move the current content over would be a very arduous task, especially since the functionality currently needed by the project is covered by the CMS we already have.
greenie

Post by greenie »

it's not filling me with confidence. It's down and someone already says it is a hog.
Obviously people think this isn't going too smoothly. What is the cause is hard to say.
Other projects use bugzilla and mediawiki for there projects. why is Reactos considered so bad?
Is it other projects have extra things or is it that they use mediawiki and bugzilla better?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It has no added value to our project.
Zvince

Post by Zvince »

"why is Reactos considered so bad?"
Who said that ?

I dont think that the reactos team needs this kind of software. Since developpers work when they can/want, what would they do with a Gantt chart ? SVN, bugzilla, IRC or an instant messaging system, maybe audio conferences sometimes, a few other collaboration tools, what else ?
taibo

Post by taibo »

why is ReactOS considered so bad?

Who said that?
who said that this ...

However, it was only a proposition nothing more, thanks

pd: it can give the item closed and resolved :)
greenie

Post by greenie »

"why is Reactos considered so bad?"
It was on observation that the general theme lately is that reactos is unorganized. With even some developers agreeing. I'm just curious why people think this when other projects use the same tools.
I mean there is a topic called "A plea for some organization". So obviously people consider reactos to not be managed very well.
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough. Though I did say "Obviously people think this isn't going too smoothly"
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I wonder if we examined the level of complaints and compared it to the rate of new newsletters being published, would we see a correlation?
nute

Post by nute »

There probably is a correlation between the infrequency of the newsletters and the
impressions some people have that the project isn't well managed. Another thing
that would correlate well with people's negative feelings about the project is the
depiction of the project, possibly by the developers themselves, as a volunteer
effort and nothing more. With Windows 7 coming out and not being as bad as
Vista, people feel less of a need for ReactOS. The reality is, digital restrictions
management has yet to annoy people enough that they want an alternative. Activation
requirements, despite being draconian, have not phased people either. It is interesting
that Bill Gates himself has said that Windows would not be the success it is today in
the absence of piracy, but we don't hear about that very often.

The reality is, Windows is ubiquitous at this point and Microsoft has a stranglehold on
most people, but people don't feel pinched yet. If Microsoft starts licensing Windows
on a time basis or it starts implementing DRM in a way that causes the innocent to
have problems, maybe then people will say give me something else.

If the ReactOS community wants people to join this effort, this needs to look less like it
is someone's hobby and more like a serious project. Redmine may not be helpful, but
the profile of the project could certainly use improvement. If someone wanted an
alternative today, I'd recommend Syllable Desktop or Ubuntu Linux before I'd
recommend ReactOS.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

I'll agree, we need multiple people working to release at minimal two news letters a month, and if we need content then why don't we ever give wine credit, If they do something that improves performance on our end, then say o well wine did this rather than, "and umm ya we borrowed wine's DLLs again and now we are up-to-date." I mean really It wouldn't kill us to give them more recognition as they do save use a ton of work.

I enjoy this project, but it needs to look less like a 5th grade programing class, and more like a real alternative to windows. I'm going to work on a low resource GUI alternative that adds more features currently in use by windows 7. We need to drop this windows 95 look...
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

A low resource GUI for ReactOS?we are expecting it...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You do realize that the reason ROS looks like Win2k graphically is because of backend stuff? Regardless of what you actually write, it won't do anything for ROS if we didn't implement it in the various Win32 libraries.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This so called win95 look is the Win2k look and even Windows 7 has it. Its just painted over by the Theming Engine. The Theming Engine is being worked on already, so themes will be useable in the future and we ONLY will support the typical UXTheme Files like Windows does for the beginning. Adding your own GUI Theming System wont get any support from us, sry. Check my Blog to see some pics of the first efforts to theme windows and buttons and stuff.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

And anyway, why should ReactOS be called "ugly"? I would call it - "clean".

Another question: Is a good operating system distinguished by its "cuteness"? It is without doubt important for the massive attraction of users one day - but who knows how Windows will look till then.

And, finally... do not forget: There was a world also in the year 2000... computer users were not becoming "blind" as Windows was "sooo ugly".

I personally most like the Nextstep look. But I think this is more a question of taste than of ReactOS.

Actually, all of that "cuteness" efforts of Microsoft - as long as they do not pertain to the core of functionality of Windows - are in my eyes PRECISELY what gives ReactOS a chance... from a technical point of view, they are rather superfluous.