Money for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Witch

Re: Money for ReactOS

Post by Witch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Never fear I is here! :) I have exactly the right pills for all your headaches. "Remember, all I'm offering you is the truth nothing more."

Blue pill
Guide to earning income from a Free/Open Source Project

Red pill
If ReactOS is 100% done. What kind of Consulting business..

Long story short
  • Googley ads, nagging ads, all ads in general is only short-term-solutions.
  • The big money which allow for a self-sustaining monetary ecosystem is your long-term-solution. That will most likely occur when ReactOS is able to call itself stable and not beta.
  • Until then everyone will have to use their wits and creativity in order to find alternate routes for ReactOS and themselves. The long-term-solution is like chasing the leprechaun where the treasure lies at the end of the rainbow.
What this all means is this. You can either spend all your time and energy on a short-term-solution or leave that behind you and focus all your energy into the long-term-solution today. With the disadvantage of starving until ReactOS becomes stable. But the end result will be so much more lucrative.

The longer you wait with thinking long-term the later it will blossom.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:15 am

OK, I have been playing with the following idea:

How about collecting money for SOME PURPOSE. E.g. a promotion event - you distribute T-Shirts and cookies with chocolate command prompts on them or something thelike; also possibly 2GB USB-sticks with ReactOS running on them, should that somehow become possible. You say you want that project on the date X, to be conducted in the city of Y at the IT faculty of the university there.

If anyone wishes to do such an experiment - let us TRY IT! I suggest each such promotion event should not cost more than 200 Euro, probably between 100 and 200. I have no experience with this kind of stuff - if anyone else here suggests doing that, I would be in immediately with 50 Euro!

And it does not have to be a PR event. If you have ideas, share them.

I think if the amounts are rather small, such micro-projects can have success, after all, I do not think an old ReactOS-member will destroy his or her name by cheating for such amounts.

The ones who do it, please report how it was and if possible send us a picture or two.

I am ENTIRELY SERIOUS and willing to support such an experiment. So, who would do it, what would be "it", and how do others think of it? SUGGESTIONS, please!

Witch

Post by Witch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Aeneas you've got some refreshing ideas. People like candy, I've seen a fellow classmate do a survey on the streets successfully for a course with the help of candies attached to each survey paper. The problem there was the effort was done all for nothing. At least according to the specifications set by the teacher for that course. I'm sensing the same trap happening here, so I like you to prepare yourself.

a)
How about collecting money for SOME PURPOSE. E.g. a promotion event - you distribute T-Shirts and cookies with chocolate command prompts on them or something thelike; also possibly 2GB USB-sticks with ReactOS running on them, should that somehow become possible. You say you want that project on the date X, to be conducted in the city of Y at the IT faculty of the university there.
Anything is possible. But how do you visualize the aftermath will look like when you've handed out those 2GB USB ReactOS sticks?
Will everybody who recieves it be competent enough to run it by themselves and gain something positive from the experience?
If the experience will be negative for the reciever then you attract negative PR.

I think the targets ( Students, Teachers ) is a bad choice if your goal is solely to collect money. These targets are usually poor.
If your goal is something else then yeah it's good targets.

b)
If anyone wishes to do such an experiment - let us TRY IT! I suggest each such promotion event should not cost more than 200 Euro, probably between 100 and 200. I have no experience with this kind of stuff - if anyone else here suggests doing that, I would be in immediately with 50 Euro!
So you put 100-200 € into the "promotion vending machine" what is your projected outcome? Be it in money, PR points, experiences, etc. etc.
If the promotion event cost you more in time, energy, money or bad unexpected aftermaths. Then the end result will be like my classmate example at the beginning. You would've fought all for nothing. ;) Just my 2 cents. You might know something I don't so who am I to judge, aye.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Dear Witch,

Thank you for your criticism, indeed you are right, so let me clarify:

1. The purpose:
Nope, I am not strictly targeting for money for ReactOS. I am actually targeting for publicity, and ultimately - manpower (developers, but not only). I think ReactOS needs help - and it should SAY IT. I believe ReactOS is an interesting project, but I think it needs more people. I mean not only developers. I know it is a bit rough around the edges, but I think therein, for some, lies a chance - you could develop the 100th music player for Linux or Windows, and it would not be very relevant. Linus did not get famous due to a music player. But what you could do for ReactOS may be highly valued even in 10 years. ReactOS now is, I would say, where Linux was in the mid-1990s. Yes, I am fully aware, many people will just take the T-shirts or cookies or whatever and never ever themselves contribute to ReactOS. But then, one day, they may tell a friend that they heard of that project - and that friend might grow interested.

The other idea is: start organising something, and develop some spirit of cooperation internally. I mean, I am not a fan of this attitude "we cannot do anything more, we do what we can, it is ready when it is ready, we are so few, we cannot change anything etc." that I observe at times. I want that efforts are done and BE SEEN to be done.

2. The methods:
I drew my inspiration actually from microfinancing, see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfinance. In short, when the amounts of e.g. a credit are small, people are willing to repay credits. Cheating is just not worth for small amounts, having in mind the social pressure (own conscience, friends, society in general). - Here, I see the following: ReactOS as a whole does not really have a very organised financing structure; in another post I already criticised the methods of transferring money, and other forum members have criticised the intransparency of the effect of their donations. - Now my idea is: "repayment" here will be investment in an interest we all share. This interest here will be highly confined and the risk - small.

If you donate e.g. for some... lectury in the evening at some university's IT department, held by some ReactOS developer, naturally with free food and drink for all students that wish to attend - then you know exactly WHAT happened with your donation. It does not disappear somewhere for hosting costs with unclear final purpose (if a project fails, what good was its hosting?). - And I think such lectures would be perfectly possible, just talk to some professor, and moreover, some developers are students themselves, so maybe their efforts would be directly honoured by their university and make a good impression to their own professors.

3. My conclusion:
Now, let's make a computation: Let us assume, for 1000 Euro you get ONE idealistic developer - directly or indirectly (i.e, he did not attend, but a friend told him). I.e., five events for 200 Euro each were held, some people were interested, most jumped off again, and at the end, all you have is ONE developer. And he contributes for, say, 3 years. Then if you ask me, it is still extremely profitable for the project. Because if you have to pay some developer in cold hard cash, 1000 Euro are worth just one or two weeks of his time. Even if we assume ten events and 2000 Euro, this is still advantageous for ReactOS.

Witch

Post by Witch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:01 am

You and I think alike, ;) the only difference is I'm ten steps ahead of you. Not because I'm smarter or anything like that. Because all the questions, thoughts and feelings you have right now. I've already been asking for almost 1 year now ever since I joined this forum. I haven't even tried this operating system yet :lol: I've been so busy asking your kind of questions and making suggestions close to yours, that there just haven't been time for me to play with ROS.

So to avoid spamming this forum by answering everything you mentioned. I'm going to try and swat all the flies with one hit. (No promises that I will succeed though!)

Aeneas wrote: 1. The purpose:
Nope, I am not strictly targeting for money for ReactOS. I am actually targeting for publicity, and ultimately - manpower (developers, but not only). I think ReactOS needs help - and it should SAY IT. I believe ReactOS is an interesting project, but I think it needs more people. I mean not only developers.

The other idea is: start organising something, and develop some spirit of cooperation internally. I mean, I am not a fan of this attitude "we cannot do anything more, we do what we can, it is ready when it is ready, we are so few, we cannot change anything etc." that I observe at times. I want that efforts are done and BE SEEN to be done.
Regarding organizing and developing a spirit of cooperation internally. They have been doing that in some way or another since before the time of ReactOS. The problem then was because those who understood how to work with the source code was very limited. So it was a very secret club.
http://www.reactos.org/en/about_history.html

Things have evolved a lot since then but the same problem remains. There are still too few people who can understand this project. To understand it you sort of have to be involved with the source codes. From my point of view that is but there are rare exceptions. So it's still hard to include people from outside that secret club. That's why it's so hard to develop that spirit of cooperation. Not because they don't want to but because tying people from different industries involves a lot of bureaucracy and complexity which is too huge for one person to handle.

And if you compare ReactOS to the big OS projects.
http://www.ohloh.net/p?page=6&query=ope ... sort=users

36 developers is just too few to work with. When it comes to bridging the differences between industries. All those developers are overworked they usually don't have time for side projects. If you can't show them any hard evidence for your suggestions then they won't stop working with what they do best.

Regarding "it's ready when it's ready". The world's best game developers says that while others stick to deadlines. Does Blizzard, Warcraft, Starcraft ring any bells :) If Blizzard would develop an OS from scratch they would say exactly what ReactOS have said to you. It's nothing personal to the users of ReactOS you just don't paint Mona Lisa and release it when the King says so. (Unless they're threatning your life.) But then you'll end up with crap. ReactOS developers just don't want to release Mona Lisa until they're happy with it.

Regarding universities, academics, programmers and PR.
Not all C programmers automatically translates to a would be ReactOS developer. :( Trying to convert programmers in universities with the shotgun method doesn't work.

When it comes to PR I think you should hold your forces until vicmarcal has finished trying to do his thing with the universities. If that succeeds it will have a global effect for the project. Any other PR attempt will only have local effect in comparison. So wait.....
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7455

PS.
Oh yeah I'm not officially connected with the ReactOS team. I mostly work unofficially just to clear up any confusions. :P